xisto Community
talktime

Suggest Free FTP Client suggest free ftp client

Can anyone suggest Free FTP client to upload directories and subdirectories with multiple files?Currently I use directory opus. I like it and it works great. But my trial period will be over soon. Thanks

use FileZilla. It has no trial period because it's absolutely free.

You download it here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/files/

It has a lot of features usually found only on paid software.

By the way, if you have absolutely nothing, or if you are not on your own computer, remember you can still use Crosoft Internet explorer, and in the URL address you type yourusername@youripaddress, you will prompted confirmation of your username and password and you will see a explorer-like window, you will be able to copy/paste files, even double-click to start Excel. I think it's sometimes better than having nothing.

Definitely Filezilla. I've never had any problems with it, and there's also a portable version which you can stick on a usb and use at an internet cafe that doesn't have FTP programs installed nor the ability to install them.The IE way to go, IMO, is absolutely the last option, a worst-case scenario, especially with large files.

Definitely Filezilla. I've never had any problems with it, and there's also a portable version which you can stick on a usb and use at an internet cafe that doesn't have FTP programs installed nor the ability to install them.The IE way to go, IMO, is absolutely the last option, a worst-case scenario, especially with large files.

Could you please post a link to this portable version ? I'm very interested, cause I'm often working on systems where I should install nothing. I did not see this portable version mentionned on the sourceforge page.

Yeah I'm a smartftp as well, don't know why they bothered with that free trial pop up I still can use it without no hacks or cracks. I recommended it to several people who are just starting out in websites, I just give them a brief intro on how to set it up and they are on there way.

Edited by saint-michael (see edit history)

I used to use FireFTP extension on Firefox. Then I migrated to the built in FTP capabilities of Internet Explorer. Stupid thing kept asking for my password even though I entered it a million times.

Now I use AceFTP Freeware. It goes perfectly with AceHTML, however I don't use AceHTML Freeware 9 that much.

Take a look, the website is:

Visicom Media's Freeware Products

I am considering trying FileZilla and also SmartFTP worked for me, can't remember why I abandoned SmartFTP.

Well you guys are pretty big techs aren't ya. If i am running windows, i just type in ftp.domain.com and login. It gives me all the basic options that i need. Or i run FTP using Dos. Same thing if i am using linux. Why waste system resources and use one of those fully loaded program when you can do the same thing using your own OS.

How to use FTP in MSDOS A.K.A command prompt.

1.) Open command prompt

2.)I like to start from base drive so i type in "cd \" which stands for change directory to beg of drive.

3.)i type in ftp

4.)then i type in open

5.)then i type in ftp.domain.com

6.)then type in my username , enter

7.)Password, (its hidden) , enter

8.) I am logged in

9.)Do my thing *

10.)Type in quit to login

* You can check your directory out by typing dir or to send a file just type in send. You can navigate through the server by using basic commands such as CD or just typing our the whole address to the file. It seems a a bit tedious in the beg, but it becomes a quick and painless task. Hope this teaches some of you ftp clients to stop using those darn clients. Peace

There are so many ways of doing it but I still recommend plain old smart ftp. It is so easy to use. If I cannot be bothered then I just use the plain old way of using the domain in Windows ftp.domain.com. Like Levis mentioned this is by far the best method of doing this.

I would suggest you to go with Filezilla, due to it is free and you won't need to worry about trial stuff and similar like with DOpus for Windows.. Even though Directory Opus is really good, even better on the Amiga though, but anyway if you can waste some cash, pay for DOpus if you can't just use Filezilla, it doesn't use a lot of resources, it is well written and I never had any problems with it, in fact I think it is one of the best and simplest FTP Clients out there, but a lot of whom just use the one they got used to. :)

Well you guys are pretty big techs aren't ya. If i am running windows, i just type in ftp.domain.com and login. It gives me all the basic options that i need. Or i run FTP using Dos. Same thing if i am using linux. Why waste system resources and use one of those fully loaded program when you can do the same thing using your own OS.

How to use FTP in MSDOS A.K.A command prompt.

1.) Open command prompt

2.)I like to start from base drive so i type in "cd \" which stands for change directory to beg of drive.

3.)i type in ftp

4.)then i type in open

5.)then i type in ftp.domain.com

6.)then type in my username , enter

7.)Password, (its hidden) , enter

8.) I am logged in

9.)Do my thing *

10.)Type in quit to login

* You can check your directory out by typing dir or to send a file just type in send. You can navigate through the server by using basic commands such as CD or just typing our the whole address to the file. It seems a a bit tedious in the beg, but it becomes a quick and painless task. Hope this teaches some of you ftp clients to stop using those darn clients. Peace

This is also my preferred method, and my collegues are really impressed everytime I use it. Unfortunately, you may use it only for small file on a very stable network. If you loose your network before the end of your download, you have to restart from scratch.

That's why it's useful using ftp clients like FileZilla. If you happen to loose the network or to be disconnected by the remote host, you see FileZilla reconnecting and countinuing the download from where it stopped.

MoreOver, when downloading or oploading a filder with several files, you may ask FileZilla to open several connection, donwloading several files at the same time, which allows you to exchaust your internet bandwidth and make your download last less.

My best advice to you would be give them a go and see what best suites your needs. We have all mentioned various services. All you must do is check them out and see what you think of them and their interface. It doesnt take much time to install and uninstallthe ones you dont like. So give it a go and please give us feedback to, which ones you prefer.

My best advice to you would be give them a go and see what best suites your needs. We have all mentioned various services. All you must do is check them out and see what you think of them and their interface. It doesnt take much time to install and uninstallthe ones you dont like.
So give it a go and please give us feedback to, which ones you prefer.

No i have, when i made my first website which was hosted on a Cpanel based server i used FTPCupPro or w/e it was called. I just don't think i need it naymore if i can do it at the same rate.