xisto Community
torres1287

Help, My Laptop Charger Is Not Working Properly

I have a HP Pavilion laptop. I bought it about 2-3 years ago. I try to plug in the charger end to my laptop and it does not start charging. I can take the back off of it, plug the charger in, and it works fine. I think that something is pushing back (in the laptop) and causing the connections not to touch. I would fix it myself, but I would have to take a lot of my laptop apart just to fix it. I do not feel comfortable doing that myself.My questions are: What is your suggestion to fix this?Has anyone else experienced this problem?If I took it to someone, how long do you think it would take for them to fix it (given that I am right)?If I took it to someone, how much money do you think I would have to pay?Thanks for all your help!Have a great day everyone!

I am in college and I use my laptop every single hour of the day (except those oh so few hours of sleep). I might call HP and ask them how long they think it would take to fix it. If it would take a couple of days, then I would send it over the upcoming Thanksgiving break. If it took longer than that, I would have to wait until Christmas. >_<I know I would get charged a lot because there was only a one year warranty. :P That creates a problem because college sucked up all my money. (LOL)If there's any more suggestions/comments/etc at all, send them my way. :P Thanks for all your help!Have a great day everyone!

It may not be the physical plug-in which is the problem. On my laptop, it seems that the cord end near the computer gets 'comfortable' in one position and the cord develops a 'curve' in it and sometimes doesn't charge, so I am suspicious of a there being a short or 'lack of continuity' in the cord itself, maybe?I regularly re-shape that end and try to not let the 'curve' develop and it seems to allow the connection to be more consistent and then I have less trouble.Nothing worse than anticipating a full battery only to have the power monitor yapping at you.Most 'techie' types should be able to help you diagnose this problem with a voltage tester or some other gizmo they enjoy playing with. A new charger can't be all that much if it is required. As I remember my College days, it should be worth around 2 or 3 nights in a Club, only.

There are two parts to my charger. 1- Plug to charger box2- Charger box to computerI guess the box is a power converter or something of some type. I am getting power to the box and the charger end that plugs into the laptop.I have no clue how much it costs to go clubbing. (LOL) I live a sheltered life. :-)

Any Switching Mode Power Supply where from you can obtain 18.5Volts and at least 4-6Amps will do the task. These are the common parameters for Laptop Power Supplies. Many SMPS supplies need some load attached at output when starting up, otherwise they won't boot at all. Some SMPS show this behaviour while they're aging, because parameters of some electronic components (such as capacitors) vary slightly over the time. Two options, try to identify the iffy component and do some surgeon for replacement, or a much better opt, get a new SMPS as they are not as expensive.

Did you manage to solve the problem?I am having a similar problem and am convinced that it is a mechanical problem - the power jack is not connecting properly to the machine. If I fiddle around every now and then I get a connection but it isn't reliable and the actual socket connector that plugs into the laptop gets very hot (surely this is not safe?). Anyone know what this might be or how to fix it? has it ever happened to anyone else before. My laptop is a fugitsu seamens amelio, had it bout to and a half years now.

Hi I got a sony vaio like 3 years ago now when I try to turn it on it wont turn on but if I plug the charger in and out it works but I have to keep the charger in all the time and it doesnt charge. My bro has a vaio asswell and we tryed his batery and charger and same thing happend. Is there a solution to this problem?, please help guys.Kimo-reply by kimo

dell laptop charger

Ok so I got this charger. I just go it on the web and just got it like 3 days ago and it worked fine.

Then I go to unplug the charger and move it and plug it into another plug and it doesnt work. But it was working fine.

Does any body have any sugegestions? or something?

-question by jordan

Replying to torres1287Your model is prone to the Power Jack fault.99% of the time this will be the case.Have a look on my Diagnostics page.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to see if this is your problem.If you live in UK I can do a very good repair for you and very cheap.You also get a no quibble 6 Months warranty. The Sad thing is:HP will insist on changing the Motherboard for a silly �4-8 part.(Probably cost them a lot less) and they will charge you a lot.So much so that it would be cheaper to buy a new Laptop all together.Your replacement board would probably have the same flaw and you will have the same problem 3 months to a year or so down the line.I don't recomend you open the laptop unless you know what you are doing. For this reason I created a general Repair DVD Video that shows the techniques and hints with tips how to organise screws and layers. You can find details at the web address above.-reply by Colin

same thing for me

I have an HP pavilion dv8000 and when I plug in the charger, it doesnt charge. Sometimes when I keep replugging it in it will work for a short while but then it wont, I have no idea what the problem is =(

-reply by noone

help my acer7520 charger is not working

I've plugged in my charger, the light is on but the bit that connects itself frm the charger to the laptop seems to hvae something wrong with it. I've had it for nearly a year now and it's doing my head in, it's the second time now and I don't want to have to pay loads of money to get the charger fixed.

At the moment I'm trying to move that bit you plug into the laptop around it's working sort of but if I move my laptop again it will lose it's charging connection if you no what I mean,

Help please!!

-question by kitkat