xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Joomla/mambo?

This may sound silly but what is the difference between the two? Also if I were to install Joomla could I use Mambo skins?If they are different what is the difference and, which is better?

Ok well it all started with Mambo...then a fight between the staff resulted in people leaving and starting up on thier own and they developed Joomla!

It can all be learned about here....link

Most of the modules for Mambo work for Joomla and vice versa...to be honest my choice would be Joomla anytime...esp when the 1.5 Beta becomes an Alpha release..

Cool stuff thanks for the information. Yeah I started off looking at Mambo and then found Joomla. I have never used them so I am still new to this kind of software.I have seen some of the modules avialable they look pretty good. I think I will try it out. Once again thanks for the help and advice

In my opinion, Joomla! CMS has a better community. The people are really nice, helpful, and there are a lot of (free) modules, components and templates.There were some issues concerning the software (Mambo) being open-source, so the staff split :) Combining these two systems is still easy, since all the Joomla versions use mostly Mambo code. However, with the release of 1.5, there will be some major changes, so you won't be able to use Mambo skins on Joomla to the same extent.

Oh I did not know that. Yeah I have seen the 1.5 beta version however I was unsure whether to get this or the older version. The reason is that quite a few of the modules do not currently work with the beta version. Which would you advise the beta 1.5 version or the older one?Another question is the actual security, which I have posted in another thread.Thanks for all the advice.

If you are just starting with Joomla, I'd advise you to use the older versions, because they are complete. When you get used to it (that will take a week or two), 1.5 will probably be out of beta, and you will be ready to use it.As for security, I do not know of any security issues. I've never had any problems with my site getting hacker nor have I heard of such things. However, security holes do appear every now and then - but they are always fixed quickly.