xisto Community
tezza

Best Freeware

I have two of them :FileZilla, which helps me a lot for ftp transfers.And WinRar, which is a must for compressing and uncompressing files. I lof the fact that using win Winrar I can unpack tar files, and gz and tgz files !

cool stuff. I never used WinRar for my compression. Does it do .zip files aswell? Silly question but just wondering as I normally use AlphaZip, which does them all. But alphazip is only free for 30 days or so.

cool stuff. I never used WinRar for my compression. Does it do .zip files aswell? Silly question but just wondering as I normally use AlphaZip, which does them all. But alphazip is only free for 30 days or so.

WinRar has "rar" as default filetype, but it also compresses in .zip format.

You should pay for it, but it does not stop working after 30 days.

not to be rude, or ruin your good time here....but I'm sure there are several other threads identical to this with pages and pages of replies.

Winrar is the best compressor program after my opinion. It supports all the files as far as i know(havent had a file i could not uncompress with winrar). As said: it doesnt stop working after thirty days.

sorry guys i use the best of the best.. and have everything you want... "linux" ^^

I would say ... no ! Linux is the operating system. this operating system sustains the freeware mentionned in the main topic subject : games, tools, third-party applicatins and other pieces of software.

PC1stpage for website design. http://www.webdesignland.com/ Personally I like it even better than Dreamweaver and it's hard to beat the price. Too bad they don't make a version for Mac. AnyplatformGIMP - If it wasn't for the Kodak and Flaming Pear Plug-ins I use, this would be a great program for graphics editing. It even does somethings better than PS in my opinion.Blender 3D - Best 3D application out there that's free. you can do professional quality works if you have the talent. Also great tool for learning the basic cheap and then transitioning to pro software like Lightwave, Maya, et al.AAA - this is an Axis and Allies Clone written in Java. Nothing fancy, but it plays well and within the rules on any platform.Vegastrike - Okay you really need a good computer and understand how to build the latest version from CVS, but the also check out the Privateer remake mod. Wing Commander Privateer has to be my favorite computer game of all time (okay maybe a close second to Tie Fighter Collectors CD), but Vega Strike is the same thing in a different universe and still extremely fun to play. Mac.Textwrangler - formerally BBedit Lite. BBedit is one of the staples of my editing dietCyberduck - FTP client that is opensourceHandbrake - Opensource DVD ripping software. Great when you need to get a DVD into Final Cut for editing. Solitare XL - Because you need Solitare Terragen - Great program that can use Xgrid.

For me, the best freeware are those that I have installed right now, and that is:

OpenOffice package (I think it is freeware) - since I've had some problems with Microsoft Office, I decided to try out OpenOffice. I just got blown away. Besides being free, it is fast, lightweight, and has a built-in PDF converter. It is a minor thing, but very important.

Firefox - it needs no further explanations.

Notepad++ - an invaluable tool when it comes to programming and web design.

TrackMania nations - an unbelievably catchy racing game free for download. If I'm correct, it has had over 5 million downloads up to now ;)

Best freeware programs I use :

GIMP

Good and powerful picture editing program. Alphachannels are very usefuls.

Download link:

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

UltimateZip

Supports more than one filetypes. Its also very easy to use.

Download link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

FileZilla

Very simple FTP program yet powerful.

Download link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Mozilla Firefox

This is awesome Web browser with lots of things and features. Very recommended!

Download link:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/

not to be rude, or ruin your good time here....
but I'm sure there are several other threads identical to this with pages and pages of replies.

indeed you're right ;) : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81490-topic/?findpost=1064285603
There are too many freeware apps on my pc so I'm not going to bore you by listing all of them, the best ones are already mentioned in this topic or the topic I just gave ;)

I've learned my lesson about freeware programs: don't download too many or your computer will be full of wanted apps and possible spyware/adware. Best to always scan to be safe right? There are though, some applications that are pretty helpful to me:

HFC - A hexing program that lets you colorize your font for signatures in forums or sites.

CamStudio - A small 'recording' program that lets you record your doings on your desktop (or folders). Great for creating desktop videos of tutorials or if you're showing a friend how to fix/create something on their comp.

PSPVideo9 - For those who have a PSP, this software is a must. Converts video files into .mp4 files which is needed to play video on a PSP.

Terragen - A free landscape generator. Perfect free program to test out your 3D graphical skills or if you're a freelancing digital artist/game designer.

Icon Maker - A program that lets you make your own desktop icons (for those who get tired easily of the regular ones).

I've learned my lesson about freeware programs: don't download too many or your computer will be full of wanted apps and possible spyware/adware. Best to always scan to be safe right? There are though, some applications that are pretty helpful to me:

I have never had any spyware/adware problems because I downloaded and installed freeware. If you're not sure about a program, you could check out softpedia.com, they do check freeware and the programs that pass the test get a Posted Image certification.

Another good source is snapfiles.com .

But I do agree with the "don't download too many" statement, before you know you're harddrive is filled ;) . I'm starting to get this problem with my USB stick, it contains almost 500Mb of freeware 'portable' applications ;) .