xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Has Anyone Used Google SketchUp ?

Has anyone used Sketchup? Its some new software created by google. There is a free version and also a pro version. Heres some information about it:

Overview
SketchUp is the award-winning program that delivers a completely new way to design in 3D.

What is SketchUp?

SketchUp is a deceptively simple, amazingly powerful tool for creating, viewing, and modifying 3D ideas quickly and easily. SketchUp was developed to combine the elegance and spontaneity of pencil sketching with the speed and flexibility of today's digital media.

Developed for the conceptual stages of design, this powerful yet easy-to-learn software allows for quick and easy 3D form creation, the result is an interface that supports a dynamic, creative exploration of 3D form, material and light.

SketchUp combines a compact yet robust tool-set with an intelligent guidance system that streamlines the 3D drawing process.

3D for Everyone!

Design software has been around for decades and is clearly here to stay. But we think something has been missing—the freedom, flexibility and fun that should go hand-in-hand with the design process. It's our view that while traditional CAD software is necessary for developing detailed drawings, it's simply too complex for most conceptual design work.

SketchUp bridges the divide between design utility and fun. As designers ourselves, we created SketchUp as much to satisfy our own wishes as those of our users.

We know you've heard it all before: what company doesn't claim that its software is 'a piece of cake to use' or 'the best around?' We're guilty of saying this too. But you don't have to take our word for it—you can try it yourself. Just download a free trial version of SketchUp Pro 5, fire it up and give it a spin. Most people say they're off and running in a few hours.

Who uses SketchUp?

Fans of SketchUp include everyone from industry giants to industry-giants-in-the-making. As the 'Switzerland' of design software, we're neutral with respect to file formats and work hard to get along with everybody. In keeping with this, we've designed SketchUp to be compatible with most other modeling, image editing, and illustration applications that designers use. From architects to movie and set designers, from game developers to graphic artists, our users rely on SketchUp to help make their design ideas come to life.

Don't wait another minute to experience SketchUp Pro 5. Download our free trial version of SketchUp Pro 5 and get for 8 full working hours of use. That's more than enough time to fall in love with its remarkably easy interface and unbelievably powerful functionality.

Use SketchUp Pro 5 for:

Quick massing studies
Exploring options and ideas
Figuring out spatial design problems
Setting up proper perspective for hand drawings
Using SketchUp models as a base for presentation boards doctored with Photoshop
But nevermind what we think, here's what customers have told us SketchUp is to them:
"Communication tool"
"Problem-solving tool"
"Productivity tool"
"Creativity tool"
"Problem-finding tool"
"What-if tool"
"Teaching tool"
"Prototyping tool"
"Design tool"
"Best sketching tool ever"
"Draft preparation tool"
"Marketing tool"
"Visualization tool"
"Level design tool"
"Consultation tool"
"A form of therapy"

Add-ons can be downloaded from @Last's Web Site.

Google Earth
One such add-on allows the user to export the 3D model as a .kmz file which can then be opened in Google Earth. This allows accurate geo-referencing of SketchUp models and accurate placement of those models in Google Earth. It also allows SketchUp to import modeling context (photographic + terrain model) from Google Earth for modeling reference.

Other Add-ons
Other add-ons are provided for export to:

3D Studio
AccuRender for SketchUp for to ceate ray trace, photorealistic images.
RPS 3D PDF for interactive PDF documents.
[3D Text] - for creating 3D text.

The website

Do not copy another sites content and post it here without using the quote tags. Unless they are in your own words, you are to use the quote tags to avoid being penalized for plagiarism.

So my question is has anyone used it and is it any good?

Has anyone used Sketchup? Its some new software created by google. There is a free version and also a pro version. Heres some information about it:So my question is has anyone used it and is it any good?

yes and no, Sketchup is great for having fun with 3d, actually one of the best, but not for making games in 3d because it uses a non complacent "sketchup" format which does you no good. Blender is good for gaming 3d, just read tutorials, and 3d canvas isn't bad either.

Sketchup is what i consider, square. It's focus is on building a house, or landscape, but if you want to make something like a person or a vase ect. blender is better for that. Sketchup's good qualities include grid snaping so objects dont end out un proportionate, color coding so you know what way the object is going, and vertex editing. Bad qualities are limited objects (cube and circle) and the sketchup format.

Blender's good qualities include ranging (good for mountains), in depth tutorials, reletive shaping, curving, and hexagonal shaping. Combining the last 3 let you make easy people (people will go from boxes alligned in a skeleton like a "t" to a realistic person. Blender is the better program, but takes learning to use. Sketchup is nice for begining.

not used it myself but I do know users are using Sketchup to make skylines and additions to GoogleEarth..ppl are drawing the buildings in on some of the biggest cities so far..I think NY is the most complete skyline to date..

ive been using sketchup for a few months now and i think thats its not bad for a FREE modeling tool! its great for beginners and it has some pretty good features. Its a good start to anyone thats doing 3d modeling. There is also a pro version (as said before) which has many many more features and is very much for the pros (i dont think someone with minimal 3d modeling knowledge wants to buy a program that expensive and powerful)also as said before me, it works hand in hand with google earth - allowing the user to make their own buildings and place them on google earth for all to see! also, there is a 3d warehouse where you can download other peoples creations. Its great to see what other people are doing! you can also add your own creations and show them off to the world.Overall, its a great basic introduction to 3d modeling and i have to give google sketchup the thumbs up!!

ive been using sketchup for a few months now and i think thats its not bad for a FREE modeling tool! its great for beginners and it has some pretty good features. Its a good start to anyone thats doing 3d modeling. There is also a pro version (as said before) which has many many more features and is very much for the pros (i dont think someone with minimal 3d modeling knowledge wants to buy a program that expensive and powerful)
also as said before me, it works hand in hand with google earth - allowing the user to make their own buildings and place them on google earth for all to see! also, there is a 3d warehouse where you can download other peoples creations. Its great to see what other people are doing! you can also add your own creations and show them off to the world.

Overall, its a great basic introduction to 3d modeling and i have to give google sketchup the thumbs up!!

You basically said exactly what i said without comparing it to others. Blender's free version still does more than Sketchup (which was bought out by google) pro.

Yes, I think it's pretty kewl for a free programm, however you can only save to the Sketchups native file when it's unregistered :/When you register it I think you can even model for Grand Theft Auto, not sure about that, or atleast save to another file format and then convert it.It's pretty kewl for basic models or mock ups, (to make 3d models for google earth).And you're only able to create static models.For the beginners a pretty easy to use tool, but for the more experienced one not #1

Nope, never used it. But it sounds interesting.Something else that is interesting is the rate at which Google churns out these beta versions of programs. I read an article in which a high-level Google exec said that Google would soon start to focus less on new innovations and beta products, and instead refine their search services.They know that creating all this new stuff is a little intimidating to new users.