xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
demolaynyc

Opinions On MS Visual Studio Express

I just found out that Microsoft has these open source projects. They are Visual C++, Web Developer, J# and a few other open-source software. I find it really interesting that Microsoft is offering these programs for free. I'm specifically interested in Visual C++, not because of its beginner friendly GUI but because it's the program we use for school.I just want to know your thoughts and opinions on this program. I haen't downloaded them yet so I'm asking you now before I may waste lots of HD space. Does anyone here use it?

One correction, Visual Studio Express is not open source but it is free. For those who do not know, Visual Studio Express is a collection of tools from Microsoft that closely matches the full Visual Studio 2005. The mail Visual Studio page can be found at https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/. Microsoft started this program to foster the amateur programmers in the community.

My opinion is that I completely love the whole package. I mainly use VB.NET Express at home and I have few complaints for a free program. I have done some fairly complicated programs and they all have been developed in Express. I also use the full Enterprise version at work so I do have something to compare them to. From what I can tell, Express has about 95% of the functionality of the full version. Like I said, not too bad for a free product. The biggest setback for me is there is no multithreaded debugging in the Express edition. Besides that and a few other things I see absolutely no reason everyone shouldnât have a copy. If it were up to me, Express would be deployed with every version of Windows.

Well tansqrx, you were right in pointing out Visual Studio Express edition as free not open source. I really like this package. They give SQL Server Express edition too for free (Embedded with Visual Studio Express Edition). That's cool ain't it?

I was really surprised that microsoft entered into such a move of providing a very good product like visual studion for free (Express edition or not). It does have most of the features of Visual Studion standard and premium editions. Worth having in your PC boy. Honestly.

If you want a comparison chart of what you are missing in your express edition, follow the link below.

https://www.visualstudio.com/

All in all, it is a great product from microsoft, which is more it is absolutely free for life!

To be honest, I find VS Express a load of bollocks. Quite literally. The interface is too crowded and it takes forever to download and install (even on a large connection).The Express versions are free because they have limited features compared to their non-express counterparts (which cost quite a lot).They could have included support for VB6, but oh no.

i think the express editions of visual studio 2005 is a great idea! for us people on a small budget that cannot afford thousands of dollars for development programs, this is great!yes, they do have a few reduced features but basically for most amateur programmers what they have is all you need. Its great that microsoft has finally decided to release this version to the public for free!it is most defiantly worth the download, give it a go right away!