xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kardus

Wii Sports Short Review

Has anyone tried the Wii/Wii sports that comes free with the console? Honestly I find the animation is a bit lame, but the concept and game play are decent. It includes baseball, tennis, golf, boxing, and bowling. By far, baseball and tennis are the best. Even for a Wii game, the depth of interactivity is a bit low, but it leaves for a fun time with friends or family. I found that the sensors were pretty accurate, and did appropriate actions according to your motion. Only minor moves of the Wiimote are required, but it adds to the fun if you actually get up and play like a real game.As mentioned previously, the depth is quite limited. In tennis, your character auto-runs to the ball which leaves you only the option of swing type (smash, back hand, volley, chip). This makes the primary skill in the game more technical- choosing certain shots, speed, placement, etc. are what separates a good player from the not so good. Getting in the game, bouncing, and moving about like an actual tennis player leaves for a fun and exhausting experience. Baseball is also quite fun. The actual technicalities of the game are not dwelt upon, but it focuses more on the players (pitcher and batter). Depending on what your likings, this could be a pro or a con. A variety of pitches can be chosen by holding A or B, with a corresponding directional button (forwards for a faster, straight-forward pitch, right for a right-leaning pitch, left for a left-leaning pitch, and back for a slightly slower one). A and B both modify that type/style of pitching. After holding your desired pitch, you can either have some fun and take a big wind up (what I like to do) and release...or a boring flick of the wrist will do. The skill of pitching is more of a mind-game. Knowing your opponent('s) weaknesses, or quickly changing your common style will be sure to freak them out. Batting by far is more fun in my opinion. I love to hold the Wiimote like a real bat (be sure to use the controller strap for your wrist while doing this...I already demolished a controller). I was impressed with the accuracy of the motion sensor- where ever I held the Wiimote adjacent to my body, it would appear in the exact same spot on my character. The skill when batting is based on timing, technique, and aim. Boxing would have to be the next best for me. It's a pretty decent concept, but less developed and harder to get used to. Your Wiimote is you right punch, while your Nunchaku attachment acts as your left punch (Yes. The Nunchaku attachment DOES has motion sensing). You punch forward by extending your Wiimote like an actual punch, and for the left punch, it's the same except with the Nunchaku attachment. You can block by holding both parts of the controller closer towards your body, and dodge/move from side to side by moving both parts of the controller in the respecting direction. The skill in boxing revolves around looking for openings in your opponent's stance, and attacking them with the appropriate hand at the appropriate height (low, middle, high attack). Golf and bowling are also decent, but less fun in my opinion. Bowling simply requires a steady hand and aim which is developed by the use of the Wiimote, while golf is similar to other golf games- strategic choice of positioning the ball, along will decent aim will get you far.One feature that I really liked was the implementation of "Mii" characters in the game. For those who don't know, from the Wii menu, you can create profiles known as "Mii" characters. They can be named, and have a variety of skin tones, hair styles, hair colours, facial features, and clothing that can be applied to your character. Me and my friends set these characters to look like ourselves. In Wii sports, you can choose your premade characters as the characters you actually play with. This enhances the fun and makes it easier to play your own character, but in reality, it makes for a more interactive experience where you can can congratulate and mock your opponents with more satisfaction. To sum it up, Wii Sports is a decent game that will leave you some memorable experiences with friends/family. It also comes with the console for free (at least in North America), so what are you complaining for? Not really recommended for die-hand sports fans, but will be sure to occupy anyone for at least a few minutes to an hour (good for breaks between game sessions if you're bored of a particular game). Enjoy.-Kardus

I haven't played it but I mean its not intended to be a top tier sports game. As you mentioned its FREE! The fact that any console has a free game of any caliber anyone is rare enough as it is. Add in the fact that its a fun little thing to test out the system and play with friends and I see no problems whatsoever. Obviously if you want a true experience in one particular sport you'll invest in a game dedicated to the sport in question but as far as a started for the Wii I see nothing wrong with a basic little sports pack. Kudos to Nintendo.

Awesome review Kardus, thanks! I was going to camp outside of a store in order to get the Wii, but when the parents said it would have to be wrapped up for Christmas, I decided I'd rather just wait and let them get it. Meanwhile, I've been looking for some kind of review from a real customer, not a gaming company employee. Now I have...and I like what you had to say.It seems like Wii Sports would completely disappoint any hardcore sports players, unless they are aware that it was not designed for that type of gaming. It focuses more on skill with the Wiimote - using sports as a way to train. With that in mind, it sounds like a cool game to play right out of the box with the system as you save up money for other games. Thanks again for the review.

If it's amazing that it comes with a free game, look at the price.Xbox doesnt rule, there controller has 453 buttons that are way to close together, the gameplay sux, the only good game they have is halo which has been remade 100 times with the same storyline, and something tells me that if you like xbox, you also have no girlfriend.Ps3 is still my favorite, with the best adaptions to gaming after nintendo64, but nintendo has zelda which is a pretty sick game, considering it's made BY nintendo, not just for nintendo.

NINTENDO WII!!! WHAT CAN I SAY?!?! I camped out at Best Buy for 11 hours to get one the first night. When I got home, I popped in Wii sports, and almost died. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE! I expected no more than a mediocre motion sensor but Nintendo proved me wrong once again. Wii Sports is a very consistent and friendly game where you can customize you Miis and play as them in the game. Tennis is great when playing against another friend, as is baseball and boxing. Golf is the only sport where I was not too impressed by the technology they put into it. There are too many glitches with the swinging and every shot i hit sucked no matter what. But hey, we all suck at golf. Boxing is simply fantastic, whether playing against a computer or against a friend. The Nintendo Wii has a lot of potential in it, and if games like Wii Sports keep coming out on the Wii, it could become one of the greatest and most dominant systems of its time since N64! Wii Sports delivers a game that is fun for the entire family, if you want to have fun, or if it's game time. :):):):)

I officially just tried out the Wii yesterday and i played wii sports...for 5 hours. This is the holy grail of all wii games and if you have a soul what so ever you will try to play this.

Many people expected the Wii to have stunning graphics and what not. However, it is the innovation and amount of fun that counts. Yes, the graphics are not much better than even the N64 with Wii Sports, but how addicting are these games? Not only this, if you play boxing, you will literally sweat! What other video games can make you sweat while you are having uber amounts of fun?!

kelvin
-----------------

Anybody know where the World of Warcraft European servers are located? Someone said they are all in Britain but I am not sure. Would they have some in Germany, some in Finland etc?

I am trying to do a business plan for my own massive multiplayer game and was wonder how they spread out the resources.

WoW Europe Gold Edited by kelvinprera (see edit history)