xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
talktime

Electronic Companies Team Up For Wireless Hi-definition Video Electronic companies team up for wireless hi-definition video

The world’s leading electronics makers have teamed up to develop a wireless technology to carry high-definition video and eliminate some of the cable spaghetti that links televisions with set-top boxes and other equipment. Seven companies form the WirelessHD Consortium to free high-definition TVs from the tangle of cables connected to cable or satellite boxes, gaming consoles, DVD players, or even camcorders and other portable multimedia gadgets. The companies are LG Electronics, Matsushita Electric, known for its Panasonic brand, NEC, Samsung Electronics, Sony, and Toshiba, as well as SiBEAM a wireless technology start-up. It will transmit high-definition video that has not been compressed digitally so users should experience the same image quality they currently get with wired HD-capable video connectors. The WirelessHD group has been working quietly for more than a year and aims to have the technical specifications completed next spring. It intends to integrate the technology into HDTVs and a range of other audio-video equipment, as well as make it compatible with other wireless and wired video formats.Transmitting HD video seamlessly and wirelessly requires a large amount of radio bandwidth and poses technical issues involving picture quality and interference. Though WirelessHD hasn’t released full details of how its technology will work, the consortium claims it will deliver high-definition video at multi-gigabit data rates — faster than any other radio technology in development. Do you think this venture will be successful?

I have heard about that. The companies will have to put alot of towers up to transmit all of the high-def signals. The cable for high-def television is already present, so this will probably not be a great reality for the next few years, except in major cities with high pupulation per square mile. I think this will be kind of like cell-phones. For the first little while, it was quite rare, but now that they have the towers in place, everyone has it. My guess is that everything in the future will be run by satellites transmitting to dishes on earth, and then the signal being rebroadcast to individual homes, kind of a mixture between current Satellite TV and the new Wireless HDTV.If there is a big enough push/need/demand for this technology, I see no reason why we cannot have HDTV when we go camping, or in our cars as we go on trips. It will take awhile for it to catch on and for people to give up on regular cable.I give it about 3-5 years for it to be widely accepted, unless they get ALOT of backing from investors. This could be in conjunction with HD-Radio, and that is already in place.I say- SUCCESSFUL!!

I have heard about that. The companies will have to put alot of towers up to transmit all of the high-def signals. The cable for high-def television is already present, so this will probably not be a great reality for the next few years, except in major cities with high pupulation per square mile. I think this will be kind of like cell-phones. For the first little while, it was quite rare, but now that they have the towers in place, everyone has it. My guess is that everything in the future will be run by satellites transmitting to dishes on earth, and then the signal being rebroadcast to individual homes, kind of a mixture between current Satellite TV and the new Wireless HDTV.
If there is a big enough push/need/demand for this technology, I see no reason why we cannot have HDTV when we go camping, or in our cars as we go on trips. It will take awhile for it to catch on and for people to give up on regular cable.I give it about 3-5 years for it to be widely accepted, unless they get ALOT of backing from investors. This could be in conjunction with HD-Radio, and that is already in place.

I say- SUCCESSFUL!!

I agree with you. As I think more about this i think they will be successful question would be how soon and how cheap. Preety soon they will be no cables at all. Also I dont know whether these signals would adversly affect human life. As they aslo talk abot cell phone signal.