xisto Community
Vyoma

Which Wiki Software Do You Use?

Does anyone have a Wiki on their site? If they do, which one do you use?I was looking at the two in Fantastico, and it offered TikiWiki and PHPWiki. The TikiWiki had a whooping footprint of 43 MB. I do not want to let go of my Xisto account webspace just for some code most of which I would not be using.The other phpWiki though, seemed to be smaller.I will not be using any other language other than English, and basic Wiki features are only required. I would prefer a wiki software that has a smaller footprint - anywhere around 1 MB to 6 MB.

I also had a similar question a while back, but I guess the thread or question did not garner enough interest to be answered. I have been interested in setting up a wiki, not as the main purpose of the site, but as a complimentary feature. I looked into TikiWiki and phpWiki, and was not too impressed ... or, I mean, they did not satisfy the particular criteria I drafted for my future site.I then thought of MediaWiki, since it was the wiki engine for Wikipedia. It seemed to offer a reasonable amount of functionality that suited my interests. If I recall correctly, its base footprint was not too large either. It may have been around 10+ MB (please don't quote me on that). I have not yet installed it here though, so I cannot vouch for it or for how it works on Xisto.As a side note, an interesting site for previewing and testing web portal engines, blogging software, wikis, forums, and similar content management systems is opensourcecms.com.

Thanks for that heads up webintern. I will go and look into Media Wiki. Bad that it cannot be installed through Fantastico - it would have saved the hassle. Anyway, I can install it manually, I suppose.

I always say that it's best to install all software manually. What's more, MediaWiki isn't hard to install - I'm using it myself. However, it might be a bit hard to administrate, because there doesn't seem to be an admin panel :P

I just installed DokuWiki. I did not like the features and look of Media Wiki that much. I like DokuWiki on the other hand. The footprint is just some 10MB odd, and it does not need a MySQL database either. But it does take a lot of time to FTP Upload it to the server because it is spread around in several files.

Well, I tried DokuWiki at first, but didn't like the design :P By the way, will you be using it for WiseTome or something else?

Well, I tried DokuWiki at first, but didn't like the design :P By the way, will you be using it for WiseTome or something else?

I think I can skin it the way I want, went through the CSS and it seems pretty fine to me. Pretty extensive, but I think it should be possible.

Where am I going to use it? Well, you see, I have this RPG forum, that requires all the Lore and Legends to be written and put up somewhere for the players to easily refer. As a placeholder, I have presently put it up in a blog: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - Powered by WordPress engine.

Now, I am thinking of shifting to a Wiki, because techinically, the content I want to put is a 'documentation' and Wikis are meant for that. Blog engines on the other hand, would be suitable for chronological data or journalling.

This particular set of site, I have placed it under the banner of WiseTome.com but in a way, the forum and the wiki site would be standalone. No userbase sharing, that is.

I think that for a purpose of a content management... a content management system should be used. Many CMS packages (such as Drupal, :P) are able to handle Wiki-type user interaction. The difference is, CMSs emphasize the point of content management, whereas Wikis delve more deeply into Wiki philosophies. I might have misunderstood the objective for your site, but to me it seems as if you are trying to develop an information repository that can be edited by users, not a Wiki that will contain some information. It is principally a matter of labeling, but knowing what you are trying to do can sometimes make organizing large projects easier.

Ah, my co-admin of my site WiseTome.com, seec77, I truly do know how good a CMS can be. You must know that I do use Drupal, and here around the Xisto forums, I am almost labeled as a Drupal fanatic. Now, coming to my purpose. Yes, Drupal, very well can accomodate for my requirement, but I just want to try out a Wiki. I have a very strong inkling, that at present, the way I have been achieving it with Wordpress engine, does not fit in. Just check out the blog: wisetome.com/cao/

There in, the categories section, you will notice the following items: Lore, Resources, etc... These are basically, literature driven. It would be the basis for a forum RPG, I have just started at: wisetome.com/caorpg/

It requires all sorts of write ups, that would need constant editing in the begining, and a Wiki cycle is much easier for me to manage - or that is what I think. Drupal, would definetly workout very well - I just thought Wiki would be easier. Now, if I were to go for the Drupal solution that you have stated, I know there is a technique called multi site setup, but I am just not sure how I would be able to do that. If you have any links on those, please do give me, as I would like to analyze that as well.