xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Favourite Audio Players

There are tons on the market but which media player do you use and why?Here are a few examples:Windows Media PlayerWinampItunesRealOne PlayerI use windows media player as I have windows media centre edition and it integrates with that so I can play it whilst using all the features in Media Centre.What about you?

I use iTunes. Mainly because of having a iPod and its the ebst, if the only program that will transfer to the iPod well. So thats really my choice. Failing that, on other pcs i have to choose WMP. Its a very good program with heaps of features.

I would have to say that I use Winamp for listenign to music around the house..I use the 5.1 version with a lot of plugins such as advanced controls plugin which gives you control of Winamp from the system tray which is handy for me always skipping around in playlists and turning things up and down all the time..I love the way you can click on files in explorer and right click them and get the choice to play the file or enque the file to the playlist.

I also use a proffesional DJ package for when I DJ -

I use Traktor from Native Intstruments, I also have a full on Midi mixer (Behringer) that has all the controls of an audio mixer but has extra things like scratch pads (like a Pioneer DJ CD player) and pitch bend buttons etc etc.

With a bit of hacking around Ive managed to get this midi mixer to work with the global hotkeys in Winamp :)))

So the mixer now sits next to my kb..if I touch a slider or knob on the mixer when its in winamp mode..the signals sent in Midi are translated into the hotkeys in winamp..very handy indeed!!

Ive also rigged it up to work in Photoshop!! I use sliders to zoom in on things and the scratch pads as the colour picker :D

I Would recommend Traktor to anyone serious about being a DJ or wanting to mix a few tracks together for some reason.

If anyone has any questions about Traktor..Im the man :D Ive been using it since it was realeased and I am part of the Beta testing crew for NI.

Marky;)

For me it's VLC, you can use it on Windows, Mac, Linux... it plays any audio/video file with an excelent quality. It has a minimalistic interface so its very easy to use, but it has thousands of features inside :)

My favorite audio player is still Winamp, but since I'm on linux can't use it...Yes if I'd use WINE .. But don't want that :)Winamp served me almost 5 years on my music needs, and never dropped it.But the newer versions kinda lost my attention, they were more system demandingand not that clean anymore. My favorite version of Winamp stayed on 2.xx (can't remember the exact version number).I used Windows Media Player too but didn't really satisfy me. It hadn't the "thing". Which Winamp has. But WMP integrated a bit better in Windows itself then Winamp.Well now I'm on linux and my audio players switch a lot. Currently use Audacious,since XMMS had been dropped by the Gentoo team and like to go with them :DBut I would say XMMS was / is the best linux audio player!! (Which is almost exactly the same as Winamp)Bakr_2k5

I like foobar and Windows Media Player..In my opinion iTunes is very bad unless you have an iPOD.If you are looking for something lite I deenitely reccomends foobar 2000, but I must warn you that it is not graphically rich it is really advanced and have loads of plugins.Why I like Windows Media Player is that in the 11 th edition it is very good looking and the search functionality is really improved to find my songs.The auto playlist creator is good.More over it can be used to play Videos too.So I don't want to install many applications and bloat my PC.[EDITED BY XBOXRULZ: deleted the doubled paragraph]

In my opinion, I love iTunes. It is not because my family has an iPod, I've had iTunes for quite a while before my mom got the iPod.

Also, I am used to using Windows Media Player, both version 9 and 11. WMP 9 is for my Windows 98 machine, while 11 is fro this Windows XP Home Edition computer. I don't have Windows XP Media Center Edition, although I hope that I will get Windows Vista Home Premium sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.

I sometimes (occasionally) have Winamp installed, however I find the interface un-user-friendly and would rather use iTunes. I'm not saying that Winamp is a bad media player, it just isn't good for me.

Anyways, I prefer listening to the local radio stations any day over using my downloaded music files. It is way more better (somehow).

Mostly everyone that has an iPod prefer iTunes. Otherwise Winamp and other, erm, less popular ones seem to have the majority.

One other thing: RealPlayer SUCKS!!!

The players i've used in the past have been windows media player and realplayer, i must agree that realplayer does suck. Yeah it can have some good features but what really lets it down is all that spyware. Windows media player isn't bad, at least it's clean but it does lack features and is what most users use.I prefer winamp which is what i'm using at the moment. There are good features, a great media library, global hotkeys, online music and videos and more. I like it because it is pretty low on resources (Even when i have the display smoothness maxed out and i have a nice 'fade the window to transparent when not the active window' effect).Just to sum it up, winamp because:- Great media library- Big range of plugins- The sound is good- Low on resourcesAnd also, the basic player is free which includes all the features above!-HellFire

I use Winamp. My friends all swear by iTunes, but I don't have an iPod (I have a SanDisk mp3 player instead) so I like Winamp. Winamp works well and I have gotten used to it. It can be customized extensively to make it easier to use while getting other work done (keyboard shortcuts, docking at the top of the window, good skin selection, etc). I love how I can listen to XM radio (while limited) for free. It has worked well for me and is faster and takes up less RAM than Windows Media Player.

In windows, I mainly use winamp. Occasionally I use itunes just to update firmware on my ipod, but I never use it to play music because it is a bloated resource hog. I also don't like that it has about 3 background processes that run on startup, some of which aren't even needed. Recently I have been checking out some other players. Media Monkey seems like it might be a good program. The stable version is really ugly, but the new beta is looking better. It has ipod support and pulls less resources than itunes. Also, the interface is set up in a similar way.On linux I use Amarok and love it. It is very flexible, configurable, open source, light on resources and just plain great. I would love to see it on Windows, but I fear that even if it was ported to windows it wouldn't be as great.