xisto Community
unimatrix

Just Bought A 1tb Drive

Okay, so technically it's two 500MB drives, but I just got the myBook external HDD by Western Digital and I'm impressed. You have the option of using the unit as a single 1TB drive or in a RAID configuration for $500. I couldn't believe it was only $500. Since I do videos for people and have 4 - 6 projects at anyone time, I needed the extra space and I needed external with firewire. Why? Well I'll copy the files to one computer, let it be rendering a Final Cut Pro project and then go to my other editing machine and work on another project, let it render, and then go to my laptop and do billing/accounting and other stuff. The Raid is a nice option too if your looking for a triple redundant failsafe backup solution as well.

Wow, 1 terabyte! I can't imagine what to do with that much space. Of course, it would mean that I would not have to delete anything any more, but I still do not know whether I could fill 1,000 gigabytes. That is not to say that I will not invest in a terabyte drive in the future. I'll just have to wait for the prices to drop a bit.It's interesting to note how hard drive space used to be so small and expensive. Nowadays, companies dish our megabytes and gigabytes like pennies.

Technically it's 1,024GBs. :PAnyways, I think that for me such a large amount of storage space will be catastrophic. I have a habit of not deleting anything, but then when the time comes (actually, it came a few days ago) when I have no more room left I scan my hard drive and delete everything I don't need. Actually, I usually just delete some old games I've downloaded so I have enough room to live.. but that's not the point! The point is that I usually come upon old treasures, and other nostalgic things, loitering around on the infinite dimensions of my directory array. Some thing I would've forgotten otherwise. Then when I find something interesting I move it around so it is more accessible, and I put it in a place where I will know it's there. Not needing to ever make room would just leave me with a total mess. Try cleaning up a 1TB hard drive full of old Word documents. I'd much rather format and risk losing something that I might have liked to see.

Okay, so technically it's two 500MB drives, but I just got the myBook external HDD by Western Digital and I'm impressed. You have the option of using the unit as a single 1TB drive or in a RAID configuration for $500. I couldn't believe it was only $500. Since I do videos for people and have 4 - 6 projects at anyone time, I needed the extra space and I needed external with firewire. Why? Well I'll copy the files to one computer, let it be rendering a Final Cut Pro project and then go to my other editing machine and work on another project, let it render, and then go to my laptop and do billing/accounting and other stuff.
The Raid is a nice option too if your looking for a triple redundant failsafe backup solution as well.

Okay I'm drooling with envy. I only have about 720 G between three drives.

That so turns me on.:P kiddingbut WOW I can't imagine using that much. I only have music files, basically... so, it's really not that much space. I could use a nice 100 GB drive, though.

It's been a month and I've already occupied at least 1/4 of my hardrive, its mainly music files, tons of word/powerpoints that I've collected throughout the school year, many many many games and a plump helping of my little Photoshop and site-design projects. I can't find what to do with a terabyte though. As seec77 has pointed out, I'm very much the dump-and-go type. I do have some kind of organization (my friends would deny this :P ) but admittedly, i usually end up dumping stuff everywhere on my desktop and i usually clean it up by the end of the year, then the cycle starts again.

Not very amusing i know, but it works and its often nice to reconcilate with old stuff.

I couldn't believe it was only $500.
The Raid is a nice option too if your looking for a triple redundant failsafe backup solution as well.

hmm.. i have half of space you got..
but space for a terabyte or more is cheaper here..

520 Gig space for HDD is around $110 each for IDE
same size for SATA is around $150 each..

I have a RAID capable motherboard and 3 SATA SLOTS for RAID..
guess I can reach that with motherboard/RAID card included for less than $500

what cost here alot are OS licenses.. they sky rocketed few years when we
have inflation rates for our money..

we dont manufacture Win OS.. Just Ubuntu builds and Nix's flavors..

include on the Nix OS the full range of trend micro antivirus mandarin version..
and we dont even understand mandarin.. LOL..

However, this is external. I can use it between my 3 towers, several Mac Mini's, and laptops to move large video projects around on one drive, plus I can take it with me on trips if I needed too as well. Again you pay for portablity.

Technically it's 1,024GBs. :P

I believe it depends on which system of measurement one uses. The Systeme Internal d'Unites would define a terabyte as being exactly 1,000 gigabytes, as opposed to the classic definition of 2^40 bytes. Some hard drive manufacturers may have also converted to this system of measurement. Let's just say, we are both right. :P
Edited by webintern (see edit history)

I believe it depends on which system of measurement one uses. The Systeme Internal d'Unites would define a terabyte as being exactly 1,000 gigabytes, as opposed to the classic definition of 2^40 bytes. Some hard drive manufacturers may have also converted to this system of measurement. Let's just say, we are both right. :P

Technically, if you're an A+ technician or about to become an A+ technician, 1024 gigabytes is 1 terrabyte. 1024 KB is 1 MB, and so on.

[N]F

Cool. 1TB of hard disk space? I really don't now what to do with it, if I buy one... Here we are still quite happy with 120GB- 160GB hard disks....(We get them here at 100$).

Anyway I feel that paying $500 for 1TB of hard disk is worth it. It was a cool deal.

As par as what a TB means, I think is is 1024GB and I don't think any HDD manufacturer is deviating away from it. Simply because we still use binary system and whille addressing memory, we'd still be using binary numbers. Whay all the hasle of changing to decimal? (It brings more complexity to the hardware addressing and unnecessarily addresses get wasted.)

For example, 2^10=1024. Assume that we have 10bits allocated for addressing. I can adentify 1024 different, unique address locations using this Addressing configuration. If I say I'll only have 1000 memory locations, unnecessarily I'm wasting 24 addressing possibilities! (The same will replicate itself. Like 1024 bytes is 1KB- technically. If you make that 1000, then right from these minute locations you're wasting addressing ability all the way till 1TB. )

webintern, if you've come across any HDD manufacturer who has shifted from convention 2^xx addressing, let me nknow of the link. I'll be etremely surprised if anyone has shifted. (That's not a wise move :P

As far as my knowledge goes, I must confess seec77 os right in saying 1TB=1024GB since we are talking about HDDs here.

However, this is external. I can use it between my 3 towers, several Mac Mini's, and laptops to move large video projects around on one drive, plus I can take it with me on trips if I needed too as well. Again you pay for portablity.

External drive here for 1 tera solid is around $350 each..
the case dont look nice since it is a little bulky.. it have 3 chasis fans and operate on 110 power

guess what.. we manufacture them for japan market.. when we buy them back they cost around $550
a $200 increase.. still we can have this locally at $350

we have an available model here for around $450-$580 or sumthin with a nicer box chasis and 240 volt power and a standby of 10mins power

------------------

having two 500gb harddrives external cost much here.. it is $280 a piece.. but the chasis is sleeker and slimmer.. if we add it up.. your stock is much cheaper..

------------------

both can be attached in a raid fashion or as external USB drives..

1 terabyte!!!! WOW! what are trying to put in there buddy!I previously had a 40 GB Hard drive and recently added another 80 GB. And I cannot seem to fill it up. It covers all my needs1 terabyte!! WOW

If you do a lot of rendering works, you will need a very big storage.It will be increased when you connect a camera (such as CCTV in banks) to your computer and record everything. 1TB will be insufficient.For me 300GB (that's what I have) is too much, until now I only use 30% of it :rolleyes: