xisto Community
tezza

How Many Computers Do You Have?

Me: 1 computer working, 1 spare computer, a 486-laptop and probably enough part to build another DX4 :D My sister: 1 computer working, a second for music and a non-used PII-laptopMy mother: 1 computer workingMy father: 2 computers working, 1 laptop working and 2 spare computerThat makes a total of 13 computer, used and not-used . In total, we have 6 computers in use. It used to be more, but I got a bit tired of having 2 to 3 computers :) .

I don't really need more than two computers, but I personally have one main PC which I rapidly use and next to it an working Amiga 1200 for fun to enjoy, both connected to the network. My brother has one more PC and my another brother has a computer too, so that makes 4 computers :) If to count the ones which are not used (old or broken) so I could add three.. And I don't let to use my computer for anybody! :D

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

How many computers do you have in your house. (I include working pc's, mac's and laptops)
I'll start us, I currently have six desktop computers and three laptops.

I have Only

I have One Personal Desktop Computer and Think Pad IBM PI-133 also Macintosh iBook G3
my mother has one Presonal Desktop Computer only using when she types dissertations,theses
Edited by Aka_Bar (see edit history)

I have my laptop and an old Pentium II desktop that's not used anymore. Sister has a new Pentium IV PC that I built and brother and his girlfriend has a Dell laptop. I also have a iMac 700Mhz all-in-one machine in the closet. Only played around with it a couple of times :)

Wow, thats more than the amount of computers that I want, what would I do with all those computers??? But I personally have 2 computers, which is an Alienware computer and a Presario Laptop. I main use my laptop for general use as browsing and downloading, but the alienware is used for upscale things such as them overpowering games, and modeling programs and tasks which I need a bunch of programs open for a certain project that I need to work on.Not to mention that my alienware computer is basically my entertainment system with a really nice size LCD monitor and speaker system, so yup 2 good computers is enough for me, any more computers and I dont know what use I could use for them but set up a network for party computer gaming? hahah.

Total: 12 (9 desktops [all PIV], 3 laptops[1 PIV, 1 Core2Duo, 1 AMD Turion 64X2) None of the desktops are branded, all OEM parts. 2 21" Dell CRTs, all other desktops 17".1. a powerful computer that i use all day for work2. a server3. a P2P-enabled computer (not on my home network)4. a gaming/video capture computer5. my wife's computer6. kids' computer7-9. workstationsLaptops:1. Compaq Presario 2568 (on its last legs)2. Dell 64003. Acer 6100It is a lot, but my home is my office as well.

Wow, so many computers! I have predominantly used laptops for as long as I can remember. On the other hand, I just have one. When it gets old and replaced, I usually give it away. The lifetime of a laptop in my hands is usually two years, but my most current one has been with me for almost six years (yes, it is ancient). It is now so old and worn down (some letters are fading on the keyboard; my letter "n" has completely disappeared) that I may keep this one even when I upgrade to a new laptop. I would be embarrassed to insult someone else with this ancient relic. By that time, I will therefore increase my computer census to TWO!

I've got 3 AMD desktop Athlons XP that range from 1800 to 2600+, one Duron 1300+ (the one conected to internet 24/7), and about 20 old PCs (DELL) where they are some Celerons 266-333, PII 300-450 and 2 PIII 500. Besides i've got 2 old 486DX2 ready to be assembled and work, among other assembly motherboards, cards, and cases. So why i've stored such amount of old pieces?, well, i'm electronic, and i like to play with those (and an old PC can be really useful for some tasks). Of course i'd love to sell some PC sets with a very low price.

I don't know if it's trend to have multiple computers. I never felt the need for many so far. As far as owning computers is concerned until recently I was a parasite! Recently purchased a Athlon 3000+ 64-bit processor based assembled computer. I'm yet to load a proper operating system there. Currently I have Fedora installed...Other than mine @ home we have a IBM laptop and another P4based desktop machine... Bothe belonging to my friend....

1 PowerMac G5 Quadcore, 8GB of RAM 1 Dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac G4, 4 GB of Ram1 Dual Core 2.5Ghz PowerMac G5, 3.5GB of Ram5x1.25 Mac Mini (512MB of ram each) (Xgrid Nodes)1 PowerBook Titanium (1Ghz, 1GB of RAM)1 iBook G3 (700Mhz, 256MB of Ram)On the way:1 Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5, 2GB of RAM

I have 2 desktops and one notebook.The desktop is hp and i bought it because its cheap. its sempron 3000. The other is a p3 and laptop is dell. i had a hp lap top and it went bad preety quick.

I really can't see why normal every-day computer users would need more than 2 computers, at most, and even that is a bit exaggerated! I mean, of course, just like any geek, I too feel the excitement of owning as much gadgetry as possible, but a computer is not just a green laser or something of the sort, it is an expensive piece of equipment. Most people here could use two computers for all their needs! Maybe one computer for more CPU-intensive tasks, and another one for general simple use. And yes, you can even merge your P2P-specific machine into one of your two workstations by use of proper protection. If you have enough money to invest in so many computers, you might as well have so money for a decent anti-virus program.

Sorry if this comes off as really insulting and critical... but I'm just a bit jealous, that's all. :) Just kidding, even though I am jealous, but I really think that owning so many computers is a waste. I have one computer for myself, while my mom has a laptop, and my dad has a desktop at home and another laptop at work (and wherever else he's at). All of our computers are really old. My personal machine is about 3-4 years old, while my mom's laptop is a big younger, but for some reason it's the slowest computer I have witnessed working. Opening Microsoft Outlook takes about 5 minutes! :D My dad's computer is about 5-6 years old, but still working quite well, and he even does a bit of video processing on it!

So that's all we need...

Oh, and by the way, all of our computers are running Microsoft Windows XP, some of them even legally. :D

And again, sorry to have come off as really harsh!

I use some of my old P2/3 (that i got free because they were to be dumped) to recreate a local network in order tu simulate an attack and see the response of each different system to this attack (for example, a MAC poisoning, Man in the Middle, etc.)Of course there are some other imaginative uses for such computers, I plan to use one specifically for domotics, another PC as a studio for feeding an FM emitter i assembled some years ago..., and well, standard ATX power supplies with some modifications can be used as 12V car battery chargers. Just be imaginative...

Edited by DrK3055A (see edit history)