xisto Community
bad-and-ugly

Somebody Take A Look At My Pictures And Comment, Please Specially if you like portraits

Hello everyone

I'm a photography student in college, I post my pictures here -> https://www.flickr.com/browser/upgrade/?continue=%2Fphotos%2Fbad-and-ugly%2F

Check it out when you have the time, and tell me what you think '=)

Nice pics friend!

But pics are having some strange colors! :P

Is it the problem with camera or did you applied some effects to those pictures??

:P

Thank you, I'm glad you liked them '=) The photographs on page one were made with coloured flash, that's why they're pink (except for the one that's yellow) and the photographs on page 2 were made either under fluorescent light (green) or incandescent light (yellow). When I was going to correct the colours of the pictures in page 2, I decided to play a little bit '=)

I'm mostly into portraits, but enjoy other things too. I'm not so much into nature and landscapes, I prefer architecture; but I love landscapes show with infrared film '=)Are you guys familiar with that website Flickr.com?

There are some amateur photo contests out there that you can enter if you are a hobbyist photographer and you can win some cool prizes.I entered one recently and was pleased with becoming a semi-finalist.Gin

Flickr is really cool because it's not only a place to store and showcase your photos, it's also a network of photographers and "collections" of pictures. There are many groups there, you can join them and post pictures from your photostream in the group. I can't really explaing it in English, but if you produce a lot of images, you should give it a try ;-)I know of one amateur photo contest which seems cool, they have many different themes. It's at http://jpgmag.com/live/

Your pictures are interesting...it's true that on some of the pictures the color tone is a bit weird, but for the most part, it adds this really warm feeling to it. In other words, on some pics that camera effect turned out well, while on other pics not so much. For instance, I think the effect works well on 'Caroleta' but not so much on 'Lipcia'. Anyways, just my two cents.Btw, yeah, Flickr is really nice. I like how it automatically resizes your photos and doesn't add random borders/ads on them unlike some image hosting services do. Of course, the only downside is that every image must include a link to Flickr. =(

thank you for your opinion, Arbitrary '=) I don't know which "Lipcia" you're talking about, but I like all of them better than "Caroleta"! ;-) I think one of the few downsides of Flickr is that the resized photos are some times over sharped...Tomorrow I think I'm going to shoot something different, during daylight, hopefully in the rain. I'll post here when I upload '=D

Well, I gave it a brief overlooking because I'm not going to look at 200 pictures right now. (I'm at work :P)Obviously when you're dealing with portraits and people there are some factors which the photographer cannot control (I'm sorry, but I don't look like a model myself). Some of the people in your photos are just not aesthetic enough in my taste to allow the viewer an objective judgement of the art. That's the problem with portraits. Choosing to work with such a "controversial" subject requires great confidence, but it shows you have real passion towards your camera and subjects.I liked the photo of Vivi and Katoka a lot, as it shows, to my interpretation a "blurred" image of love and caring, along with the stream of lightning in the background, showing passion and lust. The image of Dandan is also quit appealing to my eyes. I liked the pictures of Renan, Mae and Natasha, as they are simplistic and set on a naturally beautiful backdrop.I think the picture that I liked best from the 5-6 pages I looked at was of Natasha and Vinicius on what appears to be a train. The very confident and outward personality of Natasha, clashing against the simpleton and partly unkept (but in a good way) look of Vinicius. The backdrop of seats gives the inclination of a journey, a sort of methaphore for the road the two have made in their supposed relationship (that's what the picture implies to me)... the road that brings them together from both sides of the world (and their opposite position on the personality spectrum).The pictures of the Orquestra Imperial really capture the essence of a lively performance. I know that as a performer myself, and it really brings me back to my band's show from a week ago. I can totally feel the surreal experience of being up on stage and doing your magic... all the while not really comprehending the situation. Performing is really something that makes you unaware of your actions, and lets your intuition propel you to give energetic and emotional shows.All in all, good work! In my eyes, I would appreciate a bit less "digitized" pictures, and a bit more simplistic and minimalistic portraits. Also, as in the picture of Dandan, let everyone emphasize their most aesthetic features (in reference to Dandan's eyes).

Kind of unsettling feel I got when I went through the first few pages of the photographs. As seec77 mentioned, I usually prefer photographs that are more minimalastic but have a depth of characterization in them.I have learnt one thing in Potrait Photgraphy. An amature can take great photographs of people, only if they are are extremely odd or really beautiful in an average sense. That brings out the character very easily. It takes a real professional to take great photographs of average or common looking people. (Example, me :P)Anyway, those were my - as they say - two cents, and the decision is yours to make on the style you approach.

I think that a good portrait is one that really defines someone as an indidual. It tells a story and reveals something about the subject's character, personality or life. So when taking a photographic portarait I think that you should think about what exactly makes them who they are and call attention to that. A portrait may not even require to have a person's face in focus as long as it tells something about them. Imagine a photograph focusing in on an elderly persons hands. The face might be completely blurred , but the old cracked hands might reveal that that person worked very hard, maybe on a farm his whole life. When you take a picture try framing/cropping it so that t really focuses on what the photois about.

Let's use the following photo for an example:

Posted Image

What if you xoomed in on the action of the photograph and cropped it so that so the fist and the mouth took up the entire photo. By eliminating unneeded information for the picture I think that it makes the action and focus of the picture more clear. You don't need to show someones entire face for the viewer to know that someone is getting hity in the face.

Regarding the broght colors, I think that I would refer to see somewhat more natural color or black and white.

If there is a specific image that the unnatural color might help, then use it, but it seems like it is being used on many pictures without any real purpose.

Those are my suggestions. :P

I love portraits photography. And I think that from each "normal" person you could have a very nice picture. Of course, sometimes you have to try several times (sometimes several tens of times). When the portrait is nice, I'm proud to show it.If not, I simply hide it somewhere on my own PC, waiting for the next occasion of taking a nice picture.