xisto Community
SP Rao

Problem With Fedora Core 5 Installation In fact after installation.....

I was trying to load Fedora into my Machine. After 30 minutes of smooth run, I succeeded in installing it. All along my mouse was working just fine. After the installation was complete, when I rebooted the machine still mouse was fine. Now finally after I give the user ID and password fpr login, the mouse pointer just disappeared!!!Well, the mouse still works. When I move the mouse the items get highlighted. When I double click the highlighted item, it opens the application. The scroll button is working fine. but.... The mouse pointer is not being displayed!!! I tried changing the mouse pointer, still the problem persists. Frustrated, Ire installed it. Still the same old story... Can't see my mouse pointer. :) I'm using Athlon 64- bit processor (3000+) with 512MB of RAM, MSI Motherboard and I'm using Logitech Scroll Mouse....Any help in finding my Mouse pointer will be appreciated...

On KDE, you can try to open kcontrol and change the default pointer.

That should fix it.

xboxrulz

Well xboxrulz, I have already tried that. Still no change. I was using GNOME first. After struggling for some time, I switched to KDE. But the problem persisted. I did change the mouse pointer settings, still no use....

The joke is the busy pointer gets displayed!!! (That was displayed when I double clicked on an item and the application was yet to open...)

I'm really puzzled. While booting up, till the login screen comes, the mouse pointer will be very much present. But soon after the Login screen appears, the mouse pointer disappears! :)

Edited by SP Rao (see edit history)

Well xboxrulz, I have already tried that. Still no change. I was using GNOME first. After struggling for some time, I switched to KDE. But the problem persisted. I did change the mouse pointer settings, still no use....

The joke is the busy pointer gets displayed!!! (That was displayed when I double clicked on an item and the application was yet to open...)

I'm really puzzled. While booting up, till the login screen comes, the mouse pointer will be very much present. But soon after the Login screen appears, the mouse pointer disappears! :)

Try to delete whole user home directory, then create it from scratch. If problem was in some config, this should help.

I have the exact same problem - losing the mouse pointer after installing Core 6 on a new Athlon 64X2 3800+ and Logitech 3 button mouse.

I tried installing Core 5 and never saw the pointer. At least with Core 6 I have a pointer at first. X windows seems to be freaky and has locked up my machine a couple of times.

Do you still have the problem?

I was trying to load Fedora into my Machine. After 30 minutes of smooth run, I succeeded in installing it. All along my mouse was working just fine. After the installation was complete, when I rebooted the machine still mouse was fine. Now finally after I give the user ID and password fpr login, the mouse pointer just disappeared!!!
Well, the mouse still works. When I move the mouse the items get highlighted. When I double click the highlighted item, it opens the application. The scroll button is working fine. but.... The mouse pointer is not being displayed!!!

I tried changing the mouse pointer, still the problem persists. Frustrated, Ire installed it. Still the same old story... Can't see my mouse pointer. :)

I'm using Athlon 64- bit processor (3000+) with 512MB of RAM, MSI Motherboard and I'm using Logitech Scroll Mouse....

Any help in finding my Mouse pointer will be appreciated...

I was trying to load Fedora into my Machine. After 30 minutes of smooth run, I succeeded in installing it. All along my mouse was working just fine. After the installation was complete, when I rebooted the machine still mouse was fine. Now finally after I give the user ID and password fpr login, the mouse pointer just disappeared!!!
Well, the mouse still works. When I move the mouse the items get highlighted. When I double click the highlighted item, it opens the application. The scroll button is working fine. but.... The mouse pointer is not being displayed!!!

I tried changing the mouse pointer, still the problem persists. Frustrated, Ire installed it. Still the same old story... Can't see my mouse pointer. :)

I'm using Athlon 64- bit processor (3000+) with 512MB of RAM, MSI Motherboard and I'm using Logitech Scroll Mouse....

Have you ever used any other Distro's? If so have you ever had any problems. Such a problem really happens due to KDE or GNOME (in your case). Is the light under your mouse working or is it ball type?
Can you login by using the tab+enter key? Get back to me on those, i have helped people before with such problems but that was because the system did not detect the firmware of the mouse.

What graphics driver/card do you have?

xboxrulz

It's the onboard (ASUS M2NPV-VM) video, an NVIDIA GeFoorce 6160 GPU.

I found a workaround: I boot to runlevel 3 then start x. It works fine, and I haven't lost a pointer since.

Has anybody found a work-around for the kernel bug that prevents kmod-nvidia from being installed?

If any of you have this mobo, do you have sound? I don't.

john2

It's the onboard (ASUS M2NPV-VM) video, an NVIDIA GeFoorce 6160 GPU.

I found a workaround: I boot to runlevel 3 then start x. It works fine, and I haven't lost a pointer since.

Has anybody found a work-around for the kernel bug that prevents kmod-nvidia from being installed?

If any of you have this mobo, do you have sound? I don't.

john2

Make that GeForce 6150.

usually, I would use NVIDIA's version of the kernel module (aka drivers) than the ones provided by Fedora Core.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

xboxrulz

The result is the same either way - it says there's a discrepancy between the kernel and source versions and/or the version of gcc they were compiled to.

Edited by john2a (see edit history)

I tried changing the mouse pointer, still the problem persists. Frustrated, Ire installed it. Still the same old story... Can't see my mouse pointer. ;)

I think there is some problem in mouse configuration.

you can use the command "system-mouse-config"

that would solve the problem.

have a nice day bye

Change of runlevel

Problem With Fedora Core 5 Installation

Hi,

I have installed my system with Fedora 6 with not full packages with limited ones.Only level 3 . Now I want to run in Runlevel 5.

But its not allowing me to do it. I changed in inittab file from 3 to 5, then also its not going to GUI mode.It still remains in text terminal only.Please help me. I also tried startx, no use

-T.Gokul

I tried ubuntu at university, and really liked it so I ordered a free CD and I received the 7.10 version.

I must say it's better than windows, I feel very secure using linux and I love to learn new stuff that will help me on my computer engineering career, as I aim for open source software, so its the best thing I could have done.

I'd recommend ubuntu!!

Ubuntu

I'm very sorry, I posted in the wrong place, I must have clicked on another thread.

Edited by mikesoft (see edit history)

I've got something similar with my Fedora 5: but I resolved it by stopping the network daemons and the DNS server...I think my machine was lacking power to maintain the gnome and all the daemons.