xisto Community
Vyoma

Can The Influx Of Traffic From Digg.com Cause Problems? With the Adsense account that is?

I have recently mentioned about the random name generator I created else where. And then, I submit this page to Digg.com because I just wanted to see how is the crowd there with respect to this. Well, I get 'dugg' about 2 times and there are several visitors in the past 2 hours.Then I remembered reading somewhere that having a lot of Digg.com traffic into your site could cause a problem with the Adsense Account. I would like to know if any of you who has been using Adsense account has been given any warning from Google on this? Or do you know of anyone who has got such warning or has been banned?

Well, if you do find that there is a problem because of traffic from that site, you can block or redirect traffic from that domain!

Add to your .htaccess file:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} (digg\.com) [NC,OR]RewriteRule .* - [F]

That will effectively block and visiter coming from dig.com.

I think that is all you really need but if you need more, try: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

vujsa

Well, that is a very useful information ther vujsa. For this particular case though, I do not think I will need that because I can always un-'digg' it. But if it was 'dugg' by someone else then I can use this trick that you showed.Thank you. :P

I've never heard of digg.com causing problems for Adsense accounts. But there is a massive impact on the servers your website is hosted on, if you get on the front page of digg. Known as the Digg Effect to people who use digg.com, to many connections in such a small amount of time, really tests the efficiency of your code, but normally websites go down because they run out of bandwidth.But just think, more visitors means a greater number of 'clicks' and thats what you want when you run a website with Adsense.

Thanks for that information Kyro. It was just that I was worried the sudden influx of traffic would result in the flagging of my site by the Google Adsense algorithm. I believe it is not just the IP address and such things that they keep track of with their alogrithm to preven fraud - they must be running some analysis on the traffic gradients and such higher derivative values that clearly put some suspicious activity in the open.But if it has not been flagged and warned earlier, then I think it is safe. And yes Kyro, :P, more traffic means more visitors - that means more eyeballs - and hopefully that would mean more clicks. Hope I can make a few dollars out of this Digg Effect. (Thanks for introducing that term too).

I think the "digg effect" will be based on your content I have seen some saying that the server load was really high..but some told that it is not very impressive OR up to the hype.My blog was once featured in a digg entry and I got some 1000 visitors I think it was a good traffic(IMO).

Yeah. What one thinks as a good traffic, I think it is very relative. It is relative to the person and the actual amount of bandwidth load the server can take. I always stay well below the 1 GB mark here at Xisto where it gives us 5 GB, and so I think I have got a well enough buffer.A update though... I have had really good traffic though and because of that my Google Adsense revenue has gone up a little bit. Not that I was making a great amount earlier, but it seems to have already gone above the usual monthly amount I used to make for past few months.And knight17, I think you are right about the content. I had had another article of mine 'dugg' there earlier and it had not attracted much traffic. But this random name generator that I coded and put up at my site, really seems to be in demand and I am getting hits from both Digg and Google name generator specific search keywords.