xisto Community
niran

Help :: CMOS Checksum Error!

Hi all,

My hard disk was having some problems! If I open photoshop like large memory eating applications, after some times my system will automatically reboots! Thats why I had decided to format the hard disk and check the hard disk for errors! I was fixing the bad sectors using Hiren's boot CD ( http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd ) 's Partition Commander option! Its worked fine for about half an hour! and fixed some bad sectors in my hard disk. But unfortunately in the middle, I lost my power supply! and the system was not having any UPS! :P After that, when I restart my system, its always displaying as:

"CMOS checksum error

Time and Date will be reseted"

and each time time and date will be reseted to 01/01/2002. I had changed the CMOS battery! But thats not helped me! If anybody knows, how to fix the problem, please do reply here!

Thanks! :P

It is possible for the CMOS chip to become corrupted, which could cause a CMOS checksum error. If this is the case, you will need to replace the CMOS chip itself. I wouldn't recommend this as a first resort. See if you can find firmware or new flash for your BIOS or CMOS and try installing that first.~Viz

Niran, what type of computer do you have? Does the BIOS keep some sort of event log? I see these on the Dells and didn't know about this myself, but you MUST clear the Event Log if the new battery still won't work. It's definitely worth a shot if you have this option.For some reason the log seems to be like some kind of 'restore point' for the BIOS. Had a battery issue on a Dell machine last week that got me pulling my hair out.

Thanks to WeaponX and vizskywalker...

I am having one assembled PC! :P and having old Intel motherboard D 845 GLAD which is an outdated one! There is no more support for the motherboard from Intel , as they are clearly mentioned in the site:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.html

IntelÂŽ Desktop Board D845GLAD

End of Interactive Support Announcement

These products are no longer being manufactured by Intel. Additionally, Intel no longer provides interactive support for these products via telephone or e-mail, nor will Intel provide any future software updates to support new operating systems or improve compatibility with third party devices and software products

The last BIOS update was published on 10/8/2003 :P Even though, I had downloaded that flash update and tried that one! But thats not working fine for me! The interesting thing is that, I can shutdown the system and and restart the system without any problem! But if I remove the power supply from the UPS, then only its showing the error message like that! that means, removing main supply only creates the problem! I had tried replacing the CMOS battery! But its not working fine for me!

It is possible for the CMOS chip to become corrupted, which could cause a CMOS checksum error. If this is the case, you will need to replace the CMOS chip itself

How can I know, whether its the problem with CMOS chip or not! :P and I'm not aware of much hardware stuffs! :P So, can you explain me, how can I change the CMOS chip? or do I need to get one new Motherboard :P

Thanks..

There are a lot of things that could cause such failures. The battery doesn't seem to be the problem, since you've alreay replaced that one. Maybe there's something wrong with your PSU. Do you know what caused the power failure ? That might have caused some damage to your PSU or CMOS.Ow, btw. Check the 'Clear_CMOS' jumper, make sure it's not set to clear the CMOS :P

Try to reset the CMOS, it's usualy done by pluging the clear_cmos or reset_cmos jumper on the motherboard and turning on your computer for some seconds, after that the CMOS content will be replaced with the original one.Read your motherboard's user manual for more info, each one is different...

Edited by borlafu (see edit history)

How can I know, whether its the problem with CMOS chip or not! unsure.gif and I'm not aware of much hardware stuffs! tongue.gif So, can you explain me, how can I change the CMOS chip? or do I need to get one new Motherboard

Try the suggestions mentioned earlier to try resetting the CMOS using the jumpers/pins on the motherboard. The chip should be working if you can get in. Might just need a good reset.
You can't replace the CMOS chip unless you know how to solder. It's built into the motherboard.

After considering CMOS clear, you should also consider replacing the motherboard.

Sounds like you changed the PSU and CMOS battery. But if the problem still persists I would think to replace your motherboard. There is a possibility that when the first PSU was going bad it might have damaged the motherboard.

