xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
marvz

I Got 1 More Problem 1 more problem

my sound device is not working , what should i do ? im not sure if i uninstalled it or some things wrong with my computer but no sound is comming out of my speakers. i try to install sound advice again but no luck. any information on how i may be able to get my sound back on ?

Almost sounds like the sound card got damaged if thats the case, you might have to replace it. I doubt the speakers shorted out. But to make sure check your connection with them as well.

Almost sounds like the sound card got damaged if thats the case, you might have to replace it. I doubt the speakers shorted out. But to make sure check your connection with them as well.

I agree - start at the monitor end - make sure the speakers are on, make sure they work (plug them into a discman?), make sure your sound card is at least being registered by Windows (i.e. - unknown device in device manager, or does it attempt to install the drivers for your card?), and make sure the soundcard isn't somehow dislodged (which it shouldn't if it's screwed in).

If your card is toast, you can get a SoundBlaster 24-bit for like $15 these days... at WalMart even!

Try to also check that your sound card driver is properly installed and check all the settings, sometimes, the speakers may be muted by pure accident.
deltatux

how do i check my sound card ?

Sound devices are present? that is, everything is normal excepts that you get no sound out? or sometimes an error message window pops up saying that your system has not sound devices installed?Also, whats your windows version?

Sound devices are present? that is, everything is normal excepts that you get no sound out? or sometimes an error message window pops up saying that your system has not sound devices installed?
Also, whats your windows version?

i go to my control panel and it says , no audio devive .............. whats that mean ? and i got windows xp ... i think. im not good at all with computers"

that means the sound card is not installed, I do believe the system cd has the sound card files in it.So grab your system cd run it through windows and look for sound drivers or something sounds related and their should be a install file, click on that and see if your sounds comes back in.

OK, let's focus the problem under windows XP. If at the control panel->multimedia devices there is "no audio device" present, and you go to the device manager to see that soundcard drivers are working ok, then 99% chances are that the proxy for the sound service is missing. For installing that proxy there is a way that involves reinstalling the "plug and play sofware devices enumerator". The following link explains how to proceed on Windows XP.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

In my case, what I did is to locate inside my HD the files swenum.inf and swenum.sys, then rightclick the .inf file, and choose install. Maybe windows will request the installation CD for copying some files. You may use the CD or try to locate the requested files that i'm pretty sure they are still inside the HD (but missconfigured from the windows registry, hence the sound failure).

If the problem comes under Windows 9x/ME, (for the last one you might try the solution mentioned above, as ME implements both VXD and WDM driver systems), i'm quite sure that the failure is because of backward compatibility with Windows 3.1. The file SYSTEM.INI got corrupted or/and the following line under "Boot" label is missing:

sound.drv=mmsound.drv