xisto Community
Vyoma

Feline Animal Model Non-humanoid character modelling attempt in Blender

OK. It has been quite some time since I worked with Blender since the last attempt that must here here somewhere in these forums. I finished that, and on attempting to do a UV mapping, I found that I had greatly messed up with edge loops and pole placements. That done, I started another humanoid, but this thread is not about that.

Here, I am trying a non-humanoid character - a feline/catline animal to be specific. There is not much background information on this particular group and hence, it is rather free flow design.

I have completed the very basic step in the process of box modelling. Here are some screen shots of the model.

Standard front and side wireframe views:

Posted Image

Some custom views in both wireframe mode, and the subdivision algorithm applied:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is still a WIP, and I will keep updating this tread.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

wow that is amazing. I love it. I wish I new where to begin in doing something as unique as that. I really like it. It looks like a mix between a monkey and a cat ha ha. Great stuff though i am very impressed. Please keep us updated.

Now that you mention it, yes it does look a bit like monkey. I think I have to make the jaws and the front shoulder a bit more bulky to give it the feline look. And hopefull, when I draw out the ears, it will make it look more like a cat.And how I came to this stage? Well, it is actually simple. You start from a cube, and then start extruding it at its ends. Then you move the extruded edges/vertices around and rotate them a bit, and keep doing them. Once it is done from tip of its nose to its hind, then we just need to start extruding some selected faces on the torso and there by we get legs. Do the same on the quad on its beind, keep extruding, moving and rotating, and you get a tail. I woudl require to do a similar thing for its ears, and then it all comes to tweaking it a bit more, so that the body structure is got, and then it is all about detailing.

This model?Well, it took about 10-15 minutes to do it. It is really easy to do it if one has a visualization of what one wants. And I used Blender latest version to create this. But it actually took me more time to get the screen shots uploaded to ImageShack. Man! My connection and their server - the combination can be too slow sometimes.So, yes, it took 10-15 minutes to create the above model from scratch using Blender.

No, I did not use a graphics tablet. I used simple mouse - I do not own a graphics tablet. I am not sure though how a graphics tablet would help in 3D desing where most of the work is done in perspective view - a mouse would give much better control.But for all 2D CG works, I believe tablets would be greatly helpful.

oh yeah I didnt think of that. By the ways I have downloaded the software now that you have mentioned and am going to play around. I searched google for tutorials, but I wouldnt know where to begin. What is the most basic and easiest thing to make? Also please link to any good tutorials. Thanks so much.

Well, if you have gone through some of the forum threads I mentioned at http://forums.xisto.com/topic/91581-topic/?findpost=1064358349 and you want something specific for Blender, you should go through the following link:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
It is a book in the making but pretty much basic stuff are covered.

And what is the basic and easiest thing to make? Well, you should try some simple architectural modelling in the begining - like a dog-house, or a simple house, and then some objects like bottles, vases. Parallely you can start making organic modelling - start off with cartoonish looking models and then you can create real looking and even character modelling. I do not know beyond that because, I am still in a phase where I can make only amature cartoonish models.

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

Yes, I would be using that as the next step, before I actually go in and move those vertices to give the base for muscle groups. The thing with 'smooth' in edit tab is that it tends to scale down the geometry a bit. Also, there would be some places around seams where I do not want to smooth. I think, for doing this, I will select groups of vertices and 'smooth' them and then scale them up a bit to retain proportions.

Wow! :D That's amazing!

I hate gifted people :). Nah, just kidding, I'm really just astounded at how good this looks, especially for the trivial amount of time it took you!

It doesn't seem that realistic, but on the other hand, it doesn't have a cartoon-ish look to it at all! To keep it short: keep up the good work, and I'd love to see more of your stuff! Especially some finished and texturized creations!