xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RichieRich1405241538

MySpace! The Megaprofiler! Does Myspace know it ALL??

Myspace.....a place for friends....many many friends. A entity in itself, Myspace. Myspace has millions of members spanning the entire planet. And the information collected from each person is a detailed explanation of, well their entire lives. That is, if you give it that info. In which many of its users do. I don't know about you, but the idea of something having that much knowledge is kinda scary. What do you think. Is Myspace evil? I think it is. It is like a drug. I know many of my friends that are "addicted" to Myspace. They sit each day "feeding" its data banks with input. From surveys to comments to their friends, 3 hrs of their day given to Myspace. Any Myspace "addicts" out there??

Myspace.....a place for friends....many many friends. A entity in itself, Myspace. Myspace has millions of members spanning the entire planet. And the information collected from each person is a detailed explanation of, well their entire lives. That is, if you give it that info. In which many of its users do. I don't know about you, but the idea of something having that much knowledge is kinda scary. What do you think. Is Myspace evil? I think it is. It is like a drug. I know many of my friends that are "addicted" to Myspace. They sit each day "feeding" its data banks with input. From surveys to comments to their friends, 3 hrs of their day given to Myspace. Any Myspace "addicts" out there??

I have never nor will I ever be part of any of those blog sites or friend sites like Myspace, Facebook, etc. I think they're really silly. And yes, there are of course addicts out there. What's worse though is that they're self-absorbed addicts. I think that it's dangerous to put so much of yourself out there for everyone to read. Sure, mainly it's just your friends and such, but of course there are always the creepy people. You know. The creepy ones, that prowl the myspace and facebook accounts, making "friends" and constantly watching them, trying to become friendly enough so that they can meet said friend. It's just weird. I don't trust people enough to tell them all about my day and life and all the friends I have. I suppose though that addictions can arise with any activity. It's not fair to judge someone because they like to spend time doing a particular thing. Even if it is a lot of time. However, I don't think it's safe to offer so much personal information in a centralized area for everyone to read.

It's funny that with all these cases of pedophiles getting kids from myspace that parents or the government have yet to shut it down. forget the security stuff they say they are going to put in, that is easily bypassed with fake info and what not. That goes without saying that if they tried to make a age cut off for the the site yet again, fake info and all that good stuff. Plus it's not like your going to see these people anyways unless they are legit friends and junk.Although I have a myspace account I don't use it I just add people from the forums I know and thats it. IF they want to know about me they can ask.Of course what I find even more funneri is hte way these people load their page with junk like movies and music files, it takes forever to load and junk.

I am both a Facebook addict and a MySpace user myself. However, whenever I use my Facebook account, I use it with great care. I ensure that I lock up all the sensitive materials and limit my profile in one network (in this case, it's Facebook). Facebook has many safety features that MySpace doesn't have. One major thing that MySpace doesn't have is the network feature. This network feature is an essential part to better security because you can just lock your material for network view or just friend-only view. You can even go as far as personal-view/invite-only view.

Of course there's going to be fraud. That is why usually, I only add the people who I know. I don't just add random people who wants to add me (yes, I know some friends who would just add friends just for fun). Furthermore, Facebook has the option for you to place your profile into limited profile mode, where you tell Facebook that a certain friend can only see parts of your profile.

MySpace is safer than what the media says it is. MySpace has the option for you to lock up your profile from other people, you can also choose to block a person from adding you before you even add the person on your friends list.

These networking sites have been proven quite safe, if you put their security system in good use. They provide you with the tools, but you have to be the ones who use the tools provided. They aren't going to spoon feed you.

Facebook

+ Heavily secured

+ Nice interface

+ Network feature

- Not customizable

MySpace

+ Can add music

+ HTML/CSS enabled

- Less security features than Facebook

- Looks ugly by default

- Acts too much like Google

xboxrulz

I think more work should be done with myspace. A few ideas ive had lately- -If there are SOOOOO many kids on myspace, and quite a large percentile having the SAME kind of survey in it, why cant this information be used by marketing analysts? Not to say Myspace needs any more money, but could you think of a better place to find the collective thoughts of almost any age range? -With all of this hype (and cash) on the net, why dont the myspace bigwigs start taking some physical steps to make Myspace count. So far theyve played secondary roles with innovations (myspace mobile@ helio etc), but how great would it be if they began funding operations to better youth shelters, rec centers, musical development programs, and other things to better the community around them. Apart from actually using the goldmine of the operation theyve got for something good, they just might give themselves a name that separates itself from the overwhelmingly strong representation of primary capitalism. - Myspace has made some great ways to keep thier users safe. But the main problem is that Myspace has a nasty habait of not telling thier users that they are there. More often than most times the users simply dont know about the security measures they can enable with a simple click of a button. For example, the "private profile" thing is almost the greatest thing theyve done, and its been realized recently, but not by enough people to really make it an asset to Myspace.

Myspace isnt bad, its main concept is to make it what you want to be a place to network and meet new people. My myspace however is a place where I am set up to meet only past friends that I have lost in touch with and my current friends. Anyone that I dont know I usually reject them as friend requests. Many on myspace like to build up their friends list for popularity, or should I say to make it so they think they are popular.But again, its their "space" they do as they wish. Everyone on myspace create a myspace for their very own reasons whether it is bad or good. I for one have been using it for networking with my friends ever since I signed up. Some of the key features that I like with myspace is that if I forgot a friends birthday I could easily log on to check when their birthday is. Or if they are having a party they would always post up a event invite, its very convenient and is a lot better than trying to call a mass of friends on the phone just trying to get in touch with them so they know about an event that will be taking place.People that seems to reject myspace, I believe are either insecure about the number of friends they actually have or just plain dont have a use for it because they are busy with the lives as is and have no time for the internet.And yes, its true that some people are revealing a lot of information about themselves on myspace, and I think its stupid. I personally dont reveal anything about myself on myspace, I just have an account that shows that its me and Im on it so others can contact me when they cant reach me by phone.I have seen a lot of hilarious things that has happened on myspace, and just plain stupid things. But I believe that its a really well made networking place for friends and family.