xisto Community
CrazyPensil

Teach Me English=) Lets just talk here...

First of all, thank u 4 that u entered this topic;)I've created it just to get some practice of English(mostly slang).Let me tell my story first...I'm a russian guy of 15 years old. I was born in St.Petersburg in a poor family and my life was desaturated with all those stuff that most of others had, such as cool toys etc.Years passed, and i attended to a local school. By that time my dad has died, but also, strangely, we got rid of the money problem....After 7 years, i passed the exams to an international lycee, funded by a famous turkish firm called 'Tolerance'. There i've learned english, made a plenty of friends etc. I'm studying here for 3rd year already. Through the uneasy years, i got over a lot of promlems etc... Now i'm quite good at programming, turkish and in english(4 russia it's good enough). I started out this topic 'cause i wanna improve my english as much as it's possible... wanna learn all those daily-speech expressions, slang, a lot of phrasal verbs etc.What i want from you all is:1) read my messages and point me my mistakes(of course, the correct way of writing should be told too)2) write here too, trying to use high english, of course=). So now, i ask all the people read this, to write their own story... if you do, wait for questions;]With the best wishes, from russia)

Edited by CrazyPensil (see edit history)

You seem to be much better in english than me. I live in Serbia, and I only learned english in school. I am able to remeber new words quickly but my grammar sucks.I want to ask you something about Turkish. What does word "bre" means? We often use this word in conversation, we inherited it from Turks, but it has no particular meaning and cannot be translated to another language.

For those of us who's first language is english we'll try to help.

Your language in your post is obviously quite good. But in forums it's often hard to tell if someone's grammar is poor, or if they are just typing quicker than they can think (and then don't proof.)

I'll comment on one phrase:

my life was desaturated with all those stuff that most of others had, such as cool toys etc.

I would not say desaturated. (I think it actually isn't a word.) Instead I would have said two words, "not saturated"

And secondly, stuff is a singular word, which means you should have said "that stuff"

Finally, you should drop the word "of" in your phrase most of others to just say most others.

But remember where I began ... it was clear what you were trying to say. (Just ever so slightly "broken".)

Keep up the great work!

Edited by ginginca (see edit history)

It seems to me that CrazyPensil (although in America it is spelled pencil) has a goo command of the English language...mush better that most. In these forums though some seem to act as though they need to use abbreviated terms like u and r which if you pay for your connection by the minute or hour would be appropriate but I know of few that do so in America even with a dialup account.

The days of such are almost if not completely over to have to abbreviate your thoughts. It sems that you should only increase your vocabulary of the English language as used worldwide. It is the language of commerce and shipping and air lines worldwide so use it often and speak often with others that use it as a native language and also as a second language. For myself of course this is easy since I was born in the USA and that is mostly what I hear and speak.

Your sentences are put together quite well as spoken and written language using the grammer and syntax with very few errors, punctuation is my weak point as I tend to use commas in inappropriate places (just look at my old English Composition records in college).

All in all CrazyPensil I believe you just need some polishing of the written word, so just keep making posts and we here will aid you along in the process.

If you don't live in or near Quebec in Canada you have likely never heard of something called BILL 101.Bill 101 came out a few dacades ago (early 80's I believe) as a goal to protect the french language and culture in Quebec. Quebec is a province which is primarily french-speaking, while most of Canada is english. Some of the laws that were part of bill 101 were that children who were born in Quebec must go to a french speaking school, and that all signage whether road signs or commercial signage had to be in french.In 1985 I was a teenager and attended a 6 week summer camp which was french, near Quebec City. I was one of only a handful of people who spoke english, but was fluent in French.A young lady asked told me that she thought it was unfair that she had no opportunity to learn english and felt that it was going to hold her back as an adult. I agreed with her. Not because english was my first language, but because so much of the world's commerce is in english. And as houdini pointed out, it is also the language of airlines and freight/transport.I really applaud people who see the benefit of learning languages. And it is easier to do when you are young. (BTW my daughter goes to a French Immersion schoool even though we live in a part of Canada that is likely 99% english.)Way to go CrazyPensil. Keep up the good work. And in Canada it is also spelled Pencil :P

I want to ask you something about Turkish. What does word "bre" means?

