xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hercco

Google Bought Youtube

People keep forgetting a huge difference between google and microsoft. Microsoft became the most popular in many areas because it was the ONLY option for those areas for a long time (or at least the only viable solution in those areas.) Google on the other hand became the most popular search on its own merits, released the best online email on its own merits, and is now aquiring various companies that each made their own names. A conglomeration of the best of the best seems like a good idea to me. If there is going to be a monopoly, might as well be one we benefit from.

Googles the ad-king. I guess it makes sense. I have to admit google's online stuff is top notch. I like the spreadsheet thing. GMail is great. I don't look for them to really do anything to youtube. Since it's already got plenty of visits, they'll just maintain it and continue to profit from the ad-game I guess.Crazy google and their world domination scheme.

I don't like idea of big companies buying smaller ones. Today all big companies take over small ones, and what will happen in future. Maybe we will end up with only one huge company that will control everything. That will be very bad, unless we turn from capitalism to comunism.

Wow, this is very interesting news...wonder if they will change the name of their website...is it going to be called "GOOGLETUBE?" haha, but wow...so many changes happening. I also have been told that Tom sold "myspace" to someone as well. I guess everything seems to be on the market now a days. I think I want to create something one day and sell "it" for billions of dollars, haha...

Of course everything is on the market, why do you think these people create these sites? Sure often its thinking that they have a cool idea, but usually they're also thinking "I bet I could make a few bucks off this..." and then when someone offers then enough money to live off of without working for the rest of their life? no wonder they all sell quickly...Oh, and I prefer 'Gootube' as a new name personally

To be honest, I don't know how well this is going to work out? Personally, I think Google could have spent the money somewhere else than on YouTube. Like maybe improving their web service to something like geocities & less "noobish". That would be nice. YouTube was fine the way it was.[N]F

I want to ask something, I never saw a google site with their own ads on the site, is it true..? I browse with privoxy and never see any ads or affiliates, but I don't think that they put ads on their own sites. :P

google have google ads on its site.. except gmail..
but the way google controls the google ads.. it is kinda different..

they have lots of proxy servers and website version aim at specific regions..
on my country.. when they introduce the region server.. the searches turn up faster..

bout google ads.. not all region can see google ads.. i guess they have a pretty good ads targetting scheme.. like why would a person in asia need to view peoples ads selling stuff locally in america..
makes sense.. something other ads services lacks..

Wow Google is going for world domination :PThe company's history is quiet spectacular.They started off with a simple search engine way back and now they have:-original Google-Google Code Search (were you can search public code)-Gmail and also Google Talk-Google Earth-Google Video (now with youtube)-Webhosting-various software (sketchup,...)-own OS (still to be released)Sorry if I forgot something, hard to keep track of all googles activities lately :PPretty amazing, I'm awaiting the next big hit from google soon :P

bout google ads.. not all region can see google ads.. i guess they have a pretty good ads targetting scheme.. like why would a person in asia need to view peoples ads selling stuff locally in america..

makes sense.. something other ads services lacks..

I never see any Google ads these days. All the result of lovely Adblock! :P

I guess Google finally gave up Google Video. Though I'd say Google Video isn't necessarily worse than YouTube, just that they didn't offer what the common person wanted (to embed them into websites) and lacked the reputation (even if it did come from Google. Ex: if Google were to create an image processing thing like Flickr, users wouldn't migrate to it just because it was from Google. The brand name is Flickr, so they'll use that instead.). And the biggest problem: Google Videos always took longer to load (at least for me) than their YouTube counterparts. It's probably because they have better quality, but it might be better to offer different choices for the high-quality and low-quality version of a video instead of forcing users to wait for ten minutes downloading a video.

But all in all...it was definitely smarter to buy YouTube than to keep on working on the not-really-succeeding Google Video. XD