xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
beatgammit

Red Screen Of Death! Vista to abandon BSOD and go with RSOD

I heard a rumor that Windows vista is going to abandon the long-feared Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and make it red instead, kind of a Red Screen of Death (RSOD). Article. The BSOD will still be used, but for lesser errors, only the RSOD will have the intensely bad-news errors. Is this a good idea or no? I personally think it is stupid and only points out the errors in Windows. People will be talking about the change for a while. Some less computer-literate users might wonder what the heck happened to their screen. They may think that their computer is posessed, since the color changed!! Anyway, it probably won't be that bad, but I still think that it is a stupid idea.

I think that's quite funny. Changing the color does not fix the problem, nor does it change the error! At the most, I think it would simply scare former windows users into thinking they have a virus...for a couple of seconds until they read the error. It seems to me that recently, our society has been using the color system quite often. The "hot" colors for warnings, and the "cool" colors for assurance. Take George Bush's terror alert system in the US for example. Anyway, I think the RSOD changes absolutely nothing except the initial shock of the client. Way to go Windows! :)

I think that's quite funny. Changing the color does not fix the problem, nor does it change the error! At the most, I think it would simply scare former windows users into thinking they have a virus...for a couple of seconds until they read the error. It seems to me that recently, our society has been using the color system quite often. The "hot" colors for warnings, and the "cool" colors for assurance. Take George Bush's terror alert system in the US for example. Anyway, I think the RSOD changes absolutely nothing except the initial shock of the client. Way to go Windows! :P

I really don't get the logic of changing colours nor do I know how changing colour helps in fixing the bug. Must confess Red looka much more devilish :P

I remeber that it was possible to change the colour in xp, but I don't know how, or whethet it was a joke.Anyway, RSOD :P . LOL, it will scare the crap out of noobs :P

I have never seen a Blue Screen Of Death while using XP.About the new colour scheme it makes no difference.Making Error messages more cosemetic LOL

Yeah, you are quit rigth its imposble i think to see Blue Screen in XP in normal running, and casue may be that it turned off, or u hadnt have problems with that, like i had seen Blue Screen of Death :P on windows 98 second edition, and when i had changed to Xp platorfm i had never seen it again!!! and RED Colour mightnt be some thing to end all bags i think

I think that Microsoft should redesign their BSoD so that regular users can actually read what the heck is wrong with the system instead of just pumping out the debug information!Heck, even Linux's kernel panics can be easily read than Microsoft's BSoDs.xboxrulz

I agree that it doesn't elmininate the real problem at hand, but it does have a "trend" to it. Red could indicate a more serious error as pointed out earlier.I'm surprised some of the users haven't seen the blue screen of death on Windows XP. I have seen it both happening on my own computers and on computers I work with in the field. Usually driver/software related when these errors pop up.@xboxrulz: Hmm...I remember reading about this a while back. I think the errors are a "tad bit" more detailed or clearer in Windows Vista. If memory serves me right, the screenshots I saw with the error message (not Red Screen of Death :P) were from PC Magazine.

a red screen of death is an interesting thought.... it could help less technical users to find out if theres something seriosuly ring with there computer, or jsut something that can be fixed by restarting - could save a lot of hassal with phoning support for minor things such as virtual memmory requests

It is utterly pointless.I bet there main target for doing this is to scare ignorant users into taking there computers in to be fixed every time they see a "red" screen because it will feel much more serious then the regular blue screen.I could imagine them just putting on the red screen - "Your copy of Windows Vista is permnantly damaged, please buy another one" - That wouldn't surprise me.

It is utterly pointless.
I bet there main target for doing this is to scare ignorant users into taking there computers in to be fixed every time they see a "red" screen because it will feel much more serious then the regular blue screen.

I could imagine them just putting on the red screen - "Your copy of Windows Vista is permnantly damaged, please buy another one" - That wouldn't surprise me.

lol, me neither.

xboxrulz

Hi.Another aspect of the color change will be its health issued. Many people have issues with certain colors on computers, mainly being red. And as BitShift said, changing the color doesnt really fix anything. An error is an error in my book. Another problem with the BSOD & RSOD is that many times they're not displayed long enough to assess the situation. I believe microsoft could come up with a more appealing user freiendly and more helpfule critical error system. Personally i believe Windows Vista will be Microsoft's downfall. Microsoft needs to focus on producing a stable, multi-industry functional operating system even if this means a long, unwanted development period.

Changing the ever so infamous BSOD? to RSOD? haha, this is rather amusing. I think it is pointless what is the point just to alarm users of windows that they messed up their computer to a point beyond repair? Red or Blue it really doesnt matter, they should concentrate on figuring out how windows can fix itself from the error that is caused by the user than to alarm and scare the user with a RED screen that they really messed up their computer.Im pretty sure that RSOD will be putting rookie or not so computer friendly people into shock and stress when they see that screen. RED is a rather intense color and it is a general color for danger...haha, boy does window makers know how to scare their users away instead of calming them with a nice screen that shows them how to fix the problem that they have caused.

I'm thinking about a Windows Vista user calling a "computer doctor":User: Doctor, I can only see an error screen on my Windows!!"Doctor": Is it blue or red?User: RED Doctor! It's the RED one!"Doctor": OMG... what about buying a new computer?

Ha i tested the beta, and saw alot of this little devil... Anyhow its really startling, compared to the usual blue screen and i think i may know why... do a quick survey of your screen right now and look for blue... then look for red.. shouldnt be too hard to find for red is a very rare color style-wise theese days on most everything... usually its just white or a cooler blue.. Maybe Microsoft wants to really put the foot down on letting you know when your screwed.... who knows :P... I, however dont care about how my error screens look, for i really dont expect too many... ive had a program where it had options for the style of your error messages... and yeah it kind of gives you an odd feeling of the durability of what your using..-