xisto Community
ignite

Ssh Tips Some usefull SSH tips

It's common to use ssh as remote command line client only but ssh can do much much more.

Here two possibilities which i use frequently:

1) -X option. Server instalations often don't have functional X11 or even if have one they located at dedicated room, so you have to go maybe another stage to reach them. When i need to run GUI program on server i just start ssh session from my linux workstation:

ssh -Xl root server

After login i type command line mozilla & and get mozilla window on my desktop, but running at server!

2) If you want to transfer files to/from server, but don't want or can't install ftp server, use secure ssh ftp client - sftp. You don't need any additional server support except sshd.

Enjoy!

Let's add more ssh tips. :)

1) -X option. Server instalations often don't have functional X11 or even if have one they located at dedicated room, so you have to go maybe another stage to reach them. When i need to run GUI program on server i just start ssh session from my linux workstation:

ssh -Xl root server

After login i type command line mozilla & and get mozilla window on my desktop, but running at server!

What about this using putty on windows? It isn't logical but would be cool if it worked. Then it would be possible to use my moms computer downstairs to maintain my system from windows with GUI apps :)

Wait... Xcgywin, will it work with that? Can't try out at the moment so maybe you know?!

Bakr_2k5

What about this using putty on windows? It isn't logical but would be cool if it worked. Then it would be possible to use my moms computer downstairs to maintain my system from windows with GUI apps :)Wait... Xcgywin, will it work with that? Can't try out at the moment so maybe you know?!

Bakr_2k5

Yes, on windows running Cygwin with an X server you can display programs that run your linux machine.
Putty is a different story. After installing cygwin with X server you must install ssh also. After it you can use the same ssh -X from your windows machine.