xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ruijie

Install Windows XP Unattended

You can install XP unattended so you won't have to sit through the installation process if you are upgrading from another operating system. Simply follow these steps:1. Insert your Windows XP CD-Rom2. Double-click on the My computer icon3. Double-click on the CD-Rom Drive icon4. Got to the "Support\Tools" sub-folder5. Double-click on the "DEPLOY.CAB" file6. Highlight "DEPLOY.CHM", "REF.CHM", SETUPMGR.EXE", and "README.TXT"7. Select your tartget path8. Click "OK" to extract the files9. Go to the folder where you extacted the files10. Double-click on the CHM files one at a time to read teh detailed guidelines on how to install XP in automated unattended mode11. Run "SETUP.MGR", which will guide you through the process of creating an "UNATTEND.TXT" file

Microsoft offers a more profressional solution to OEM installers. Even though you might not be an OEM if you want to have more control over the installs. Go to oem.microsoft.com and go through all the BS registration. There are also free software packages which all you to integrate service packs and hot fixes including software. Do a google search to find such programs, i will right now and edit my post when i find them.

Why would you want to go through all those steps? The Windows installation itself is pretty much automated already.
xboxrulz

If you want to install XP on large amounts of computers, this may be helpful.

Why would you want to go through all those steps? The Windows installation itself is pretty much automated already.
xboxrulz

You think so ? It has an annoying timing when it comes to asking questions. For example the time/date and the network dialogue, they force you to stay near your computer while windows is installing.
The unattended method is much better, put the disc in, partition, format and of he goes. When I leave for 15 minutes and then come back, I get a windows desktop, instead of the windows installer asking stupid questions.

Another method I always use, is nLite (google it). This allows me to slim down windows by removing useless programms and it can apply loads of tweaks and settings.

You think so ? It has an annoying timing when it comes to asking questions. For example the time/date and the network dialogue, they force you to stay near your computer while windows is installing.The unattended method is much better, put the disc in, partition, format and of he goes. When I leave for 15 minutes and then come back, I get a windows desktop, instead of the windows installer asking stupid questions.

Another method I always use, is nLite (google it). This allows me to slim down windows by removing useless programms and it can apply loads of tweaks and settings.

true, but you could've at least waited for the questions to pop up, it wouldn't take too long, then you can go out for 30min then come back and it would've already go into the set up menu.

xboxrulz

I really like going through Windows Setup for Windows XP. Although I find that the timing for the Language options wizard is a bit off, I do find that the setup is entertaining, helpful and beneficial to non-experts.I really love going through the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screens (with the music and helpful question mark). I have even taken pictures of those screens with the digital camera (bit shaky).Yes, this could be good for installing on multiple computers. About that nLite thing, I only like the Windows 98 version, and I don't really recommend it.

This is an interesting information.
As a System Administrator, you require such knowledge, so that you don't go through the same questions again and again. same clicks.
Someone above said, incase if you have a windows 2003 server installing unattended is easily achieved. Yes it is, but perhaps, installing server 2003 on other machines cannot be automated.
There were a group of System Administrators, who once were so bored of clicking through the windows installation process, that they build some scripts and ideas to install windows in an unattended fashion.
The site is filled with tricks and scripts (in perl and vb) which helps you to install windows in an unattended (remote) way.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope the link is helpful to those few system admins, who are used to linux's unattended installation process, and wish windows were like it.

cheers

I have been using nlite for a long time now. Its a really helpful tool to make Windows XP installation painless. It offers easy slipstreaming of the Windows XP Service Pack 2, Integrating hotfixes into the setup package, removal of non-essential components (thus trimming the package size down), using a whole lot of registry tweaks, besides creating of the unattended setup mode.Using nlite and the reference of the unattended setup mode (the OEM one), one can easily make a setup disc which can install the necessary drivers, updates, softwares and what not, all for the sake of taking the pain out of re-installing Windows.One point worth noting is that: If a huge number of hotfixes are slipstreamed, the setup takes a long and I mean really LONG time to complete. Its not a fault in nlite, rather a Windows feature/problem/bug whatever you call it.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)