If there is motherboard, is there fatherboard? It seems logical to me since there is daughterboard... :P

Try the suggestions mentioned earlier to try resetting the CMOS using the jumpers/pins on the motherboard. The chip should be working if you can get in. Might just need a good reset.
You can't replace the CMOS chip unless you know how to solder. It's built into the motherboard.

The CMOS can be replaced, it sits in a socket, you'll only need a tool to get it out (don't try it with a screw driver, I've tested it on several (dead) hardware and you'll end op with a broken socket :P )

CMOS Battery replaced, still a checksum error.Help :: CMOS Checksum Error!

Okay, so this all started last night-I went to use my computer when I noticed the monitor wasn't receiving a signal. I then hard shut down and rebooted to see a "CMOS Checksum Bad" error, but no Date/Time error. I hit F2 to load default values and continue, not a big deal since I wasn't overclocking anything. The computer loads the system temperatures screen (as is normal) and proceeds to load windows. Windows enters my user and my desktop background loads. At this point I'm breathing a sigh of relief thinking it just fixed itself. However, just as soon as my desktop loads, the screen goes blank again, monitor receiving no signal (this was about 35s after start up). I hard reboot again to find the same error as before, this time I enter the BIOS to check everything. After about 20s of looking through the BIOS the screen goes blank yet again. I hard reboot again and this time the screen goes blank after only 5-10 seconds. Confused, I start searching the net on another computer to see what was wrong. The next time I started the computer, it allowed me about 30-35s of time before it blank screened. Again this interval decreased by about 10 seconds each consecutive start unless I let it sit for about 5minutes.(sounds like a weak battery right?)

After reading dozens of forums like this one, and other sites regarding the Checksum error I tried the two things most recommended: A proper restart through the BIOS and replacing the CMOS battery. As you may have guessed from reading the title, neither of these two options worked. I then moved to resetting the CMOS by means of switching the closed pins on the motherboard. After following the motherboard's manual to the letter, I once again started the computer. To my dismay the same problem persists. I'm at my wits end here as I don't think this is a hardware issue. The computer seems to run perfectly well when the BIOS isn't telling it to die. Are there any steps I'm missing or anything else you would recommend trying? 

The computer is only 8 months old, the motherboard is a Biostar TF720 A2+ and I've checked some of the other hardware (RAM/ HD / PS) on my other computer which uses the exact same parts for everything and they work perfectly. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Bradford

-question by Brad

CMOS Checksum Error!Help :: CMOS Checksum Error!

It seems your windows got corrupted repair it if u can or just install a fresh window.

-reply by death_lover

Date and Time prolem is not solve by the change of Cmos BattereyHelp :: CMOS Checksum Error!

After starting my computer I have seen  the wrong date and time every day. I already change my mother board cmos battery 10 times I.E new batterey but no result is comming. I also cheeck my bios setting and power supply unit and related hardware.

After changing date and time manually then there is no date and time issue for that day. Next day problem will be arise definitely.

Please try to help me

with regards

-reply by Sourangshu

system com cechsum bad and bad default configuration usedHelp :: CMOS Checksum Error!

pls I want you 2help me out of this problem my ibm laptop is not booting to window andgiving me this error they are

systemcoms checksum bad

bad default configuration used

-reply by oyelami muhammed

cmos error no keyboard detectedHelp :: CMOS Checksum Error!My computer shows a error like cmos checksum bad no keyboard detected press f1 to run set up press f2 o load default values and continue.. As my keyboard is not working I cant choose an of the option. Can anyone pls sugggest how to solve this problem .. Pls suggest a perfect solution ASAP

cmos error no keyboard detected

Help :: CMOS Checksum Error!

My computer shows a error like cmos checksum bad no keyboard detected press f1 to run set up press f2 o load default values and continue.. As my keyboard is not working I cant choose an of the option. Can anyone pls sugggest how to solve this problem .. Pls suggest a perfect solution ASAP

This error frequently comes if the battery saving your cmos settings is out of order.

usually rebooting allows the keybord to work again, and you can press F1 or F2 and continue working.

If this is the case, you will have to leave your PC plugged on the AC outlet, else you will have this problem each time you remove the power cable.