xisto Community
DaEmOnFiRe

Mortal Kombat Vs Tekken Help me decide..

Well, i've been trying to decide which game is better, tekken, or mortal kombat. I'm not specifying any game in particular, im just talking about the whole series. In my opinion, the characters in mortal kombat are much better than tekken, as they always repeat. However, the fighting system of tekken owns the one of mortal kombat. Anyone got any ideas on a tiebreaker?

Mortal Kombat pretty much beats out Tekken in pretty much everything. However the fighting mechanics would have to be a a very close tie. Both have their good qualities and it's bad. The bad being timing for the combo moves and delay in pulling them off (don't talk about skills on that one).Of course wait to the fanboys come to read this and post then we get to hear it all :).

I personally don't see any way that mortal kombat could hold a candle to tekken. I mean, sure mortal kombat was an amazing series especially when it first came out, don't get me wrong. But the more recent games have barely been worth playing, and even the old ones often simply added new characters and nothing more between iterations.Personally tekken seems to actually rely a tad bit more on skill then just button mashing that MK seems to love. That is enough right there for me to prefer Tekken but overall I prefer almost everything technically about Tekken. Again, not to say MK is far behind just that in a win/lose scenario I say Tekken beats MK on most marks. The only one I'd agree with was the comment on the characters as the tekken set tries to keep it more contained while the MK universe is obviously much more far out. That falls to a personal preference but I guess I'd give that to MK.So yes, both series have been wonderful and have contributed lots to fighting games overall, but my vote would go for the tekken series.

ok i know i am old...but yes i had the first playstation the week it was released in europe...i got into Tekken but i had played mortal combat 1 in the arcade..I must agree with my ice skating freind jeigh on this one..I have literally played all of the tekken and Mk series from the start...imho Tekken wins!!! no two ways about it...it really is the better game..the better experience to play...my final words on the subject...my mind is a bit hazy right now but im pretty sure in Tekken 2 Jun can carry off a 42 hit combo move? or maybe its 35? but what i do remeber it was SOO freaking hard to pull off !~! ive literally had my mates throw a controller at my head as I play her and winding up into the combo move..they just know they are dead..but 40 moves later :))) Tekken is like a night at the ballet with a beautiful woman and a bottle of vintage champagne.....Mortal Combat is a cheap slow dance with the desperate fat girl thats been standing at the bar all night watching you get drunk waiting for her chance to seduce you :))LOL!!Marky;)

I vote for Mortal Kombat series beyond the point of doubt the best yet, as per my opinion. I will go for MK because I have had a more connection with its characters and fighting techniques since probably the very first version of Mortal Kombat was released.I don't know why, but characters of Tekken didn't appeal to me, maybe inpart due to the reason that I have a bias towards those of Mortal Kombat. But no doubt, if we start poling, MK will win over a fare share of audience.

I appreciate your feedback on this guys. From what i see it looks like a tie though :) i guess the games are pretty much even, they just have different strong points and qualities. But i would definitely appreciate further comments from anyone :)

I really like the fighting system of Tekken. Since I got Tekken 3 for the PS1 several years ago I don't change this game.Mortal Kombat is good, I played it in SNES, I mean mean MK1, MK2, MK3, trilogy, and the latest one in PSx. It have excellent characters and movements but Tekken is much better.

Although all of us has a rather reason of opinion based on the two, where mortal combat is directed towards more of the bloody wanting consumers, and tekken the more fluid fighting consumers. If we were to compare and pick one of the two I would probably go with Tekken on the overall rating scale. Mortal Kombat was great back in the day with 1, 2, and 3 but it fell off its pedastal after the other sequels. When tekken entered the competition of fighting games, it stepped up the standard for fighting games. Ever since moretal combat tried to go 3D it failed in its gameplay mechanics. The fatalities all by itself consists of more explosions then the more gruesome seen in parts 1 and 2. I guess from then on out they ran out of ideas. And if you look at the more recent sequels of the series they are going as far as adding more mini games to sway fans of the series that they completely ran out of ideas and know their gameplay mechanics is kinda broken. Its those mini games that is distracting the users from the real core of the game. I admit that those are a great addition to the game itself but its also a good marketing scheme to persuade a gamer or fan of the game to buy a game that is falling apart.Tekken however is improving its reputation as a fighting game everystep of the way. In each of the sequels you always get improvemnts that affect the gameplay in a huge way whether its new strategies or just plain graphical awe. For example, in part 1 to 2, they introduced a vast of new characters plus new moves that allowed a appointent to counter the other, or just plain tackling them and smashing them on the ground. From 2 to 3 they introduced more new characters and change in gameplay where you can counter a counter. From 3 to 4 they introduced the wall where you can combo and use the oppenent as a punching bag if you knock them into the wall. From 4 to 5 almost all the characters return in some way or form, and almost all angles of adjustment on the gameplay took place. Creating new modes new gamplay mechanics and so on. And from 5 to 6 we will have to just wait to see what they have in store for us, because honestly namco is bringing the tekken series to a good run. Last but not least, I wish they bring back the tag team mechanics, that was probably a game I liked because of the tag feature and the various cool combos you can do with as a team.

I would stay with Tekken,,I ve just played Tekken I,,but I liked it a lot. After tekken I,,I ve enjoyed watching tekken II and the others,, I go to the arcades and enjoy watching people matching each other,,is fun seeing how good this guys get,,,all the movements and all the stretegies they come upon..If you compare it to mortal combat,,is like a totaly different game..It is as if Mortal Kombat had its time,,and now its time is over..It is as if Mortal Kombat is a very good old game..

I'd have to go with Mortal Kombat since it's been around for a good while, so the stature on that series can't be expected to fail. Then again, just like many other people, I grew up playing and loving Mortal Kombat and everything about it. Now with the latest game, Armageddon, it's even harder to look away from and say you want the other one. I guess if you really can't decide then you can try renting them either through a psychical store or an online one.

I better like tekken, it has more reality in it. Mortal Kombat is way to out of reality, and it has a lot of gore tooo..You understand what I mean...Too much of a thing can ruin the whole thing...

I would stay with Tekken,,I ve just played Tekken I,,but I liked it a lot. After tekken I,,I ve enjoyed watching tekken II and the others,, I go to the arcades and enjoy watching people matching each other,,is fun seeing how good this guys get,,,all the movements and all the stretegies they come upon..If you compare it to mortal combat,,is like a totaly different game..It is as if Mortal Kombat had its time,,and now its time is over..It is as if Mortal Kombat is a very good old game..

The better game is Mortal Kombat this is because:

- Mortal Kombat requires skill whereas Tekken allows button bashers.
- Tekken doesnt have the exclusivity of Mortal Kombat which was the first beat em up game to have Blood and Violence.
- You had to be over 15 to buy the Megadrive version. The snes had no blood, although the graphics looked better.
- Mortal Kombat creates the most impact when you kill someone and finish them with a Fatality.
- Final reason; Mortal Kombat was played and chosen by true old skool hard core gamers; not these new skool gamers who just like graphics and no gameplay

I also agree that Mortal Combat is better in game play, even though I didn't play Tekken to much, just for fun and with friends just for spending spare time, however when I played mortal combat on a Sega megadrive, don't know how much years ago, I and my friends even were buying books where we could read the button combinations to different fatalities and were trying them out, and it was something cool at that time :rolleyes: the NES version of mortal combat wasn't so addictive, maybe because of the graphics and quite different gameplay..I didn't even have Internet at those years, so it wasn't so easy to get the combinations, you needed to get some book or manual. :P