xisto Community
mariamb

Turn And Log On Computer Automatically Turn and log on computer automatically

I understand about to to set the computer start on automatically.However, my computer required user ID and password to log on.(I can't remove the user ID and password).Is there anyway to start on and log on automatically together?Thank you.

I don't know what you mean by "I can't remove the user ID and password". Every user can change their own password in Windows XP (You do use XP, right?).

And you may not need to download Twaek UI to log on automatically, depending on how your computer is set up. Windows will skip the Welcome screen and log you in as soon as it starts up if you meet these 3 requirements:

The "Use the Welcome screen" option is checked

There is only one account on the computer (i.e. Yours)

The account has no password

That's how my computer is set up, by the way :P .

Actually without installing additional tools you just open Start | Run and type 'control userpasswords2' which will pop up showing a list of your users, you click on the one you want to automatically login, then you uncheck the box at the top (on linux so not sure what it says) and then it'll ask you to enter the password and re-enter it and that's it, auto-login.Cheers,MC

I think, Twaek UI from Microsoft can help you fro autologin!

Please check below for the details:

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/13494-topic/?findpost=87085

Good day. I have try to install Tweak UI but failed.

The message appear is "is not valid for win32 application".

I have check my computer system is Microsaft Window XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

Is there any other solution for that?

I don't know what you mean by "I can't remove the user ID and password". Every user can change their own password in Windows XP (You do use XP, right?).

And you may not need to download Twaek UI to log on automatically, depending on how your computer is set up. Windows will skip the Welcome screen and log you in as soon as it starts up if you meet these 3 requirements:

The "Use the Welcome screen" option is checked

There is only one account on the computer (i.e. Yours)

The account has no password

That's how my computer is set up, by the way :P .

How to ensure I meet the 3 requirements? I'm don't have much knowledge in computer application.

Actually without installing additional tools you just open Start | Run and type 'control userspassword2'

This is a Win2k shortcut, it does not work with windows XP.

# There is only one account on the computer (i.e. Yours)# The account has no password

The tweak trick has this advantage. Your still have several users, each user has a password, the screensaver has a password, so everything is secured. Simply, the default user is asked no password at boot time, exactly with the old "control userpasswords2" thing.

userpasswords2 is also available for WinXP Pro, I don't know about Home edition. Verified by myself, since I use it quite a lot as well for auto-login and resetting administrator password.There's a tool, that will enable it to appear in the Control Panel, though I can't recall it's name, I don't use WinXP on a regular basis.Cheers,MC

userpasswords2 is also available for WinXP Pro

Unofortunately, it's not available in my WinXP Pro SP2.Maybe there is trick in order to make it available, wich seems strange because it's a command line statement.

Unofortunately, it's not available in my WinXP Pro SP2.Maybe there is trick in order to make it available, wich seems strange because it's a command line statement.

i guess this is another case of the safe mode boot up shortcut where 1/3 have the shortcut installed, 1/3 have the shortcut bring them to somewhere else and 1/3 dont have the shortcut installed..

it worked on me.. i have windows xp pro SP1 edition 2002 release cd.. i am now patched to windows SP2.
have no running DNS server and not a part of a corporate network except the router network system of my internet provider..

Of course you could always do it in the registry, If you feel comfortable Navigate to Hkey Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowNT\current version\winlogonand edit or create the following keysAutoAdminLogon = 1DefaultDomainName = 'computername'DefaultUserName = 'user account you would like to autologon with'DefaultPassword = 'password for the above account'

QUOTE(mastercomputers @ Oct 10 2006, 06:18 AM) *
Actually without installing additional tools you just open Start | Run and type 'control userspassword2'

This is a Win2k shortcut, it does not work with windows XP.

i have used this shortcut with windows xp professional sp2 and it works like a charm. windows xp home may not work though!

Of course you could always do it in the registry, If you feel comfortable Navigate to Hkey Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowNT\current version\winlogon
and edit or create the following keys
AutoAdminLogon = 1
DefaultDomainName = 'computername'
DefaultUserName = 'user account you would like to autologon with'
DefaultPassword = 'password for the above account'

To expand on that for people who don't know how to edit the registry in Windows:
Just go to Start/Run, and type "regedit". That opens the registry editor. On the left pane you have the browser - press the + sign to the left of the name to open the folder. Use the folders that in2computers pointed out, then finally click on the Winlogon folder. The right pane has a table of values. The left column in the table shows the name of the values, and the right shows the content of the value. Find the value names in2 pointed out. If they are there (should be alphabetical order), double click and change the value to what is appropriate - often they may already have the correct value, i.e. the domain and/or username. If a value does not exist, click Edit > New > String Value. For the name, put the name of the missing value, and for the value, put whatever the value should be.

Be careful with the registry if you do not know what you are doing - most programs rely on it to function, including Windows.

I am not sure if this would work in XP. If it does not, there might be a similar folder (i.e. WindowsXP instead of WindowsNT) that performs the same function. If you cannot find the key, do not attempt to create it. You may be able to find it using the search function (Ctrl+F), but the search is slow and kind of annoying, so browsing is easier if you know the folder.

i have used this shortcut with windows xp professional sp2 and it works like a charm. windows xp home may not work though!

I have several computers in my house that run several different operating systems and that shortcut does in fact work with Windows XP Home. It also works fine with Windows XP Media Center Edition.