xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Temporary "disabling" Firefox Make it un-usable.

I need help on how to literally disconnect Firefox from the Internet.I know I can use Shaw Secure (firewall) to block it but if I do this, all user profiles will have Firefox blocked from the Internet.I need to block Firefox from the internet in only 1 user account. Therefore I must change something in the Documents and Settings folder for Firefox. Is there something in user.js file that I need to alter?Is it available through about:config?The "network.http..." settings didn't work properly when I set all of them to 0 max connections and disabled keep-alive. I am on broadband right now.Also, if you could tell me how to for Firefox, it will probably work for Mozilla, SeaMonkey and Netscape also. Please also find a way to do this to Opera. I need all the browsers on the computer disabled from Internet except Internet Explorer and Avant Browser.Currently I am using a fake error page created from "chrome://user/defaultstyle.css" but the user has already figured out how to access his Yahoo! and Google home from the address bar history. I cleared the browsing history, saved form information, cookies (except Yahoo! and Google and a few others), cache, authenticated sessions and any thing else through a program called CCleaner. It won't be long until he finds another way to access the Internet from Firefox.I blocked Avant Browser by using a fake error page which seems to work, he is using Internet Explorer right now (that is until he found the address bar history in Firefox).Opera, Netscape and SeaMonkey are still useable. I need to disable them as well. I don't want a fake error page for all the browsers. Opera is particularly tricky to make this happen.Remember: 1 user account only!Could someone please help me?

Basically you are trying to disable this users ability to browse the internet with any browser am I correct?I know that there is a way to control internet rights for specific users, I had never looked into the subject because I had no reason to but I think there is a way to specify port access rights or something of that nature.There is probably a way where you could disable port 80, which is for web pages and you would need to disable the SSL ports as well ( otherwise he could still access his mail which is probably on a secure server ) but I don't know these ports off the top of my head.You could be nasty and completely disable the network drivers on his user account.You could be sly and go into his specific internet settings and tell it to use a random gateway other then your router which would always result into browsers displaying an error page.However from what you have said it seems you are trying to restrict web browsers only?Well you could uninstall all the browsers off his account, and then disable his accounts ability to install anything. ( Windows XP supports having programs installed on only certain accounts ).But you must always fear, where there is a will there is a way.

Set Program Access and Defaults didn't help. The icons were still on the desktop and I don't want to move them from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users to the individual profiles (there are too many).Isn't port 80 purpose is to run a web server? I thought that was disabled by default.I can't uninstall programs on a specific user account. Programs go into the C:\Program Files directory and it is for all users. The start menu shortcuts are also in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.The user account is already limited (can't install programs).By the way, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2. :)

I think i found your solution it took some searching but this should do it.

IE
http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37697

FF
http://www.wikihow.com/Restrict-Web-Browsing-Using-Firefox

Edited by saint-michael (see edit history)

I think i found your solution it took some searching but this should do it.

IE

http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37697

FF

http://www.wikihow.com/Restrict-Web-Browsing-Using-Firefox

Okay, I cannot implement those.

The user has searched all of the Firefox options panel and if I put in that proxy thing he will definately notice it being suspicious and click Direct Connection to Internet.

Also, disabling IE is NOT an option. That applies to all users, not the current user.

Modifying the Windows HOSTS File is also all users, so that can't be done.

Unless you can tell me how to make a proxy to block sites, I need additional help.

Heck if this guy knows what he is doing then why don't use just disable his account altogether, or can he hack is way through that as well. do you have some sort of filtering software, like the school use?My question that seems to be coming out is how is he getting admin access into his account when you have block every attempt at admin level?

Heck if this guy knows what he is doing then why don't use just disable his account altogether, or can he hack is way through that as well. do you have some sort of filtering software, like the school use?
My question that seems to be coming out is how is he getting admin access into his account when you have block every attempt at admin level?

either that the guy have an access to an account that can be an admin or he is in the network with autorithy to modify access for all users..

i have a problem like that before, the place where i work where the system admin have keeps on pestering my access by disabling all ports that i am using.. heck, i am using them for work purposes..

i was on the station and a network admin with stripped access.. the person pestering me was suppose to be much knowledgable but proves empty headed.. reason she shutdown my access is that according to her.. my account resets the access level of a certain network server something i never have access in my entire life..

case this is your setup, a computer which is part of a network.. i detached my computer from the network by resigning from the domain and imposing NTFS security.. i upped 2 firewalls and one of them is zone alarm.

only two accounts have access to admin and everything was disallowed even access to USB and such devices.. though the difference is that i disallow IE in my computer but let Firefox, mozilla and OPERA to get connection..

IE sucks.. Firefox rocks.. same to mozilla and OPERA.. netscape is a turtle.. :)

by the way.. the access is controlled by policy editor and my firewall does the dirty job for the restriction of browsers..

do some research on policy editor.. that can help...

My question is:

If I am applying administrative settings on MY account (as an administrative user), it works for all user accounts. His account is a LIMITED user account. From where do you get that his account is an administrator?

By the way, I think Policy Editor only works on Windows XP Professional Edition.

the way I am reading your posts it's almost saying that when you change the settings he knows about it and changes them right back under account. That means he somehow has admin access to change them. If he doesn't have admin access then he should not be able to change the settings you put in.

Use a sonicwall - its a firewall with content filtering services and black/ white lists. target the websites, and the whole network cant access them.

I found a better way to do this, redirect them to a non-existant proxy server and disable the Options/about:config panel.The only problem now is that he uses Opera!

How about installing a firewall with password protection?ZoneAlarm, I believe because I'm using the corporate version called Integrity Client by TrueVector are the same, has password lock so that you can disable the entire net traffic until the password is entered.ZoneAlarm will be installed in all profiles in your computer. And only the right password for ZoneAlarm will allow you to enable the locked internet connection. It's a thought...

Actually I just installed ZoneAlarm free version after Windows Live OneCare BETA expired.No this is not an option because Internet traffic must go through at all times, I just need to block a (some) browser(s).