xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
yoofus

Changing A Dynamic Ip How to change your dynamic IP.

In this tutorial I will tell you how to change a dynamic IP if you have Windows XP.

First of all go to - Start >> Run - and type 'cmd'.

A window with a black background and grey text. In this window type 'ipconfig' and text should come up saying:

IP Address ............. *IP HERE*

Subnet Mask ................ *SUBNET MASK HERE*

Default Gateway .......... *DEFAULT GATEWAY*

Write this down on a bit of paper on in notepad. You will need them later.

Now type 'ipconfig/release' - this will terminate your internet connection - but don't get scared, you will turn it back on later.

Now go to - Start >> Connect to >> Show all connections - right click your internet connection and click Properties. Now click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click Properties.

Once you've click properties, tick/mark the circle that says 'Use the following IP Address' and type in the numbers you wrote down earlier on. Then click ok.

You will be back on the previous window. Click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click Properties. This time tick/mark the circle that says 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. Click Ok. Click Close.

Now go back onto Command Prompt and type 'ipconfig/renew' this will restart your internet connection and hopefully your IP has changed. If not then repeat the whole process

I hope this tutorial helps someone out there. :)

lol, its helpful m8 but the problem is that u can just get a proxy lol, they do the same job if you intregate the same way u did, i am always on a proxy so that io dont get caught doing "stuff" lol, but for a first timer, i gave ur tut a 10/10 as any person could follow it and it is very clear, ur cool, keep on making tuts and i am sure u will become something one day on this forum

I am not sure what the purpose of this tutorial is. If you want to change your dynamic ip and obtain a new one from your internet provider, you can do it much easier.You just have to type "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew". in the command screen. By default you would have the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option on. So, why would I change that option and use my old IP address instead, and then change it back immediately? Has it some other purpose? I don't get it :)

very good tutorial you did.it must help some yas new at comp.hope more and more useful post like urs come into being...as coming on:REP+

If you are on an ISP with little activity you may still get the same IP back. The IP addresses are assigned from a pool that the ISP has set aside for dynamic IP addresses. If you use "ipconfig /release" you should wait a couple of minutes before you type the "ipconfig /renew" that way your old IP should be assigned to another user and you will get a new IP address.If you have a problem with an IP address because others on your ISP are misusing the service. Write a small batch file for the commands and run the "ipconfig /release" from the command line at night before you shut the computer off. Then the next morning when you start the computer you will be assigned a new IP.Nils

Im not sure why you would want to get a new IP address, but at least in my case all I need to do is close the connection by right clicking the status button on the left corner of my screen, and then re-connecting after a few seconds.

I cant seem to terminate my IP

Changing A Dynamic Ip

I don't know but for some reason when I type in "ipconfig/release" it then tells me that "The requested operation requires elevation". What do I do?

-reply by Andrew.V

It is really nice little tutorial. but can you tell in detail where is its application? what's the use of changing dynamic IP address. Everytime you get disconnected, the DNS will give you new IP address automatically. So, tell the applicability of changing the IP address?

Regarding "ipconfig/release"

Changing A Dynamic Ip

When I actually type on Command prompt

"ipconfig/release" it produces an error showing -- The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"

:blink:

What to do for that ???

-question by --DC--

Routers....

Changing A Dynamic Ip

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

That's because you're behind a router that gives your computer its IP address. In order for this to work, you have to plug the modem directly to your computer. Otherwise, go into your router's interface and release the IP there. If you renew it too soon, you'll probably get the same IP back. Some ISPs dynamically assign a static IP to a MAC address from their pool of IPs. No matter what you do, you'll always have the same IP unless you clone your MAC address. Hope this helps!

-reply by Tony