xisto Community
djXternal

PHP + (Access OR MySQL): Which Is Better To Use?

Well I'm just starting to get back into web design and I need to create some pages that use databases, I know I used to have two different ways of accessing databases through pages. One was using PHP to use a microsoft access database and then I also used mysql.My question is before I go back and relearn everything, which method is best to use?

Mysql and Postgre Databases are Open Source and available on the majority of Hosting services, so my reccomendation would be to use one of them. MS Access is proprietary and may not be available on any new installations where your code is placed. Just an opinion from another cheap webmaster.

Well I'm just starting to get back into web design and I need to create some pages that use databases, I know I used to have two different ways of accessing databases through pages. One was using PHP to use a microsoft access database and then I also used mysql.
My question is before I go back and relearn everything, which method is best to use?

Main thing here, I think, is to have efficient database. MySQL is the best one in my opinion, because it's open source. now, it depends on few things. 1st, what web application are you going to develop? in other words, how heavy would be your database? MySQL is good for any kind of database but it is not that good as Oracle is. if you can compromise on few functions then yes MySQL is a not bad option.

Secondly, the environment is very very important for the proper functionality of your database. MySQL'll work great on a Linux server. Keep onething in mind that MySQL is an opensource project and it was mainly designed for Linux. So, it deos work good on a windows server as well but again, as I say all the time, "Microsoft is homeless. They have built only one home for them and i.e. Windows. No other home is their shelter and they know this." So, If windows is finished, microsoft is finished, because this is all that what they know.

Long story short, main point here is, MS SQL is better on a windows environment, if you can buy license, otherwise, MySQL is best, on linux anyway but on windows? not bad at all.....

For your front end, yes! everybody's right, PHP is the best opensource invention in the world. So keep on it and best of luck for your coming back to web development.

Main thing here, I think, is to have efficient database. MySQL is the best one in my opinion, because it's open source. now, it depends on few things. 1st, what web application are you going to develop? in other words, how heavy would be your database? MySQL is good for any kind of database but it is not that good as Oracle is. if you can compromise on few functions then yes MySQL is a not bad option.
Secondly, the environment is very very important for the proper functionality of your database. MySQL'll work great on a Linux server. Keep onething in mind that MySQL is an opensource project and it was mainly designed for Linux. So, it deos work good on a windows server as well but again, as I say all the time, "Microsoft is homeless. They have built only one home for them and i.e. Windows. No other home is their shelter and they know this." So, If windows is finished, microsoft is finished, because this is all that what they know.

Long story short, main point here is, MS SQL is better on a windows environment, if you can buy license, otherwise, MySQL is best, on linux anyway but on windows? not bad at all.....

For your front end, yes! everybody's right, PHP is the best opensource invention in the world. So keep on it and best of luck for your coming back to web development.

thanks for the help, I thought mysql would be my best option, the databases will be simple. They are mainly just used so my site can have a sort of image database and list of articles, I just remember writing one php application to list things from a database is so much easier then changing the HTML everytime I have something new

Well I'm just starting to get back into web design and I need to create some pages that use databases, I know I used to have two different ways of accessing databases through pages. One was using PHP to use a microsoft access database and then I also used mysql.

My question is before I go back and relearn everything, which method is best to use?

Well, for me MySql is better than ms access and i recommend you to use it, some reasons why:

Is open soUrce

More stable

Much easy to learn

Lot of support

The space of your databases are smaller, etc.

Best regards,

Well, for me MySql is better than ms access and i recommend you to use it, some reasons why:

Is open soUrce

More stable

Much easy to learn

Lot of support

The space of your databases are smaller, etc.

Best regards,

Ok thanks, Well it looks like its time to start relearning everything, and that is never a fun process

Hi there,

Well theres a lot of good stuff out there to help you learn more about MySQL ..the MySQL site itself is a good place to start..

I have used these sites in the past to help me along..

This is a good site for users new to MySQL
MYSQL Help

And this site is great for more indepth stuff-look at the navpanel on the left for a list of other languages that they can help with..its very extensive!!
MySQL Help2

I have also got a couple of SAMS books on PHP and MySQL and I would recommend them cos you can read em anywhere..but to be honest apart from the workable code samples and practice databases that come on the disc theres nothing in the books thats not free out here on the net..and a lot of sites u can download samples and databases for use with their tutorials..

Hope this helps you out,

Marky;)

I am not good with databases and such. I'm learning PHP right now, haven't got to the database aspect of it but I really recommend MySQL.MySQL is an open-source database system that is based on SQL (Server Query Language). Also, a lot of complex applications such as Drupal and Joomla require the MySQL database system.PostgreSQL is also a good alternative to use. I know that some applications are compatible with PostgreSQL but not a lot.Microsoft Access databases are quite confusing and time-consuming to understand and use. I don't recommend them at all.Remember, I know too little about databases to give an informed opinion, these are just my thoughts.

I have used these sites in the past to help me along..

This is a good site for users new to MySQL

MYSQL Help

And this site is great for more indepth stuff-look at the navpanel on the left for a list of other languages that they can help with..its very extensive!!

MySQL Help2

Marky;)

Thanks for the links, very useful both of them and i just bookmark for future references.

Best regards,