xisto Community
FunDa

Blue Screen - irql_not_less_or_equal computer OS Windows problem booting

Hi ,

My computer AMD64 256mb RAM / 80GB HDD / Windows XP Professional

recently started showing a blue screen while starting ..

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer .
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

(blah blah blah ... )

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (oxFB07D354, ox000000FF, ox00000001, ox804E2E41)

Initially, if I restarted it would not come the next time. It used to come only randomly.

But later it started coming more often, and now it did not start for quite a few times consecutively.

Anybody knows what this is and how to solve it ?
(Other than formatting ...)

Please :P

HI,Without seeing the full statement I would suggest that this is probably a hardware error of some sort..haev you installed something new recently? updated a driver recently?Or it could be a dreaded memory problem;(Paste the full msg your getting into here and I will track down what the problem is.. Marky

There are two ways of thinking.1) You suppose that it's a software problem. Let's see if it's a real software problem. Try to boot several times from a ms-dos disquette, or on a Knoppix Linux CD. If you have no problem with ms-dos or with Knoppix, this means that your Windows has a problem and has to be repaired (several solutions, we will see furtherly).2) Let's suppose there is a hardware problem. I suspect a newly added device which really has a bad IRQ.Then, I would suggest to open the box, and remove everything not mandatory(only leave the disks, CD's, keyboard, video adapter and that's all). Try powering up several times.If you have no problem with the vary basic configuration, add one device (let's say Ethernet adapter) and try again. If this still works, add another adapter (let's say the USB mouse). and try again. Untill you see the problem ocuring again, then remove the last added device, you found the faulty device.

I've had that error three times tonight, but I've been on now about 15 minutes fine. I havn't added anything reccently, but I'll probably do a virus scan overnight. Also, I couldn't seem to get the option to boot into Safe Mode.

it seems like it IS a hardware failure.

According to this post, it says that it is commonly caused by overheating hardware or crappy RAM: http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/irql_not_less_or_equal/

This post is from Microsoft Technet about every single BSOD errors you might have:

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error is caused by a buggy device driver or an actual hardware conflict. If you've recently added new hardware to your system, try removing it and see if the error goes away. Likewise, if you've recently loaded a new device driver, you might try using ERD Commander Professional Edition, by Winternals Software, to temporarily disable the new driver and see if the problem goes away.

xboxrulz

Yeah, I left the computer on overnight to do a virus scan and my mum could smell very faint burning smell, and it only has 384mb RAM. Is the best option to personally clean out the fan? Or to buy a RAM stick?Bugger, thanks.

Edited by toby (see edit history)

check that your fan isn't clogged by dust, make sure your PSW and the rest of your chassis have good ventilation and most of all, be sure to know where the burning is coming from.Also, check that your RAM are exactly the same. For example, don't put a PC2100 RAM with a PC3200!!!xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

I had the exact same problem with my AMD 64 system, right down to the faint burning smell. It used to be an intermittent issue but is now consistent. I have tried removing everything except PSU, HD, MOBO\CPU, and Video Card..still occurs.Back when it was intermittent I ran an extended Windows Memory Diag and it found no problems. In the BIOS it shows CPU temp as 41 C.

Edited by mark101 (see edit history)

^ I have encountered this error before. My problem started when I installed a software then immediately used it without restarting my PC. What's worse is my PC just restarts randomly. I disassembled my PC, cleaned up the peripherals (CPU fan, power supply, cards, etc) but I'm still getting the error. So I just uninstalled, re-installed then restarted my PC. Since then my PC worked fine. I think you should trace when the problem started. Most likely this problem is a result of newly installed hardware/software.

I had the same problem when I tried to connect 1 'SATA' & 1 'PATA' HDD in my system.First time it work, I accessed all the Hardrives @ the same time but after two or three re-boot... My system got hanged & the same problem occured with Blue screen. because of tht I lost my 5.1 Inbuilt audio output.==> The only solution for such problem is do not connect any such Hardware which is not supported by your motherbord...==> secondly try to update Your system Drivers frequently.

