xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Suse 10.0: Can't Get On Network! Help Please!

On my main computer, I got SuSE 10.0 installed as a dual boot with no problems except the network. SuSE sees my integrated NIC card (it's on the motherboard) but I can't get online!

I went into terminal, did a SU - and logged in and then did an ifconfig... eth0 is there but no IPv4 address, just an IPv6 and then the loopback address.

Could it be that I'm running the 32 bit version of it and when I went to install, it was like "Cool computer, but.... this is 32 bit and you're using a 64 bit processor!!!!"? Just wondering. I could probably download 10.1 64 bit overnight and just burn and install it tomorrow.

Any ideas??

Here's what the terminal said:

eth0	 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:17:31:D9:AD:D3		   inet6 addr: fe80::217:31ff:fed9:add3/64 Scope:Link		   UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1		   RX packets:130 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0		   TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0		   collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000		   RX bytes:44662 (43.6 Kb)   TX byes:0 (0.0 Kb)		   Interrupt:223 Base address:0xe000
Loopback doesn't seem to have any problems.

Also, just another problem, I have a dual monitor system and I was wondering if there was a way to get SuSE to "extend" my desktop, like in Windows.

Thanks!

[N]F
Edited by nightfox (see edit history)

It's ok to run 32-bit Linux on 64-bit systems.
Just check that you installed the drivers for your LAN.

xboxrulz

Hmmm... well, SuSE supposedly "sees" the device. Maybe I'll find one of my extra cards that's listed in the database and maybe that'll work. It's been so long since I've worked with SuSE! It's great to be back!! :)

[N]F

Everything is fine, eth0 would not show if the drivers were not working.
You just have not brought up the interface.

Usually, eth0 is brought up with init scripts.

set the eth0 init script to run dureing bootup ( this is different for different distro's )

Or, start the ethernet interface manually...

read man ifconfig

i dont remember exactly... but its somthing like...

ifconfig eth0 up	  ( to start with dhcp )orifconfig eth0 < network options > up		( to manually set gateway etc etc )

Also make sure you have at least one dns server ip in /etc/resolve.conf

well, I have been w/ SuSE Linux since 2003, so I don't really know why I would leave SuSE Linux at all.
xboxrulz

I only left because I didn't have DSL and I haven't really used SuSE since SuSE 8 :) and Linux without broadband is quite difficult.

Everything is fine, eth0 would not show if the drivers were not working.You just have not brought up the interface.

Usually, eth0 is brought up with init scripts.

Thanks, I'll have to look into it. I'm too used to RedHat and Fedora Core where there is a "Network" menu with all the eth devices. I really like it a lot because it is easy to enable or disable eth0/eth1, etc. Except on SuSE, it sees it and it says that the IP is to be configured by DHCP (which is what I want because this is my personal system and not a server) but it isn't getting an IP. No connection. But everytime that config utility runs, it says it's enabled.

I'm currently not at home right now so I'll have to try this later.

[N]F

xboxrulz, or anyone else, this seems quite interesting when I ran what you gave me:

Shutting down network interfaces:	eth0	 device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev 2a)	eth0	 configuration: eth-id-00:17:31:d9:ad:d3Shutting down service network . . . . . . . . Hint: you may set manditory devices in /etc/sysconfig/network/configSetting up network devices:	lo	lo		 IP address: 127.0.0.1/8	eth0	 device: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev 2a)	eth0	 configuration: eth-id-00:17:31:d9:ad:d3	eth0	 (DHCP) . . . . . no IP address yet... backgrounding.Setting up service network. . . . . . . . . . SuSEfirewall2: Setting up rules from /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ...SuSEfirewall2: batch committing...SuSEfirewall2: Firewall rules successfully set

It's like it can't find my DHCP which is my router (192.168.1.1). What is even more interesting is that when I set a static IP, I don't get any DHCP messages or errors from Firefox, it just sits there trying to find "google.com"

[N]F

Did you make sure that DHCP was enabled on your router?This is just a pure network error, and not necessarily a Linux error.Also, try to disable your firewall for now, it is known to block out Internet access.xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

Did you make sure that DHCP was enabled on your router?
This is just a pure network error, and not necessarily a Linux error.

Also, try to disable your firewall for now, it is known to block out Internet access.

xboxrulz

Ok, I re-installed and put in another NIC card and lo and behold I'm online now! :) Now my next project is getting dual monitors working since right now everything is being mirrored.

[N]F

I see that you fixed your problem by replacing with a different nic, but one thing you could try if this happens to you again is checking if forcedeth is being used as the nic module on a kernel pre 2.6.16. I had this problem with an on-board nvidia nic and to fix it I had to recompile my kernel to a newer version. There's an easy to follow howto for this at https://www.howtoforge.com/, just search for "suse kernel."-reply by geoff