xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Ant And Larvae Vector Art for a blog article

Well, here is another one of vector art that I created. It took roughly 2 hours from concept to final stage in Inkscape.

My friend who is in the team of authors for my blog has written an extensive write-up on a nature related topic that dealt with parasatic blue butterflies (their larvae), ants and wasps. I was pretty impressed by the write up and thought I should make a image to accompany with it. So, I started doodling with stuff and got the concept. Then I fired up the Inkscape and this is what I have:

Posted Image

I attempted an caricature-cartoon like feel and also wanted it to look like someone had interrupted the ant in whatever it was doing.

Comment and critique please. Though I would not be changing anything in this image, comments and feedback would help me improve my skills.

Total Effort: 2 hrs

Software: Inkscape

Cute :) I really can't think of anything bad on this picture, because it is really well done. I like the colours, especially the shade of green used for the background. Heh, I also like the larva's eyes, they are quite interesting.Actually, the only thing that is a bit weird is the "hand" holding the larva - the angle somehow doesn't seem right - but it's just me :)

Actually, the only thing that is a bit weird is the "hand" holding the larva - the angle somehow doesn't seem right - but it's just me :)

Yes, I did have a bit of trouble with it. May be I should have studied a bit more of reference pictures.

:makes note to self to study more reference pictures:

Actually, I was in a bit of hurry. The blog post is scheduled to get published in two more days. I was a bit tentative that the following days I would be busy with my day job - so I did it a bit hurriedly.

Thanks for the comments pyost.

PS: pyost - not seen you around in DA for quite a while. By the way, I have put up a bit larger version there.
Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

lovely one ... i liked it so much even though it's kinda BOBOLW and i cant too think of any thing bad or see anything that is not in place .... the pic looks simple and nice ... and i encourage you to do something like this more often to inspire the audence :) :) ..and should\would Xisto make a Designing competetion in the future to give the chance to every1 to bring up thier skills ...anyway it's just an idea :):):)

Well, thanks joe.k. Thanks for the encouraging words. And as for the Designing competition is concerned, I think it is something the admins would decide.

Nice, simple shading. Quirky picture....they seem to be quite concerned that someone interrupted their...alone time. Or...whatever they might've been in the middle of! :) I think that a bit of implied texture would've been a nice addition to this piece. It's good in it's simplicity and shading, but I think a bit of texture would've really added some more character. :)

Thanks leafbunk for your comments. And thanks to your suggestions too.

I did try a bit of texturing in the beginning but then it lost all focus and became to distractive. I do not know if texturing it was a bad idea or I do not have enough skills to get it right. In the end, I decided on having a clean picture than a distractive one at the expense of some experimentation experience I would have gained.

So, this is how it ended up. And about the 'interruption' - well, now that it has been published along with the article, you can all see it at the blog post article.

:)