xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
t3jem1405241533

Installing Glut To Dev C++ A tutorial to install GLUT on Dev C++

This is a tutorial that someone submitted to my programming site when it was up because I didn't know how to install glut on any other compiler than my own. I though it would be helpful to post this up for everyone here so they can use GLUT as well without having to google for hours. I'm not sure if I'm allowed, but I have quoted it and have given credit where credit is due, so if this post is allowed I hope this helps those people who couldn't program in GLUT yet.

Installing G.L.U.T. to Dev C++By James Duran (email: vrok137@yahoo.com)

For those of you who do not have the $100 visual studio and cannot install glut, this is for you. Practically all the articles I read to install the glut files were designed for people who owned visual studio. So im gonna share with you how not only to install glut, but get a powerful IDE with it (Dev C++).

NOTE: If you already have Dev C++, skip to step 6.

1. Go to http://www.bloodshed.net/ (although the name sounds gory, the website is not)

2. Now that you are at the Dev C++ site, look for the "whats new" news tab. It should be right in the middle of the home page.

3. Click and follow the Dev C++ Beta link and download the program.
(get the latest version, v4.9.9.2)

NOTE: If you have a compiler but not an IDE, download the "executable only file". Otherwise download the file that includes Dev C++ plus the Mingw/GCC compiler.

4. Next choose a mirror site to download from.
(For dial-up users, try to pick a mirror site that is in the US or else your connection will be really weak. )

5. Install Dev C++.

6. Open Dev C++ and go to "Tools > Check for Updates/Packages". This should bring you to the update manager.

7. Click below the "Select devpack server" and select "devpacks.org community devpacks".

8. Now click "check for updates" at the bottom of the page. Once its done loading, scroll through the lists of packages until you find a glut package. Once you are ready, check the small box to the left of the name. Download it, and then the computer will install it automatically. Now you have opengl (opengl comes w/dev c++) and glut.

Once you download glut, dev c++ even does you a favor by creating a template for glut programs (isnt that cool!). To use the template, click the "multimedia" tab in the
"create a project" window. The glut template should be there for you to use.

Great!!!

Installing Glut To Dev C++

This was really great!! And it was like the third website google found on [glut see++] . I'm so thankful for not been having to search the web for hours for a change. It was and worked good, exept one thing: I downloaded freeglut from "devpacks.Org community devpacks". And when I was trying to compile the default glut template it told me that "gl/glut.H" was not to be found. However I saw that the update had installed freeglut.H, so I just changed that in the code, and now everything works! Again, great!

-Matte

I know a little of C++ and am currently using for an IDE, Dev-C++. I found a tutorial by Mike Serrano that showed me just enough to be able to draw a line from A to B, using graphics.H.Can you point me to a tutorial that would allow me to program a simple plotting program that would accept a file of X-Y coordinates and give me plot of them that I can print out?A list of all the commands in graphics.H, and their documentation, would be a good start.Many thanks.MauriMauripelto@aol.Com

Replying to t3jemI am so sorry but we did this and something strange appears to our pc.Particularly, we have the message:Could not connect to remote sitePlease try another mirror siteCould you please help me with this.What should I do?Thanks

Replying to t3jem

I am so sorry but we did this and something strange appears to our pc.Particularly, we have the message:Could not connect to remote sitePlease try another mirror siteCould you please help me with this.What should I do? 
Thanks,
 Dimitra

Not working...or well sort of...Installing Glut To Dev C++

Hmm, I followed your "tutorial" and installed the devpak glut,the glut template appears but when I try to compile it, it states that: GL/glut.H No such file or directory.

Although, in the include map there is another map called GL with glut.H in it...

Glut Vista 32Installing Glut To Dev C++

hey all!

so, I am running vista 32, and have followed the turoiral for MinGw to make Dev C++ run on my system, and it works. Now I want to use glut for a course I am taking.I followed the above tutorial, downloaded and installed the Glut package. In my C:Dev-Cppinclude it created a folder called GL and in it there is glut.H

in my lib folder there is "libglut32.A"

When I try to runt the template it comlains about "GL/glut.H No such file or directory."And I get loads of linker errors.I also checked my System32 folder and there is no "glut.Dll" or "glut32.Dll" file present...

Any solutions to this?

Also worth mentioning when you want to program in openGL:
http://www.videotutorialsrock.com/
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

I have a school assignment where I have to program in openGL using only the GLUT library and I'm not realy sure whether I have to be happy about it. It's quite easy to use, but so limited and some stuff like collision detection are 100x more easy in to implement DirectX.

But hey ... it's not like I have a choise

Help needed....Installing Glut To Dev C++

hey everyone XD! I good to see this site, because I'm interested in the C++ programming language, and I have some questions. First, where can I download a NORMAL(WORKING) glut file? Because I downloaded one from the internet, but it doesn't work in the Dev-c++ well... So I need this file. Second I have some problem with the settings in the options. For example =  where should I write these commands:  -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglut32 ??? Can you tell me? ThX. I hope, someone can help me, because it's very important to me :) And I need to do this application

Krisztian, 2009 Hungary.

It didnInstalling Glut To Dev C++

I followed this tutorial but is still get the following errors

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp____glutInitWithExit@12'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp____glutCreateWindowWithExit@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp____glutCreateMenuWithExit@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutGet@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSolidSphere@16'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSolidCone@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSolidTorus@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutWireSphere@16'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutWireCone@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutWireTorus@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSwapBuffers@0'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutPostRedisplay@0'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutInitWindowSize@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutInitWindowPosition@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutInitDisplayMode@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutReshapeFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutDisplayFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutKeyboardFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutIdleFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutMainLoop@0'

I'm pretty sure it's a linker error(aren't I so smart?) but this is just running the glut template so... I have no idea what's wrong with it...

any ideas?

-reply by Zack

It didnInstalling Glut To Dev C++

I followed this tutorial but is still get the following errors

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp____glutInitWithExit@12'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp____glutCreateWindowWithExit@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp____glutCreateMenuWithExit@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutGet@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSolidSphere@16'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSolidCone@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSolidTorus@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutWireSphere@16'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutWireCone@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutWireTorus@24'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutSwapBuffers@0'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutInitWindowSize@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutInitWindowPosition@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutInitDisplayMode@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutReshapeFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutDisplayFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutKeyboardFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutIdleFunc@4'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `_imp__glutMainLoop@0'

I'm pretty sure it's a linker error(aren't I so smart?) but this is just running the glut template so... I have no idea what's wrong with it...

any ideas?

-reply by Zack

if you are running c++, then just try to this command line in the parameters under c++ compiler

-DGLUT_STATIC