xisto Community
szupie

How Do You Pronounce "char"? A Poll

How do you pronounce "char"?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wait..."are" as in "car"? So that'd be like the "ar" in "charcoal", then? I still maintain that this debate is a little pointless, as not only will national dialects of the same language alter our pronounciation, but regional dialects do as well. That said, those who don't live in a country which has English as the first language will always be at a disadvantage, as we have people debating about how we say a word using other words that we all pronounce differently.Anyone care to upload an audio file somewhere of them saying the words "char", "character", "charcoal", "car", "care" etc. and identifying what country you're from? It should help clear things up. I'd do it myself, but my mic's a little too buzzy to help matters, and it'd probably only make things worse. ;)

It's pronounced "char", well ok if you want the extra R fine, pronounce it "charr" then lol.Like (yes I hate to say it like this)..... "Charmander", yes the Pokemon, leave me alone >_<.Here's one you can play with "Integer", and it's not pronounced how it is spelt, mostly, it's like "Badger", so it's like a ger rather than gar (integer not integar), in terms of pronounciation I mean, as it's obviously spelt Integer.

Just to add to the confusion... I do believe that char is pronounced as in most examples given here as 'charr'. That's a hard "ch" (check) and a soft "ar" (star) but I pronounce it "shar" as in soft "ch" (sheriff) and soft "ar" (star). It's a lot easier and everyone understands it. I'm half british, half french and it works in both languages.

I pronounce it exactly as it is written....... exactly as words all should be......"ch ar" ch and ar, char.As in short for "char"acter, except of course there is no "acter" at the end, so no "care" pronounciation.

Just to add to the confusion... I do believe that char is pronounced as in most examples given here as 'charr'.
That's a hard "ch" (check) and a soft "ar" (star) but I pronounce it "shar" as in soft "ch" (sheriff) and soft "ar" (star).

It's a lot easier and everyone understands it. I'm half british, half french and it works in both languages.

Actually, I think that's it in a nutshell. The hard "ch" and soft "ar" as described above pretty much sum up how I reckon it should be said. As for the word "integer" mentionned earlier:

"inter (as in "international") "jurr" (like "purr", or the "ger" in "germ").

If it's shortened to "int" though (for coding, for example), I say it how it's spelt ("splint" without the "spl").

Basically, I adopt the idea that if a word's shortened (both "char" and "int") then it's just easier to pronounce it how it's spelt rather than how the word it's based on is pronounced (although that means I pronounce the "int" the same in "integer").

Just a handful of random observations for you, there...

How

How Do You Pronounce "char"?

Replying to Aka_BarReplying to FirefoxRocks

I prefer 'kyar'/care because it is the abreviation of the word Character.

In a programming class , all of my teachers and my friends pronounced it as 'kyar' as in character. This is just my personal opinion. Let people from English speaking countries comment on that.

Biju Joseph and.

Cochin , India

-Biju Joseph

I pronounce it as 'charr' as in charcoal.That seemed the best way to pronounce it to me because when I first saw char I thought of it as its own word.Also that's how both my Intro To C++ and Inter C++ professors pronounced it.My Microprocessors professor is from India. He pronounces it 'car'. It drives me nuts.

I usually say, well, character. I tend to read abbreviations all out, though. For ex. I would have said ex. as example.