I am getting this error msg too. 1st It can be because RAM isn't compatible with your Graphics card (yes thats possible) and all you need to do is to set the right voltage for RAM (if you manage to know to which value you must set it.)2nd Drivers (for your graphics card Bet you have ati or nvidia)3rd Here's link to an old tread it lists many possible thing you can do to stop it. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ CAREFULLY because not all errors are the same, so don't do something that you don't need to do. ex. Error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL happens when trying to SHUT DOWN.-Sorrow

Blue Screen/irql_Not_Less_Equal

Blue Screen - irql_not_less_or_equal

Hi Everyone.

I'm 36 don't know much on computers. My Moms bought me a Dell XPS 600 in late 2006. I hardly use it On Jan 8, 2008 At 5am. I got that blue screen less equal also. Maybe I need a update? A little help. Thanks. Mike.

-Anthony, Mike.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem

Blue Screen - irql_not_less_or_equal

I just got this new laptop, dell 1520 inspiron, got it yesterday, it had vista home installed and I tried upgrading to ultimate, at first I had hell but I googles and found I had to change from ahcp to ata, that was minor. Now the problem I'm haveing is I get the BSOD everytime I turn on the laptop, with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error, it then restarts and boots up and works ok. On the second boot it works like brand new, but the having to wait for a second boot isn't very entertaining, can someone help please?

