xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Photography Portfolio

I am creating an elcetronic photography portfolio, which will be available on the Internet for people to view. Currently I have created a Flash scroll where you can scroll through the main image categories and then once you click on a category it takes you to a selection of photographs related to the category. My query is what else do you think I should include in it? I have a write up about my inspiration, biography, techniques and how to purchase my prints, but what else do you think should be included in it?I am trying to make it unique and different as most web portfolios I have come across are very similar. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

I am creating an elcetronic photography portfolio, which will be available on the Internet for people to view. Currently I have created a Flash scroll where you can scroll through the main image categories and then once you click on a category it takes you to a selection of photographs related to the category. My query is what else do you think I should include in it? I have a write up about my inspiration, biography, techniques and how to purchase my prints, but what else do you think should be included in it?
I am trying to make it unique and different as most web portfolios I have come across are very similar. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

It sounds like you have all of the needed info. I think it is okay to keep it simple and let the work speak for itself on a portfolio. It's fine to put in new and different things, but ultimately I thinkt hat the work itself could serve that purpose :P

Hope it goes well. Maybe people could provide more ideas if they saw some of your work or your site so far.

I think that it's good to let your work shine and speak for itself rather than adding a lot of text or information explaining it. Especially with photography, since you're capturing a moment out of real life, sometimes people can relate more closely with your images if you don't say anything about them at all. Of course though since it is a portfolio it's good to offer the information you've said you included. I just don't think that anything past that is really necessary. Portfolio sites (at least in my opinion) seem to captivate me more when I can just dive into all the images in the gallery rather than going through and reading a bunch of text explaining it. After all, sometimes I might have a different perspective on the picture than the artist did. Art is very flexible, and sometimes offering a different interpretation that might conflict with the viewer's, can crush their initial attachment to the piece.Anyways, for portfolio sites - simple is best. I seem to have rambled a bit, so you have my apologies for that.

I think that it's good to let your work shine and speak for itself rather than adding a lot of text or information explaining it. Especially with photography, since you're capturing a moment out of real life, sometimes people can relate more closely with your images if you don't say anything about them at all. Of course though since it is a portfolio it's good to offer the information you've said you included. I just don't think that anything past that is really necessary. Portfolio sites (at least in my opinion) seem to captivate me more when I can just dive into all the images in the gallery rather than going through and reading a bunch of text explaining it. After all, sometimes I might have a different perspective on the picture than the artist did. Art is very flexible, and sometimes offering a different interpretation that might conflict with the viewer's, can crush their initial attachment to the piece.
Anyways, for portfolio sites - simple is best. I seem to have rambled a bit, so you have my apologies for that.

Agreed 100%
rambling or not, it is the truth

Ooh same here, I'm deciding on making a portfolio as well! :ph34r: The idea of a Flash scrollbar seems good to me. But may I ask, how would you go back and edit it without Flash? (I'm no pro in Flash.) What I'm using is "Lightbox" which has a nice look to it. And it's easily edited w/o the use of specific programs. Eh yes, it doesn't come that close to a "gallery". Perhaps you could include the tools/programs you used. Oh and to make it different hmm...you could give it a "jigsaw" feel, a scrapbook feel, a technological portal feel, what the heck...it's up to you to decide. Be creative! :)Good luck!