It's from old turkish... I't smth that is like... "Hey"... No turkish men use it at the moment.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for mantioning(correctly spelled?) all my mistakes.... I'mma remember those...

Thanks for a good mark, but i don't think the one of mine is above 3.5)

It seems to me that CrazyPensil (although in America it is spelled pencil)

I know, but when i was creating my nickname, i did not... Later I learned the real spelling, but decided to keep that variant. Also, it reminded me the 'pensive' word)

Some questions have emerged(came out, gone off, shown up, appeared, rised up, ......?) about your post:

goo=?

aid=?

Bill 101 came out a few dacades ago (early 80's I believe)

Ummmm... isn't it spelled as 'decade'?

Thanks for mantioning(correctly spelled?) all my mistakes.... I'mma remember those...

Thanks for a good mark, but i don't think the one of mine is above 3.5)

I know, but when i was creating my nickname, i did not... Later I learned the real spelling, but decided to keep that variant. Also, it reminded me the 'pensive' word)

Some questions have emerged(came out, gone off, shown up, appeared, rised up, ......?) about your post:

goo=?

aid=?

Ummmm... isn't it spelled as 'decade'?

Not mantioning, it is correctly spelled mentioning

goo in his post was more than likely a typing mistake of the word good

he uses the word aid to compare to helping, so for example to aid someone would mean to help or assist them. I am fully fluent in 3 languages, english being my first, and 4 other languages i have a good knowlege of as far as listening goes.

Heres something to think on. In this im going to use some words that even in casual english speech are sort of overkill.

When i was younger i often speculated on the reoccuring topic of speaking various tounges. But what deterred me was the proclivity others that at birth spoke another language. For some errant reason was drawn to ranting enigmatic phrases to people in languages they couldnt understand. But here i am now, showing a rather astute comprehension of many common dialects, the only discrepancy from my aspirations of foreign language was i use it for productive reasons, not just to baffle people in fast-spoken jibberish.

And you mentioned slang... i dont mean to violate the Xisto terms of service, but here we go.

Back in grade school, language as far as my GPA went, smacked me upside the head often. mostly, i sucked at it because i was happy with spitting out random phrases instead of jumping on the bandwagon of the kids that actually wanted to get the language in thier head.

Simple words, just a few concepts that are far from russian language... remember, this is REALLY light slang, nowadays, the more common type is heavy, heavy meaning that alot of words or phrases really dont have a reasonable meaning to how they are said/spelled, and commonly, they describe things that would be looked down upon on theese forums :P

Oh and survey sais...... desaturated IS a word in the english dictionary, but it really only is used to describe colors. But i see how you could have used that saturated meaning having a ton of stuff(which more often is used as a plural, while as far as the words connecting it go is grammatically referred to as a singular reference :P ) and adding an "un" to it to say the opposite of it. , and someone would understand what your trying to say, but yeah you asked for help. :P

Edited by mirdux (see edit history)

I sure wish I was fluent in more than just one language. I'm trying to learn French and Spanish, but it's quite difficult considering I don't really have any exposure to properly spoken Spanish, and my exposure to French is extremely limited. I do think it's absolutely great that you're wanting to learn more about English. I would love to be able to speak a second language fluently! ;) And...I was trying to think of some slang phrases that I could throw out for you to learn, but I honestly can't seem to come up with any at the moment. Ah well, maybe I'll think of some later and post them here. Good luck with becoming more comfortable and precise with the English language! Heh, like the word "epitome". You don't say it like it looks. You're probably already familiar with this word, but if you're not, it is pronounced - "eh pit oh mee". And...words like "rough", "dough", "through", and "cough"....it's just insane how they can all have a familiar spelling toward the end, but are pronounced so differently. Oh! And then we have words that are spelled the same but can mean different things. Or, words that sound the same but are spelled very differently. It's just crazy! I'm amazed by anyone who manages to actually maintain a grasp of English when it's not their first language. : ) So yes, as I said earlier, I wish you the best of luck with it.