-Charmz

Replying to FeedbackerI got it too... And after looking through all this I found that "Bank 0" Temp. Is 120 degrees C... Bad RAM?SiSoftware SandraSystem ChassisManufacturer : Dell Inc.Type : PortableCan be locked : NoSerial Number : JNWMBF1Boot-up State : SafePower State : SafeThermal State : SafeSecurity State : External Interface Locked-outMainboardPlatform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile TechnologyManufacturer : Dell Inc.Multi-Processor (MP) Support : NoModel : 0KY768Serial Number : .JNWMBF1.CN486437BG3442.On-board DevicesNB8M-GS : Video Adapter (Enabled)Sigmatel 9205 : Sound Adapter (Enabled)System Memory ControllerLocation : MainboardError Correction Capability : NoneNumber of Memory Slots : 2Maximum Installable Memory : 4GBBank 1 - DIMM_A : Samsung M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6 8317FD6A 450744 DIMM Synchronous DDR 1GB/64 @ 667MHzBank 2 - DIMM_B : Samsung M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6 8317FD7F 450744 DIMM Synchronous DDR 1GB/64 @ 667MHzChipset 1Model : Dell Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Express Processor to DRAM ControllerRevision : A13Bus : Intel AGTL+Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 166MHz (664MHz)Maximum FSB Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)Width : 64-bitI/O Queue Depth : 12 request(s)Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 5.19GB/sChipset 1 Hub InterfaceType : DMI (Direct Media Interface)Version : 1.00Number of Ports : 4In/Out Width : 4-bit / 4-bitMultiplier : 3/1xSpeed : 1x 100MHz (100MHz)Logical/Chipset 1 Memory BanksBank 0 : 512MB DDR2 5.0-5-5-15 CR1Bank 0 Temperature : 120.00�CBank 1 : 512MB DDR2 5.0-5-5-15 CR1Bank 4 : 512MB DDR2 5.0-5-5-15 CR1Bank 5 : 512MB DDR2 5.0-5-5-15 CR1Maximum Installable Memory : 4GBSupported Memory Types : DDR2Channels : 2Memory Bus Speed : 2x 332MHz (664MHz)Maximum Memory Speed : 2x 333MHz (666MHz)Multiplier : 2/1xWidth : 64-bitMemory Controller in Processor : NoPerformance Acceleration Technology : NoRefresh Rate : 7.80�sPower Save Mode : NoFixed Hole Present : NoMaximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 10.38GB/sAPIC 1Version : 2.00Multiplier : 1/2xMaximum Interrupts : 24IRQ Handler Engaged : YesEnhanced Support : YesMemory Module 1Manufacturer : SamsungModel : M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6Serial Number : 8317FD6AType : 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMMTechnology : 16x(64Mx8)Speed : PC2-5300U DDR2-333Standard Timings : 5.0-5-5-15Version : 1.2Date of Manufacture : April-14-08Memory DC Line : 1.80VSet Timing @ 333MHz : 5.0-5-5-15Set Timing @ 267MHz : 4.0-4-4-12Set Timing @ 200MHz : 3.0-3-3-9Memory Module 2Manufacturer : SamsungModel : M4 70T2953EZ3-CE6Serial Number : 8317FD7FType : 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMMTechnology : 16x(64Mx8)Speed : PC2-5300U DDR2-333Standard Timings : 5.0-5-5-15Version : 1.2Date of Manufacture : April-14-08Memory DC Line : 1.80VSet Timing @ 333MHz : 5.0-5-5-15Set Timing @ 267MHz : 4.0-4-4-12Set Timing @ 200MHz : 3.0-3-3-9Environment Monitor 1Model : Intel Core CPU [P1, C2, M1]Version : 15.13Mainboard Specific Support : NoTemperature Sensor(s)CPU Temperature : 45.00�C tdPCI Bus(es) on Hub 1Version : 2.30Number of Bridges : 5PCI Bus 0 : PCI (1/1x PCIClk)PCI Bus 1 : PCIe (3/1x PCIClk)PCI Bus 3 : PCI (1/1x PCIClk)PCI Bus 11 : PCIe (3/1x PCIClk)PCI Bus 12 : PCIe (3/1x PCIClk)PCI Bus 13 : PCIe (3/1x PCIClk)Number of PCIe Lanes : 19LPC Hub Controller 1Model : Dell ICH8M-E (ICH8 Family) LPC Interface ControllerRevision : A3ACPI Power Management Enabled : YesAdvanced TCO Mode Support : YesAdvanced TCO Mode Enabled : NoHigh Precision Timer Enabled : YesNumber of Precision Timers : 3System Timer : 14.32MHzDelayed Transaction Enabled : YesLPC Hub Controller 2Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus ControllerRevision : A3LPC Legacy Controller 1Type : SMSC LPC v1Version : 32.01Number of Enabled Devices : 5USB Controller 1Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #4Revision : A3Version : 1.10Interface : UHCIChannels : 2Speed : 48MHzSupported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) Legacy Emulation Enabled : NoUSB Controller 2Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #5Revision : A3Version : 1.10Interface : UHCIChannels : 2Speed : 48MHzSupported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) Legacy Emulation Enabled : NoUSB Controller 3Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #2Revision : A3Version : 2.00Specification : 1.00Interface : EHCIChannels : 4Companion Controllers : 2Supported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) High (480Mbps) Addressing Support : 64-bitLegacy Emulation Enabled : NoUSB Controller 4Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #1Revision : A3Version : 1.10Interface : UHCIChannels : 2Speed : 48MHzSupported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) Legacy Emulation Enabled : NoUSB Controller 5Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #2Revision : A3Version : 1.10Interface : UHCIChannels : 2Speed : 48MHzSupported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) Legacy Emulation Enabled : NoUSB Controller 6Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI #3Revision : A3Version : 1.10Interface : UHCIChannels : 2Speed : 48MHzSupported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) Legacy Emulation Enabled : NoUSB Controller 7Model : Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI #1Revision : A3Version : 2.00Specification : 1.00Interface : EHCIChannels : 6Companion Controllers : 3Supported Speed(s) : Low (1.5Mbps) Full (12Mbps) High (480Mbps) Addressing Support : 64-bitLegacy Emulation Enabled : NoFireWire/1394 Controller 1Model : Dell R5C832 IEEE-1394 ControllerRevision : A6Version : 1.10Interface : OHCIEnhanced Support : YesChannels : 64Speed : 400MHzSystem SMBus Controller 1Model : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBusVersion : 0.02Specification : 2.00Advanced TCO Mode Enabled : YesSlave Device Enabled : YesPEC Support : YesSpeed : 100kHzPort Connector(s)USB : USB / USBMONITOR : Video / DB-15 pin femaleFireWire : FireWire/1394Modem : Modem / RJ-11Ethernet : Network / RJ-45Performance TipsNotice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.Warning 2507 : Mainboard has too few memory slots. Upgrading the memory may be difficult or expensive.Warning 2508 : All memory slots are full. Upgrading the memory may be difficult or expensive.Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.-reply by shaun