xisto Community
tianshi_JJ007

So Many Kinds Of Linux, Which Will You Choose? So many kinds of linux,which will you choose?

1.Debian2.Fedora
3.Gentoo
4.Mepis
5.Nitix
6.Mandrake
7.Red Hat
8.SUSE
9.Slackware
10.Santa Fe Linux
11.Yellow Dog
:)

Man understand One Thing All of this Operation Systems using with aim like if u want somting for ur server u wll choose one of then, first of all u need to know more inforation about OS and u wll see what u preffer more!! it belongs to ur needs only!! like im using UBUNTU product!!!
casue is: its free, comfotable, shipment fast, very very good OS!!! u have to use it !! and u wll see!!

like im using UBUNTU product!!! casue is: its free, comfotable, shipment fast, very very good OS!!! u have to use it !! and u wll see!!

Was about to point out the same thing. In your list nbit007, you've left one of the most important and beautiful linux versions Ubuntu. honestly it's worth giving a try! As Aka_Bar was mentioning, depending on your needs you will have to choose your OS.

But, frankly if you ask me, an OS should be able to perform all the tasks. It shouldn't matter what kind of application you want to run. OS should act as a platform for any kind of application. Well, some Linux versions fail to live up to this.

If you want me to suggest some, you can try Ubuntu, Suse or Solaris 10.1.

Here is the top 3Fedora Core - simply better i thinkCentOS (you forgot CentOS ) - lots of users and easy to useRed Hat - thay are big, lots of v. lol ( 9 )Fedora Core was installed on by first server, and i kinda like that more than my second ( CentOS ) so since then i really love FedoraNoMore

Everyone here forgot about my personally best Linux distributions: Arch Linux and Gentoo :)I also like Ubuntu, due to a lot of people just without any computer experience (almost) can install and use it, it is getting popular here and people just start to move to Ubuntu, because they are pissed off with different viruses and spyware (from which they don't really know how to protect) that is usually not teenagers or students, but a bit older people. :D Which I find really good, but of course Ubuntu is used not only by unexperienced.. Even though, more advanced users don't use Ubuntu. :D

I have a very faint understanding of what Linux is, and wouldn't dare use it, because I would be scared f I didn't like it I wouldn't know how to change back to Windows.
Too much of a risk for someone simple like me

Why you scare to install linux? all you need is to resize your partition and format it to ext2/3. And Install linux on it. You will stil able to choose windows when you boot your computer. I recommend you to try Ubuntu linux since it very easy to use and I think the Instalation is easier than Windows instalaion.

For me the best Distro is Debian based, like Ubuntu, Knoppix and other. Now i'm using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper drake) and i've plan to upgrade it to 6.10 (Edgy).

But the most important thing is the LINUX KERNEL that makes all of this possible!.

I have a very faint understanding of what Linux is, and wouldn't dare use it, because I would be scared f I didn't like it I wouldn't know how to change back to Windows.
Too much of a risk for someone simple like me :)

Well you can try out one of those LiveCD version where you don't even have touch your harddisk.

Personally i like SLAX for live version, can run from USB, and can also easily save file back into the thumbdrive. Check out http://www.slax.org/

I have tried Debian, Red Hat, and Gentoo in the past. Of the three, Gentoo it required the deepest understanding of Linux and more user intervention during setup. Red Hat was too commercial and bulky, so my favorite at the time was Debian. I have since then excluded Linux in one of my overall OS/software reinstallations. My work essentially chains me to the Microsoft Office suite. I am stuck with Windows against my will.In any case, I am hoping that the growing popularity of ODF will reduce formatting incompatibilities between OpenOffice.org and the Microsoft Office programs. This will become a good incentive to transition to Linux. And when I do, I may try out Ubuntu. It seems to have been getting a lot of press lately. I don't know whether the hype is justified, but we will see.

I'd have to agree with webintern- Gentoo in my opinion requires the deepest understanding, but in my opinion is the best. I also like slackware. Try some live CD's of any of the distros you're interested in, I have yet to try Uuntu, but am hearing some nice things about it.

I really went off linux when I couldn't get my wireless dongle (for WAN) to work.As much as I hate it, I couldn't live without it. That would be Windows!I'm saving up for a Mac though.

I've used linux, but it became so hard to keep data synched between linux<->windows<->usb-stick<->folder at school ... so I dropped linux and the folder at school :P .But if I find time and possibility to use linux again, I'd probably get:1) Slackware (I prefer this because it isn't as 'easy' as some other linux distro's, I like the challenge :P ).2) Ubuntu (the opposite of 1), this is the 'easy' linux, I'd take it because it probably does everything windows does in an easy way ... except it won't boot here)3) dunno, probably something with KDEThing I won't get:1) Fedora/Red Hat; don't like the looks, feels bulky and doesn't 'feel' good.2) Suse; I must admit, Suse is a great linux distro, but it is sooooo bulky and heavy3) Any other gnome based distro; too ugly, xfce won't make a chance either, handy, but restricted in use.

1) Fedora/Red Hat; don't like the looks, feels bulky and doesn't 'feel' good.

You may try Gentoo :P
PD: Better the amd64 version, in a laptop, with an ATI graphics card and an unsupported wifi card :P

PD2: (That's sarcasm)
Edited by borlafu (see edit history)