xisto Community
Tallkid

Help With Find A New Motherboard/memory

my computer(I think) is slow and I want it to be faster. I'm a newbie at this and I was wondering if you could help out System Specs: docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRS410_mksp.pdf

Plz help, Tall

-First thing is to delete any unuse files-defrag your drive-defrag your registry-download Ram Def to help optimize your ram a bit more-Although you have to pay for it but the trial version should help, get Advance System Optimizer that can do most of what I just mentioned-get anti-spyware/adware programs, good anti-virus program to help clean anything in the background.Hopefully these steps will help speed up your computer

I think your computer is slow because is a bit low at RAM amount. I bet my left hand that if you add some DDR PC2100 modules up to 1 GB, your system will run like hell. Besides that, follow the advice saint-michael told you, as long as windows likes to mess up with harddisk sectors as time goes by.

Yup, that would fit, but since the computer can't handly more than 1Gb, you'd have to remove the memory that's already in it. Concerning the previous post, do a complet check of your hard disk, it might be damaged. btw, when is the last time you've installed windows ? Recommended is to reinstall windows every year (with a complete format of your hard drive), it keeps the registry fresh, it keeps the hard drive empty (no unused files anymore) and it removes everything at startup that you won't need anymore.

No you are fine with memeory. Firstly i would buy some VAIO recovery CD's and restore your whole system. Then i would tweak it down a bit. I will be writing a tutorial sometime next week on securing and tweaking down windows, be sure to check it out. Also when your going to be changing ram on your system, be sure to ground urself, or you risk your system dying.

No you are fine with memeory. Firstly i would buy some VAIO recovery CD's and restore your whole system. Then i would tweak it down a bit. I will be writing a tutorial sometime next week on securing and tweaking down windows, be sure to check it out. Also when your going to be changing ram on your system, be sure to ground urself, or you risk your system dying.

Are you sure that 256 MB are enough to keep up an OS like Windows XP???

Even my PIII 500 has 512 MB and many times the virtual memory swap file gets around 1Gig (and i'm talking about Windows 98, that in normal condition demands far less memory than XP)

To be frank I agree with you DrK3055A. If you are running considerably big applications, 512MB(Minimum) is definitely needed and 256MB is not enough. For example, if you're running SQL Server 2005 Express addition with Management console, the minimum requirement itself is 512MB!!!

If one is running 3-5 reasonably big applications simultaneously or one big application, 512MB will be too low for XP.

Tallkid, I strongly suggest a RAM upgrade. You can buy that Kingston RAM. (I don't know if your motherboard/processor support it). But, DDR2 RAM is a better buy than DDR.

Even my PIII 500 has 512 MB and many times the virtual memory swap file gets around 1Gig (and i'm talking about Windows 98, that in normal condition demands far less memory than XP)

Ya dude, i have been running Windows XP Pro on the following system:

AMD Athlon 640mhz
128 mb ram
120 gig hard drive (thats new)

It works quite well, sometimes freezes but it does its job.We bought it in 1999, it survived my damage and is being used by my 10 year brother. Its page has a max limit of 10 gigs. So imagine the possibilty. Also, it has linux installed on it. If you know windows you can do anything. My next goal is figuring away to install windows xp home on computer with no RAM (not possible) hehe.

Ya dude, i have been running Windows XP Pro on the following system:
AMD Athlon 640mhz
128 mb ram
120 gig hard drive (thats new)

It works quite well, sometimes freezes but it does its job.We bought it in 1999, it survived my damage and is being used by my 10 year brother. Its page has a max limit of 10 gigs. So imagine the possibilty. Also, it has linux installed on it. If you know windows you can do anything. My next goal is figuring away to install windows xp home on computer with no RAM (not possible) hehe.

Well dude, It's working only because hardly any big application is running on it. Try running a webserver and a database service(Let's say MySQL) and a graphical application. (Which uses reasonable amount of graphics) Unless you have a graphics card which has RAM, the comp will hang itself.

Hello all. Please, give me link to any AD PROGRAM - wanna to purchase!!!

Thanks.

Guess you are new around here. I fail to find a correlation between the discussion thread and your post. May be you should consider moving your post somewhere else?
(May be I didn't understand your post. Is "AD PROGRAM related to motherboards and memory? Are you talking about ADs regarding MBs and RAM?)

To be frank I agree with you DrK3055A. If you are running considerably big applications, 512MB(Minimum) is definitely needed and 256MB is not enough. For example, if you're running SQL Server 2005 Express addition with Management console, the minimum requirement itself is 512MB!!!

If one is running 3-5 reasonably big applications simultaneously or one big application, 512MB will be too low for XP.

Tallkid, I strongly suggest a RAM upgrade. You can buy that Kingston RAM. (I don't know if your motherboard/processor support it). But, DDR2 RAM is a better buy than DDR.

Can you help me find one one that would support my computer, SP Rao? DDR2 if possible?