xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aequitas619

Real Driving Does driving for real make you better at racing games?

Huge post there, but what the hell is it supposed to mean? Not everyone speaks Spanish. At least try putting it in English, even if it isn't perfect.

Sure it helps with your racing game skills. I mean it can't hurt them and it gives you a feel for realistic games. I could also see playing racing game to often negatively affecting your real life driving. I don't know maybe thats taking it too far but it could.

Edited by Running With Scissors (see edit history)

I just recently started driving and because i play a lot of racing games i do sometimes drive a little faster. So it effected me. I also think if you play racing games a lot and are good at controlling the car in the game it also makes you good at driving in real. I had really good control when i would play racing games and when i started driving i always felt as if i'm playing a game :mellow: and my control of the real car was really good but as well as that sometimes i just want to put my foot down and speed. So it does have an effect (to me anyway).But once i started driving i oviously couldn't drive fast in real life but that didn't make any difference to me when i would play a racing game. In the racing game i would still drive like i used to before i started driving which was to drive really fast etc.So that bit didn't effect me at all.

Edited by Flamez (see edit history)

I just downloaded the demo for GRID on my PC tonight, and one of the biggest things when it comes to simulations I've discovered is the importance of having a wheel accessory or something other than just a keyboard or gamepad. My friend had old N64 steering wheels we'd use for playing Nascar 2000 back in the day, but sadly they do not work on my computer ( I tried a N64 to USB adapter which works great with the N64 controller, but not the steering wheel ;) )I've been looking at the Logitech G25, but the darned thing is $300. It's cool though, because it comes with foot pedals with a clutch, and a gearbox to practice shifting. I'd like to get it just to learn the basics of driving a manual transmission before going out and wearing out the clutch on an actual car for real life practice ;) As far as GRID goes, here's a mini review of the demo:Graphics have come a hell of a long way. One of the best features I like with this game is the fact that damage affects your car. I have Need For Speed: Carbon for the Wii, and you can run into a wall doing 200 mph, and your car won't be affected at all... Here with GRID, if you do something like that, you can total your car. It makes driving more realistic in knowing that you should avoid banging up your ride. The game itself is hard. I have the N64 controller hooked up, which is better than using the keyboard, but having a full force feedback steering wheel would definitely help things.I'll probably buy the game, but I'm going to try other demos first if I can find them. The demo alone has 3 races, and no time limits or anything so it's worth a download.

The way I see it is because you are playing, does not mean it is will affect real world in the way you would think. I think that people could learn from racing games, but you will not apply in real life. If someone were to try to perfect driving in a racing game, you would get bored VERY easily... You cannot really put them side by side. You will merge from a yield ramp onto the highway while speeding up, but you need to apply caution to the traffic, not like you will merge right in line and start drafting the car in front of you. You cannot apply the racing game situation with real life because everyone else is not doing the same.There is a level of fun aspect to playing racing games. Sure it is fun as you get older to realize you start doing much better handling the road. But it is learning by control to movement. You learn to get better at holding A down and controlling the car. Arcades make it almost as easier too! Man I am even sitting in a car, and there is a gear shift too! Hence it gives the feeling of being in a fast car. You could be playing Cruisin USA and it could have that feel like the open road, but the cars will try to swerve.I am not trying to dull it down any, and some of it is obvious. I just think that the two should not be confused, and luckily, drivers and players usually get them right... If not, some gamers should not be behind the wheel of an actual car.

i think it does cause you need to know how to approach the turn and when to start turning,when to accelerate and decelerate...and if the game is made good...than it mostly helps!

i think it does cause you need to know how to approach the turn and when to start turning,when to accelerate and decelerate...and if the game is made good...than it mostly helps!

I may have had a crazy rant, but it doesn't mean I was totally dissing racing... This remark now is true... man if the game is SO realistic and can really make you feel like you are really a part of it... Well, then you go a little beyond driving!

And yeah, some when you feel you have to over-steer... Those would freak me out in real life!

the problem in PC game or any other is that you dont have feeling of your steering wheel... you dont feel how much you are turning and when you are turning,that is the point too

Personally, I don't see a huge correlation between driving on a video game and driving in reality. In a video game, you're using a game controller for one thing, so you're not really having the same experience then if you were using a steering wheel and hitting the gas or break pedals with your foot. Plus, in video games, you're trying to drive as fast as possible to get to your destination or finish the race in first, as opposed to getting to your destination safely and without damaging your car or yourself in real life. In the video game world, crashing means nothing. In reality, crashing costs a lot of money, or lives.

you are completely right Jaghancement... i understand why you say it,but my point in driving(i ride a motorcycle) is to drive as crazy as possible but carefully...you probably dont understand it,because that can only be in my head...i agree with Jaghancement,thats my final verdict!

Tbh I think it is the other way round. Playing a realistic driving game can definitely improve your driving. Gran Turismo is a good game because you can actually feel the weight of the car. Actually because I live in Australia I watch the V8 Supercars and when the big race (Bathurst) was on, another driver was required to come in but not having raced at Bathurst before he played V8 Supercars 3 on the playstation in the pits to learn the track in time for the race. True story.I actually try to drive as correctly as possible when playing games like that so I am used to it. It won't really improve your technique but awareness of when to turn etc.

Edited by Jezstarr (see edit history)

i don't know if real life driving makes you better at racing games or vice versa. both incorporate different senses. real life driving uses all of your senses that are exposed to real physics which stimulate your brain differently than a purely visual and audio imitation of the real thing. your depth perception and the way you sense speed in a video game is way different than real life driving. it's more difficult to drive really well in a video game as opposed to the real thing. yet, another thing is you'd most likely take chances in a video game you normally wouldn't in real life.

Does playing driving games make you a better driver?Real Driving

Absolutely not.

When playing a driving game, there areMoments where I must concentrate entirely on whats happening during theGame. I can't be expected to both watch for pedestrians, remember toSignal, obey posted speed limits etc while I'm playing a game.

ThereIs a time for driving, and a time for playing video games, but IGuarantee you if you try to mix the two, you will be worse at both.

Simple.

-reply by Steve

You are right about pedestrians and traffic lights and signals, in the game you don't care about those things. But we're talking about the driving technique, the way you control your steering wheel, they way you got a feeling in the corners, I rly do think racing games help you. But there are some negative sides. I also think it makes you drive faster (so it for me). Maybe that's just because I'm young, and young people just want the exitment... I dunno, but it defenitly helps ;)

-reply by Fanatic