xisto Community
faulty.lee

Make You Mobile Harddisk Cooler | Extend It's Life How to make you mobile harddisk runs cooler than before without needin

Hi,

I'm going to show you a way to help makes your external harddisk runs cooler and thus extends it's life. I've been using this method for quite a while. Very good indeed. This method doesn't open up your harddisk itself, so warranty for your harddisk is untouch. As for those external harddisk which is bought as one whole unit, then you'll have to check and see if you can disassemble it without voiding it's warranty.

Warning: This tutorial is for those who is skilled enough to assemble their own external harddisk. Please to not attempt if you never did one, or at least get someone skillful to help you. Do this at your own risk.

The idea is to have some tin/aluminum foil in between the harddisk and the casing to help conduct the heat better, and dissipate via the casing. Tin/aluminum is a much better heat conductor comparing to air.

Note: This method is only applicable to 2.5" harddisk with metal casing, and those external casing with small room in between the harddisk and casing. Preferably less than 5 mm. I never tried on a 3.5" harddisk, it might works, but less effective.

Note: This is my first tutorial, and my English isn't very good. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ingredient:

1. Tin/aluminum foil - those used for food wrapping. Soft, easily foldable

2. Anti static bag - from used packaging of your harddisk, motherboard or any other computer parts. They usually come with anti static bag which are normally semi transparent, dark silver and a bit shiny

3. Cellophane Tape - any type will do, and you won't need much

Tools:

1. Screw driver - to disassemble and then assemble back your hard disk casing.

Steps:

Warning: Beware of electrostatic discharge. It can kill your harddisk upon contact.

1. Disassemble you external harddisk casing, then takeout the harddisk. Depend on the type of casing you use, most will have a small piece of circuit board connected to the harddisk via the normal PATA/SATA connector. For PATA(wide one), you can keep the circuit board connected, unless you feel uncomfortable while working on it.

2. Cut the anti static bag into a rectangle piece slightly wider than your harddisk, about 5mm to 1cm per side. Then place and center it on the harddisk's side with circuit board, then use the cellophane tape to hold it in place. Try to avoid sticking the cellophane tape one any one of those stickers you find on the harddisk. This is in case if you decide to peel it off later, it will not damage those sticks thus voiding the warranty. Make sure that the anti static bag fully cover the circuit side of your harddisk. This is to avoid short circuit due to contact with the foil later

3. Cut the tin/aluminum foil in long strips as wide OR as long as your harddisk. Then fold the foil into the size of your harddisk, preferably slightly smaller than the anti static bag, to prevent short circuit. You'll have to fold it evenly. Check the thickness to see if it can fit in between the spacing. If it's too thick, you might have to make less fold. Try not to be greedy on this one. You're not suppose to apply pressure on the surface of the harddisk, as this will actually damage it, unlike CPU or GPU heatsink. Make another folded foil for the top of the harddisk.

4. Now sandwich your harddisk between the 2 piece of folded tin/aluminum foil, use a bit of cellophane tape to hold the foil. Only stick on the side. Sticking on the top or bottom of the foil will defeat the whole idea.

5. Assemble your harddisk back into the casing. While doing so, check that the foil didn't move from it's origianal place.

Voila, you're good to go.

Note: If the demand for this article is good, I'll try to get some picture of what i've done.

Good Luck

Faulty

To be honest i really dont think this would help-if anything i would imagine it gets hotter!You are laying down plastic in the form of an anti static bag then taping tin foil to the plastic? plastic is not a good conductor of heat...so it will not conduct much heat to the foil..but if it did work..wheres the heat going to go ? from the foil? onto the thick plastic case that doesnt conduct heat very well also?A better way to cool down a case would be to take the plastic lid off and drill holes in the case and then cover the holes on the inside with something to protect against dust getting inside the case..maybe a coffee filter or something that breathes air but stops particles coming tho to the case..Marky;)

To be honest i really dont think this would help-if anything i would imagine it gets hotter!
You are laying down plastic in the form of an anti static bag then taping tin foil to the plastic? plastic is not a good conductor of heat...so it will not conduct much heat to the foil..but if it did work..wheres the heat going to go ? from the foil? onto the thick plastic case that doesnt conduct heat very well also?

A better way to cool down a case would be to take the plastic lid off and drill holes in the case and then cover the holes on the inside with something to protect against dust getting inside the case..maybe a coffee filter or something that breathes air but stops particles coming tho to the case..
Marky;)

Hi,

I understand your point. But I did noted that it's only applicable for metal casing, as in my case.

I found it effective, thus I thought others might find it useful as well.

You're idea is indeed good for non metal one. Maybe you should do a tutorial on that one :)

Thanks for you comment

Adding the the antistatic plastic won't help as lark 420 said but just using the foil is good enough. Foilr is a good conductor and will tansfer quite alot of heat to the case. Then i would do what lark420 said about drilling hotes in the shell and using a certain material to protect it from doesn't comming in. Both if combined are great ideas. Anyway we can add some cpu fans in? Build our own casing, fuse the power cable and fan power cable together. I don't know, just being my stupid self.

Adding the the antistatic plastic won't help as lark 420 said but just using the foil is good enough. Foilr is a good conductor and will tansfer quite alot of heat to the case. Then i would do what lark420 said about drilling hotes in the shell and using a certain material to protect it from doesn't comming in. Both if combined are great ideas. Anyway we can add some cpu fans in? Build our own casing, fuse the power cable and fan power cable together. I don't know, just being my stupid self.

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I forgot to mention that the other factor behind this idea was not trying to drain more power from the USB port. Cause normal 2.5" external harddisk can run off directly from USB without needed extra power.

The anti static bag was to prevent short circuit. Actually I only use a very thin type of plastic, but because i live in tropical area, electrostatic discharge is not really an issue here. But then this article might be read by anyone from all around the globe, so I have to take in into consideration of that. And closely sandwiching the the plastic/anti static bag with the foil is still better then waiting for the air to do the heat conduction for you.