xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bombshop

What Is Your Favourite Blog Software ..tell me the deadly secret of yours :)

I am planning to design a web site about computers and security stuff. I think the easiest way is to set up a blog so i am trying to find out which is the best.I used Wordpress and it seemed fine.So what are your favourites (cons and pros also)

I cannot be of much help in this regard. If you want a blog, the only one I have tried my hands at is WordPress. Pretty good. I have two blogs running on this engine and it has not given me a problem to date.

But if it is a full fledged website that you are looking at, then I would suggest Drupal. Check out the features at https://www.drupal.org/

Ofcourse, some (few from Xisto forum) find the node system of Drupal difficult and they find it hard to implement a feature - but if you ask me, I am pretty impressed with stuff it can do and I have been using it for running my website.

If you do not want to go for Drupal (which incidentally can be setup as a blog), then you can go for other CMS like Mamboo, Joomla and others. I am sure if you want to know more about this, other Xisto members would be glad to give their views.

As far as blog engine goes, it is Wordpress for me. :)

Yes, Wordpress is the way to go if you really want a blog, but I'm not quite sure how useful it would be in your case. As Vyoma said, a CMS would be a better solution. However, in order to decide which one to use, you will have to spend some time trying them all.

If you do not want to go for Drupal (which incidentally can be setup as a blog), then you can go for other CMS like Mamboo, Joomla and others.

I would just like to add that Joomla is a CMS created from Mambo when a part of the Mambo developing team left. I believe it was because Mambo was about to become a paid CMS. That's why they created Joomla, which is now far better, has a greater community, is being developed constantly - and is free.

get the latest version not the one installed via Fantastico

I'm not sure if Fantastico has the latest stable version (1.0.12), but if you are talking about Joomla! 1.5 Beta, I would strongly advise against using it. As the name itself says, it is still in beta, and therefore not secure/stable enough for any serious web site.

i havent tried so much blog software i only tried "wordpress" and kina cool ...easy to use,install,manage ....MY Vote is For "wordPress" unless i see better :)...

Well, I use Wordpress as my blog software, I find it very easy to use and it has all I need, even to much, it has really lots of features and even more extra stuff is written for it, but beware of spam, because those spam bots really likes to comment *BLEEP*, as far as I know wordpress by default now has Akismet, so you have one of the strongest security from spam. Good luck. :)

Wordpress is the best.all its features are really good and it would not give you any problem even when your traffic reaches high level,configuring wordpress as per your needs is damn easy and there are a lot of plugin out there to help you.plugins add a lot of other feature to your site and make it interactive.wordpress is the way to go to for the best blogging software.even blogspot software is also good and what i found is that google search engines are more biased towards the blogspot but anyways i am not very sure about it.i would suggest go for wordpress,the flexibility and interactivity which wordpress provide is unmatchable.morever installing wordpress is also very easy.go wordpress!

I must agree with the majority: WordPress. ^^ It's the easiest to set up (through Fantastico OR manually) and provides plenty of features and adjustments you can play with. The fact that you can install extra plug-ins to enhance your blog (or CMS, because it's becoming more and more like a CMS now) only sweetens the deal.

If you do plan to use WordPress, make sure you get the newest version (2.1) here. The one in Fantastico is 2.04, and that's just not new enough. 2.1 has a lot of new stuff, including a remade appearance for the log-in page.

Whatever it is, happy blogging!

Serena

I'd definitely say WordPress, because it would allow us to cahnge whatever we wanted it to be, we can change the blog into a professional websites and even make a complete portal by integrating it with bbpress the forum software created by the creators of Wordpress. So go for it.