xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Winzip 10 Vunerability/update To Winzip 11

Although this is a month old and most likely people have already done this, but for those who who use winzip their is a somewhat major vulnerability with WINZIP in which they patched it with build 7245.

http://www.winzip.com/wz7245.htm

This vulnerability could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on a system with an unpatched installation of WinZip 10.0 if the user was to visit a malicious web page. While there are no known exploits as of this announcement, WinZip 10.0 users are strongly urged to update to build 7245, due to the critical nature of the vulnerability.

Of course by now Winzip 11 has come out and fixed this so it would be wise to download winzip 11 for any security updates that might have been done to winzip with in the month of this build and Winzip 11.

posted by me on Xisto.

Same here I only use winzip when I have to upload stuff to the forums since it's the only software that is accepted. (could be changed I think).But like it said the odds looked pretty low that other knew about this and set up a program on their site for those who would visit them.

Why do people still use Winzip?
WinRAR is far far superior...

I agree. WINRAR is supirior. I use both Winzip and Winrar. It was nice to see some one point this thing out! I never knew my WINZIP 10 was velnurable!

Thanks for the info mate!

WinRAR!

I do not use WinZip anymore. Long back I used it, but the latest setup of my PC does not even have a version of it installed. I got hold of WinRAR and am sticking to it.

Anyways, thanks for the update saint-michael. Any software, we need to be aware of the security breaches and need to update it with the patches made available as often as possible.

Well I first notice it when I got an update pop when I open winzip a few weeks ago. I ignored it thinking they forgot something, but when I got it again mentioning that vulnerabilities and on top of the fact Winzip 11 was out. I check it out see what was going on and junk.Rao, I don't think anyone did except for those at winzip and the person who found it. Of course we don't have to worry about what could happen if people did find this out earlier.

Same here, I haven't used WinZIP for god knows how long.WinZIP take soooooo looonngggg before an update, like ridiculously long lol.Nice to see they are still updating it of course.I don't know anyone that still uses it though.