xisto Community
iGuest

Computer FTP Programs Both Free Pay types

The only 2 DESCENT ones i know of is CuteFTP & SmartFTP, SmartFTP is the free one and so is CuteFTP for 30 days it's worth paying for the software but im not allowed to buy anything online atm so nothing being bought its out of the question really they both can be found by just entering them in yahoo or any search engine adding at the end Download obviously any way these are the two i only know about if you know any others that are better could you please reply and let me and others know what they are or just give me a PM when you can also could you agree or disagree weather my opinions on the 2 programs are correct or not.thank you very much owner of Morex Gaming (Jarvis)

You are correct both of them are good ftp programs, another free one is Fresh FTP, you can find it http://www.freshwebmaster.com/
'>here.

Fresh FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a tool for webmaster to upload or download files (html, picture, web log, etc) from a remote server. It supports multithreading for simultaneous transfer, file and directory upload, resume, and more. This software is 100% free, no charge, no spyware.

Best regards,

FileZilla is excellent!Also, it's also free to get, different from the ones you spoke of.The FTP extension for Firefox is also pretty well design, though I don't like this kind of extension that makes the slow Firefox even slower.There's also the ftp command from DOS... err... nah...Just stick to Filezilla =)

+1 for FileZilla again :PI've tried SmartFTP, CuteFTP, DOS and the extension for Firefox. All of them fail in comparison to the ease of use, stability and functionality of FileZilla.The only issue I have with FileZilla is that my personal settings are never saved, only the history of connections.+1 to FileZill server as well! FTP Server for your webserver (unless it already has one).

The only issue I have with FileZilla is that my personal settings are never saved, only the history of connections.

Do you have a kind of registry cleaner ? This could explain the loss of your settings, if you choose "save in registry" at installation time.
Proably this could be solved by reinstalling anc choosing "xml type settings storing".

I've tried both registry and XML one. I do have a registry cleaner, however the settings still don't stay when I don't use the cleaner.I'm not too fussed as the only settings I change is what panels are shown lol.

I don't want to post stupid things, but I think that getting across the point that Filezilla is great is an important cause, so...

+1 Filezilla

And I also want to strongly vouch for the Filezilla Server. It's a great piece of software, and is really useful for running an FTP server on your computer for those times when you want to send people files and the MSN Messenger file-sending is annoying you (and it usually does). I've never used it in a production environment, but I don't think it's ready yet for those kinds of usages, and for personal use it's amazing!

Enjoy.

And I also want to strongly vouch for the Filezilla Server.

+1 for FileZilla server.You know what ? I used Filezilla server for creating a RedHat Linux install server ! My MS-Windows workstation is a FileZilla ftp server, and in RedHat and in Mandriva there is an option "install from a ftp server". Works really fine, allows installing several Linux systems simultaneously. Insn't this nice ? A Crosoft system helping installation of Linux servers !

i am new here how much can I up load using a free account from this web site, I found that on other free website I could only upload 2 megs per file max, but I need at least 5 megs so I can upload flash programs and other things.Also what free subdomain do you get, is it the same as this site eg...
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
?

i am new here how much can I up load using a free account from this web site, I found that on other free website I could only upload 2 megs per file max, but I need at least 5 megs so I can upload flash programs and other things.
Also what free subdomain do you get, is it the same as this site eg...
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
?

When you have the enough credits to request a free subdomain you decide which name you want, mine is similar to the example you give.

Best regards,

When I use cuteFTP all my flash and mp3 get deleted form my website! But my html files stay. lucky i made back up, I have tried other FTP programs and they do the same. And I can't up load mp3 or flash. When I do it says "upload complete" but when I look it is not there. Also my web space stays the same so I no it is not hidden or something, is it meant to do that?

Edited by flashdiamond (see edit history)

When I use cuteFTP all my flash and mp3 get deleted form my website! But my html files stay. lucky i made back up, I have tried other FTP programs and they do the same. And I can't up load mp3 or flash. When I do it says "upload complete" but when I look it is not there. Also my web space stays the same so I no it is not hidden or something, is it meant to do that?

On each host do you have this problem ? is it on Xisto ?
You know, some hosts refuse mp3's, they let the ftp client upload it and then delete it with an error message like "incorrect file type mp3".