xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

I wouldn't imagine it is. 1) totally kill your electric bill if you use a lot of programs2) up the risk of worms or other types of virus' to get on it3) rebooting helps and allows programs you installed to start and sometimes act faster.

I personally always leave my computer on 24/7 and I have a good job *cough* so I dont worry about electric. ( I have no TV BTW im an out door person )I know it kills electric bills and that it heats up the computer alot. So, if you are willing to do it, before you sleep reset pc and when you wake up, turn it off for 20 min while showering to give your pc a rest. ( leave window open, or a fan on near the CPU )You can reduce the risk of worms and viruses by leaving on anti spyware, firewall and a virus scanner and let the programs do a scan between 2am and 4am while you are asleep.. well, depends on WHEN you sleep, lol!

lol very true man. I don't really think the $$$ is an issue but over all it is like.. turn it off sometimes. Any machinery will last longer the less the usage when it doesn't need to be on.

My friend's PC blew up, because of lack of circulation, the computer room door was kept shut all day and he left it on for 5 days straight without giving it a rest. It started a fire, burnt down most of his house, I'm just glad he's safe now.

I have left my computer on for 24/7 for YEARS now. I turn it off once in awhile for things such as vacations, etc., but that is very rare. And I have NEVER had any problems with leaving it on. Just make sure that you don't do something stupid like leave the door of the room shut or break the fans :).One thing that is bad about it is the energy bills. Computers take quite a bit of power to operate, so it costs quite a bit to run it, but I don't have to pay for it so I don't care B).Another thing that could cause problems is that leaving it on reduces the fan life. Fans do have a limited time span for ~50,000 hours (http://www.thermaltake.com/home.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/coolers/volcano/rs/a1725.htm). This is a lot of hours, but I guess it could cause some problems down the road.

Actually, starting up and shutting down your system a lot is much the same as starting and stopping your car engine a lot... the starter burns out faster.Once warmed up, it's better for the electronics to stay that way.Anyway, your computer won't die if you leave it on all the time. And if you're worried about it starting fires, you'll find that most systems have a bios setting that allows you to have it shut down if it hits a certain temperature in the case/processor.Worried about power? Use the power settings. Set it so the moniter turns itself off after half an hour, and the sleep function can put your PC into a low power mode without having the machine shut down.

I'm normally turning it off for the night... The slogan of my computer was "Hear the silence", and the computer should be very silent... But... The noise is like a noisy CD-rom... So I turn it off for the night, else I can't sleep :)

I could imagine it's bad for your computer. But im to lazy to restart the computer and wait for everything to load and I don't pay the bill so I could care less about that. But its running non stop without a break so imagine it's bad for it. It would never get a break.

Basically, it depends on the computer. Some reasons to NOT leave it on all the time are if the situation is: If you're concerned about electricity usage.If the computer gets hot. This can be bad because if you run a load of programs and you can hear your fans roaring, it's a good idea to shut it down or at least put in on standby or hibernate once and a while so it can cool down. This is especially important if you're in a warm environment. Laptops are more likely to get hot quickly. For a desktop that get's hot because of a lot of processes, overclocking, or warm air in the room, it's sometimes a good idea to take the casing off so that it can breathe (unless there's a whole lot of dust in the room).If the room/building is dirty/dusty. Dust and grime will clog the screen for your fan, and if this happens, you're gonna suffer. Usually, air conditioned rooms have cleaner air, but in that case it's also not too hot. If it's not air conditioned, it's more likely to get hot and there's probably more dust. It seems to be a no win situation, but this can depend on other things too. Just make sure your screen and fans are clean and clear so that you don't overheat.<--- Someone please undo that negative point for me :), thanks.

The only good reasons to leave the computer on for 24/7 is if you know that you are running on a stable Operating System such as Linux or any UNIX based OS including MINIX, FreeBSD. If you're running a server using your computer. Don't want to kill your system as fast. Your computer heats up quickly (like my Samsung NV5000 laptop). Reasons not to leave on is:If your OS is unstable as Windows. Easily infiltrated because you don't have a firewall or anitvirus. If your parents don't know that shutting off and turning on a computer takes as much energy to operate. If you're on vacation (except your laptop since you bring it with you). Your batteries are low. Electric company shuts off your power because you spent your money drinking beer or smoking instead and the lamest reason, you hate the fan's whizzing noises.xboxrulz

Hi guys,In general if your going to use the computer periodically during the day , then leave it on. Turn it off when you'r done for the day & give it a rest. This generally optimizes the trade offs between mechanical part wear out (eg. hard drive bearings) on repeated startups and "burnout" of electronic circuitry due to temp buildup. Also, "optimizes" the extra power usage from too frequent reboots.Other considerations mostly all apply to thermal buildup which can best be handled thru improved ventilation, AC, & upgraded cooling system add ons (eg. fans, case mods, H2o coolers etc.)Just my 2 centsRGPHNX

I never leave my computer on longer then i have to. I don't do it for the following reasons:1. It absolutely kills your electricity bill - A PC uses a fair bit of electricity2. It increases the chances of catching anything - you can't catch anything if you are not connected to the internet :)3. I am paranoid about leaving anything turned on if i can't keep a check on it - Just the type of person i amI can't understand personally what is so difficult about turning the PC off, and then turning it back on when you want to use it next.The only time i would leave my PC on overnight is if i was to download a large file, but i hardly ever do, so that should never be a problem for me. B)

I was running an older computer 24/7 with a shoutcast server on it using windows ME....It ran pretty good and all but I wish I used fedora instead, I was too lazy to go and set everything up on linux which takes a while to install things and get everything working....I think that as long as your computer has space to "breathe" and isnt in a highly dusty area, you should be fine with it running, but make sure you check on it every once in a while to make sure it is still working and not locked up.... Right now my computer is off due to it have been locked up for a while and my server not working due to that. Since spring break is so close, I plan on installing fedora or a different linux OS to run smoothly and have more control over it..The only thing I have to figure out is how to change my IP to a static IP in linux and how to get everything running correctly.... My only suggestion is not to use the computer you need to work with because if you run a server and try to do other things on it, you might result in a lock down or super slowness...