xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DaEmOnFiRe

How To Set Up A Dedicated Server Counter-Strike dedicated server setup

Ok, i made this short tutorial on how to start a dedicated server in counter-strike. Hope everyone finds it useful.

Required software:

Steam

Counter-Strike 1.6 / Condition Zero

Dedicated Server (Found in Steam > Tools)

First, you haave to make sure ur router is configured with all hlds ports forwarded to your ip address. To access your router, you type the default gateway address (E.g. 192.168.1.1) in internet explorer and enter your details when prompted. Then navigate your way till you find a section called 'port range forwarding', usually found in 'applications and gaming'. Once there, add an entry 'hlds'. In the port range, from start to end, put 27015 (assuming thats the port ur using), in protocol, select 'Both', in IP address, put ur ip , and tick 'Enable'

*NOTE* Only do this step if you are experiencing problems with server detection.

Next, you have to install the latest version of AMX Mod X, found in http://www.amxmodx.org/. You can access your server mods in C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\*YourAccountName*\dedicated server\cstrike\addons (It should be there if AMXX was installed correctly).

Ok, from there its up to you which mods you install on ur server. If you want deathmatch, for example, click the plugins link on the AMX mod X website, navigate your way to the mod, and follow its installation instructions. A typical mod installation would involve excracting the plugin file, compiling it, then adding a line in the plugins.ini file, found in the configs folder.

If you need further information or are experiencing problems, feel free to PM me.

Or you can use the hldsupdatetool. This version is more effiecient and would take take up less resources if its a "dedicated" server

Window hldsupdatetool installation

First you would need to download and install the tool here Install the hldsupdatetool in the C:/hlds or which ever drive you choose. Now to install the server you want to host. Go to Start > Run > cmd > cd\ > cd hlds and run the hldsupdatetool.exe. To install counter-strike 1.6 server type hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game cstrike -dir c:/hlds

and it will download the files to run a counter-strike 1.6 server. To see a list of game use the hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game list .

Linux hldsupdatetool Installation

Agian we will need to download the tool to update the server but this time we're going to download the linux version. I'll show you how to install a server through SSH

mkdir hlds
This will make a new folder name hlds

cd hlds
This will change you to hlds directory

wget http://storefront.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.bin
This will download the tool to install a server on linux

chmod +x hldsupdatetool.bin
This will make the tool executable

Now run

./steam
and you should get

Checking bootstrapper version …Getting version X of Steam HLDS Update ToolDownloading. . . . . . . . . . .Steam Linux Client updated, please retry the command

Now to install a counter-strike 1.6 server

./steam -command update -game cstrike -dir /home/hlds
Now it should download the linux version of the counter-strike server

Running the server

Windows - Go to C:\hlds and create a short of hlds.exe right click on the hlds.exe short and go to poperties

add this after C:\hlds\hlds.exe "-console -game cstrike +port 27015 +map de_dust +maxplayers 16 -autoupdate" without quotes save and run the hlds.exe shortcut

Linux - go to the hlds directory and type ./hlds_run -console -game cstrike +port 27015 +map de_dust +maxplayers 16 -autoupdate

If your trying to run the server behind a router go to https://portforward.com/error.cgi

To get your ip go to https://www.whatismyip.com/

Edited by biggiebi (see edit history)

What you just explained there is how to fully update half life dedicated server through an update tool and run the server through a console. That is a good addition to my somewhat brief tutorial because i already see i have neglected to explain how to update the dedicated server program. However, i see i have already explained how to forward ports for the server if you are running behind a router as well as how to add typical mods. I guess the tutorial for my title should instead have been 'How to configure your router to run a dedicated server and add mods' or something similar.But thanks for that good addition as an explanation of a fast way to actually run hlds efficiently was needed.

Oh, I would have thought it was HL + Mods, VNC server and something like no-ip's tracker (I'd put apache on to explain). Nice, even though I don't play it, I play similar.

Oh, I would have thought it was HL + Mods, VNC server and something like no-ip's tracker (I'd put apache on to explain). Nice, even though I don't play it, I play similar.

VNC is to connect to a remote host? no-ip's is pretty much useless

Ok i did everything whit the router for my dedicated server but it aint still working :) My aplication is hldsmy start to end is 27015my protocool is both and my ip addres is 192.168.1.(210) (im not sure im supposed to use that muber 210 )and the enable box is checki need help fast

Edited by Deviling (see edit history)

Does your computer have a static ip Deviling?

If so (or if you don't know and want to try this anyway) go to:

Start -> run

Type in 'cmd'

Type ipconfig in the command prompt that pops up and get your ip address.

This is the address that you need to forward the ports to.

If you find that after you reboot your modem you can't run servers any more do another ipconfig (above) and check to see if your ip is the same.

If your ip is different visit: https://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm it explains how to setup a static ip on your computer.

-HellFire

My friend wants to make a dedicated server that would have 8 slots for the game. The one we currently have for the dedicated server is a Pentium 3, 450Mhz, 128MB RAM, WIN2k, 4GB hard drive. Is that enough to make it into a dedicated server?

Its certainly not enough, and he will have an extremely hard time, as 128 mb ram is the complete minimum. I would recommend he gets 1GB at least. The pentium is also little, the processor is very slow, and hard drive is little. The outcome of setting up a dedicated server with those specs will be serious lag issues.

quote:

Ok, i made this short tutorial on how to start a dedicated server in counter-strike. Hope everyone finds it useful.

Required software:

Steam

Counter-Strike 1.6 / Condition Zero

Dedicated Server (Found in Steam > Tools)

First, you haave to make sure ur router is configured with all hlds ports forwarded to your ip address. To access your router, you type the default gateway address (E.g. 192.168.1.1) in internet explorer and enter your details when prompted. Then navigate your way till you find a section called 'port range forwarding', usually found in 'applications and gaming'. Once there, add an entry 'hlds'. In the port range, from start to end, put 27015 (assuming thats the port ur using), in protocol, select 'Both', in IP address, put ur ip , and tick 'Enable'

*NOTE* Only do this step if you are experiencing problems with server detection.

Next, you have to install the latest version of AMX Mod X, found in http://www.amxmodx.org/. You can access your server mods in C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\*YourAccountName*\dedicated server\cstrike\addons (It should be there if AMXX was installed correctly).

Ok, from there its up to you which mods you install on ur server. If you want deathmatch, for example, click the plugins link on the AMX mod X website, navigate your way to the mod, and follow its installation instructions. A typical mod installation would involve excracting the plugin file, compiling it, then adding a line in the plugins.ini file, found in the configs folder.

If you need further information or are experiencing problems, feel free to PM me.

Kl, i will try this even though i don't have counter strike, my cousin plays it, he is like rank 30 lol

anywayz, ill set it up except my port forwarding with my router and ISP isn't so simple ;)

Oh well, it's worth a try

-Lewis

Demolaynyc that is not good enough you would have extreme lag the only thing I could see you doing with that is maybe to man private server but with some serious lag-justin