xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tezza

Best Modelling Software

To create something like that besides time and patience would be software like this

3D Studio MaxAnim8orAutoCADAutodesk CombustionBlender 3DBodyPaint 3DBryceCinema 4DLightwave 3DMaya 3DPoserRhino 3DSwift 3DTerragenUlead Cool 3DWings 3DZBrush

Out of the things that our good saint-michael has indicated, I have personally used Blender and Wings. They are Open Source and I could use them - the rest of the others (I am not sure of all) are commercial software and cost a load.Between Blender and Wings - the choice comes down to extent of modelling and features required. Wings is good for object modelling purposes and have a very sleek user interface (UI). Blender on the other hand has a bit of complex UI that might take some time to learn and get around with - but after that it is a great tool. It contains most of the basic features and a little more that any other commercial softwares may have. And Blender is also great for a technique called 'Subdivision modelling'. I do not think though that Blender supports 'Patch modelling'.

Again, I dispense my knowldege that is limited only to opensource softwares.
Head to http://www.wings3d.com/ and download a copy of it for yourself. And then the following things:
1. Go through their manual. You can download it from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wings/files/
2. Lurk a little bit at http://www.vfxwizard.com/forum/ and get a hang of the concepts.
3. Work on some things and get yourself acquainted. Post it here at Xisto and get some reviews. So you can hone your basic 3d visualization skills.
4. You may think of then shifting to the more advanced Blender 3d after that. It is a real good piece of software - incidentally, it was a proprietry software earlier that was owned by some studio. They realeased it to public some time back.
5. Instead of 4, if you have funds, you can as well buy 3D Max, Maya, ZBrush, or Silo or any of the other ones.

Ok I will check it out. I will probably start off with a open source version. However if I was to purchase one, which would people recommend?

Sorry about that tezza. Any suggestion I give on that issue would not be authoritative. So, I would better keep mum.

AutoCAD is CAD software designed for engineering and architecture. If your going to be using 3D Studio * products for animation and rendering, then it is a wise choice. Also if you think about things from more of a technical drawing mind set, it's a good program. However to do animations well, your going to need 3D Studio Max or Viz.

thanks for the advice. By the way off topic a bit but is Auto CAD as good as everyone says it is?

autocad is very basic preliminary software
solidworks and Pro e are more advanced sofrware for similar use
i will post more info about them in a couple of days

Oh cool. Yeah I have read about 3d Max but never really new much about it. My main aim is to be able to make 3d models. I am not bothered about the animations at the moment. I am just interested in building basic 3d models. Would 3d Max do this? I know its a lot so I wouldnt be getting it I was just interested.

Well, 3DSM is major, it's the industry standard and therefor takes its time to learn.
When you just want to make static models I would recommend Gmax.
http://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds-max/overview
It's a stripped down version of 3DSM but it's free and aimed for game dev.
Well, another good editor for basic models is Milkshape 3D
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
It's shareware, you need to pay a little fee after using it for some days

It's up to you what you choose but these are the only ones I can think that aims for basic modeling (with no extraordinary overhead and such)

I personally believe that all the modeling programs is similar so there is really no easy program out there for a beginner, you just have to go through the struggle of using the program and youll be able to generate some neat models once you know the workarounds of the program. Because from experience I learned that if you learn one modeling program it is very similar to the next program, because it both do the same thing just finding where that shortcut key or that option pertains ot be the only problem from jumping from one modeling program to the next.I started learning modeling on Litewave, then I jumped to 3D studio max, then I jumped to Softimage, this Softimage, program doesnt seem to be known, but it was the one program that created the Skeleton and model for Terminator 3. I believe it was also the program that created the A.I movie models as well, I say this in accordance to the book I have of it.So in conclusion, yes any program is learnable, just have to struggle on figuring out how to use it, no real easy program out there, even if there was it probably dont have the features that you want to use in the long run.