xisto Community
mtanonymous

Ajax! The Best Web App. Programing Method Ajax its not a new code its a new method that is great.

Ok im just curious of how many people have heard of Ajax its NOT a new language, BUT it is a new breakthrough on how to combine Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. If you havn't heard of it check out 30boxes.com it is a great example of what is capable when using it. it is the best way to make web apps and i recomend it to many people.

By now most people who have been doing web design know about it. I know msn and yahoo use it for their search engines, Their are several chatroom scripts and all that code stuff.Although i haven't really done anything with it but does anyone know if w3c validates the code at all?

Well, I think a lot of whom know about it Today, especially when google started to use it on gmail, before it wasn't as popular and a lot of people didn't hear about it and there weren't a lot of tutorials how to use it, but Today there are so much tutorials of how to use AJAX that I can't choose which one to use. I have used AJAX and find it very useful, but there are always problems with browser support.. The only thing I don't like with it that I am not a fan of javascript and I only used it for html forms and not the content.AJAX might be or will be replaced or something like that, a better usage of AJAX I think will be the E4X and it will be much easier to use it together with xml, but of course you'll need a browser supporting it? Always a problem for a web-designer. :)

Although i haven't really done anything with it but does anyone know if w3c validates the code at all?

As it's just javascript code, it's perfectly valid for w3c.
In fact, it's just normal javascript using a new objet (XMLHttpRequest) to request something to the server. Maybe to execute a server-side application, to search a database, run cgi scripts or any other thing :).

Google has a really good way to implement AJAX. They have a service called Google Web Toolkit (GWT). GWT takes Java code and "translates/compiles" it into JavaScript and HTML. It makes making web applications really easy. Sure, you aren't coding the JavaScript yourself, but that makes it better. Java code is much easier to maintain and it is easier, with the help of GWT, to make it work on "all" web browsers. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I am working on a project that I will use it for.AJAX is definitely a really good methodology. I hear that someone is going to improve it for the new Web 2.0 movement. This will make it even easier to make dynamic pages and make it easier to bring users relevant content. Hurrah to the AJAX movement!!!!

@borlafu I thought as much, thanks for verifying it.now from beatgammit's post Are we talking about straight java or could dhtml be converted as well?

Google has a really good way to implement AJAX. They have a service called Google Web Toolkit (GWT). GWT takes Java code and "translates/compiles" it into JavaScript and HTML. It makes making web applications really easy. Sure, you aren't coding the JavaScript yourself, but that makes it better. Java code is much easier to maintain and it is easier, with the help of GWT, to make it work on "all" web browsers. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I am working on a project that I will use it for.

I've messed with the GWT quite a bit and can't help but admire it. It's great how compatibility isn't really much of an issue anymore with the GWT. There does seem to be a small drawback--the files can be really huge, even if what you want to do doesn't necessarily garner such a file size. Coding the Javascript yourself probably makes for slightly cleaner/clearer code, but if you're like me and are lazy, using GWT is great.
And...if not obvious it, I've definitely heard of Ajax. When I first found out about it, my reaction was, "What's some ancient Greek soldier doing in web design?" (Yes, Ajax was a dude in Homer's Iliad). But I learned to admire Ajax after seeing Gmail and a number of Ajax intensive applications. And Ajax does make pages easier to deal with; I've never liked waiting for a page to load. Now if only all browsers could support Javascript in the same manner...then Ajax would really be on its road to success. =)

I've messed with the GWT quite a bit and can't help but admire it. It's great how compatibility isn't really much of an issue anymore with the GWT. There does seem to be a small drawback--the files can be really huge, even if what you want to do doesn't necessarily garner such a file size. Coding the Javascript yourself probably makes for slightly cleaner/clearer code, but if you're like me and are lazy, using GWT is great.
And...if not obvious it, I've definitely heard of Ajax. When I first found out about it, my reaction was, "What's some ancient Greek soldier doing in web design?" (Yes, Ajax was a dude in Homer's Iliad).

Actually, there were two Ajaxes in the Iliad, but that's besides the point. As far as the GWT goes, writing the code by hand, at least for me, results in code that's about twice as small and twice as fast. Include the fact that javascript now has the capability to be "Object Oriented" (sort of) and code can be made much more elegeant and modular by writing by hand.

This is not to say that the GWT is bad. It can be very useful for people who do not know enough javascript to write effective AJAX applications.

On the other hand, I have seen several abuses of AJAX for things that should not have been done in AJAX. So my feelings are mixed.

~Viz

GWT is really powerful no doubt - but to easily bypass all the browser compatibility issue and repeated cross-browser coding required for AJAX, you could use the easily implementable and lightweight JavaScript library called Prototype.

With Prototype, you hardly need to know the inner workings of AJAX.. all the required functions are pre-coded into it. All you need to do is create a new Prototype AJAX object and pass it the required parameters.

Further details on Prototype can be found here: http://prototypejs.org/

Good resource M^E. Although, personally, I still prefer to do all my AJAX code by hand. Once you've dealt with browser issues once, it turns quickly into a copy paste job. Especially with the advent of IE7, which updated the HTTPXMLREQUEST object. Right now, the biggest issue I have with compatibility between browsers is what each of the 4 request states mean in each. However, since none of them completely usefully implement the states, and they all implement state 0 and 4 the same, it doesn't make that much difference. But the tools available are getting much better.~Viz

afaik the technology behind ajax have been developed during 1997 as teamEFX stated, but the term AJAX has been coined around 2005, just what i've found when reading some articles from various web blogs.

At first i thought it was just an old javascript scripting coz of the old animation features (scrolling and other corny but somewhat cool animation) that has been modified in modern way (dom version).

Since it's from javascript you can create it from scratch but much easier if you used a pre-made framework. e.g. prototype, rico, jquery and others.

imo it's best and effective when incorporate with server side scripting like php, asp and jsp.

here some additional links to the bestajax/js frame work besides prototype(link above)
Rico: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Scriptaculous: http://script.aculo.us/
mochikit: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Yahoo UI: https://developer.yahoo.com/yui/
MooFX: http://moofx.mad4milk.net/
JQuery: http://jquery.com/

for php i prefer to incorporate those js framework rather than using those bloated framework like symphony.

Does anyone have some links for ajax on what all I can do with it that would be useful? I know javascript, and I believe I could pickup xml without much of a problem. I'm just now sure of how they would both combine to provide a nice interface on my website. Okay, thanks to anyone who can add to this B)