xisto Community
Grafitti

Just Got A New Laptop.... a couple questions

I bought an Acer Aspire 5601WLMI for $850 after rebates. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 ML-50 processor, 2 GB DDR2 ram, 120GB hard drive, 15.4 in brightview widescreen, etc. I did alot of online research before i bought it, as I don't like Acers, and would have gone for a Compaq or Dell had i had more time. But it seemed to get pretty high reviews, and on notebookreview.com it was in the top 5. But has anyone here had any experience with one of them, and can shed more light on whether i made myself a deal or a lemon?Also, say i was to try out Linux on it, would i run into problems with either the AMD or the dual core? and if not, which distro would be best for an Acer? --keeping in mind that i am a novice at linux and would prefer a familiar GUI so i don't feel too lost on my first try.

I bought an Acer Aspire 5601WLMI for $850 after rebates. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 ML-50 processor, 2 GB DDR2 ram, 120GB hard drive, 15.4 in brightview widescreen, etc. I did alot of online research before i bought it, as I don't like Acers, and would have gone for a Compaq or Dell had i had more time. But it seemed to get pretty high reviews, and on notebookreview.com it was in the top 5. But has anyone here had any experience with one of them, and can shed more light on whether i made myself a deal or a lemon?
Also, say i was to try out Linux on it, would i run into problems with either the AMD or the dual core? and if not, which distro would be best for an Acer? --keeping in mind that i am a novice at linux and would prefer a familiar GUI so i don't feel too lost on my first try.

I do actually have some bad experience with Acer, but thats an older laptop.
I would definitely recommend Ubuntu as your Linux dist, I had no problem with it as my first Linux dist. I dont think you will get any problems with either AMD or the Dual Core :P

a friend of my has an Acer Ferrari, it's a good laptop, but the screen sucks (glares too much imho).

For linux there are 3 options, Ubuntu, Fedora or Suse. Those are 3 'easy' distro's, they have great tools to configure it. A litlle tip for Ubuntu, Easyubuntu ( http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/ ) does even more for you :P .
If you get more experience and want a challenge, get slackware or debian, they are a bit harder and require some more knowledge (or in case you'd want to have a steep learning curve).

On the hardware side you'll probably run into a lot of issues because it's a fairly new laptop and linux doesn't recognise that very well (especialy wireless lan might be a problem). Just try it and if it doesn't work, them come and post overhere so we can help you :P

the only concern I have on that laptop for Linux is that Linux doesn't have a 3D driver for SiS based chips, as far as I've read on the Internet.Furthermore, I highly recommend Acers, they are great! They are one of the top 5 laptops preferred at my school!xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

Congragulations dude! On your new laptop. Well, I've been contemplating to buy a laptop for a while now. Yet to choose my model. Was contemplating on Compaq V3000 series or DELL INSPIRION Series (E1405 and E1505). In fact there are great offers going on for these laptops in USA. If interested go to thier sites and check them.To be frank ACER was not there in my search list at all. First it's a little expensive (Or atleast in INDIA it is so). Second it never appealed to me. ACER laptops always look good, but not really sure about the performance. I've heard that their display is patchy....When it comes to operating system, WINDOWS is a default choice. Simply because there are too many linux versions to choose from and all lack one feature or the other. SUSE, UBUNTU, FEDORA are the best ones out there.... (Latest version of SUN SOLARIS is also FREE. You can try that too). If you can get Solaris, then I guess you don't need WINDOWS. Otherwise I suggest make your system dual boot and once you're too sure that the linux caters all your needs you may continue in LINUX. (Which I believe in your country is not possible as you may have to buy windows to use it! Here in INDIA pirated CDs of Windows make merry!!!!).(You have'nt mentioned if you have Windows already, I assume you don't have it)Fedora and Ubuntu have good user interface. I think they suite you the most if you already have Windows. Solaris is supposed to be the best, I've never used it.

Well after i finally found where i posted this, i read your suggestions and tried Ubuntu. so far i haven't run into any problems, but still I find myself using windows more (dual-boot). also it runs rather slowly, but that could be due to the hard disk, which is only 4200 rpm. I've noticed major fragmentation issues. again, i don't know if this has to do with the speed of the hard disk, but i use diskeeper to defrag, and say i totally defrag it, and it gives me a 0 or 1 % fragmentation when i'm finished, i'll restart the laptop and it will be at 5 or 6 %, and this is without any other disk activity. why would this be happening? Other than that, i haven't had any complaints with it. the battery life on my 8 cell is nearly 6 hours. screen is great, only say if i were comparing it to a dell or compaq, the acer needs to be treated much more gently.But for the graphics card, i haven't had problems with Linux, as it's an Ati Radeon Xpress 1100.Would i recommend this laptop? Yes. definitely, at this price. if i were to have spent $1000 or more, my choice would probably have been the Dell 6400.

I got one for 800 + tax from DellSo far I like itsome specifications as follows Intel® Core2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition 15.4 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard DriveIntegrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capabilityIntegrated Audio, Dell Wireless 1390b/g (54Mbps) ,53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Battery and 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home ServicI think its a fair bargain

Hey congrats on the Acer, i personally prefer sony vaio's. They have great dislpays and are excellent at producing high quality graphics. Try debian core distro its an amazing os.

Definitely the Dell you got was a bargain. I think it's the same one i was going for, but i didn't have the two weeks needed to wait for the customization. I also had a Vaio and Powerbook in my wishlist, but i couldn't afford them... :)

Definitely the Dell you got was a bargain. I think it's the same one i was going for, but i didn't have the two weeks needed to wait for the customization. I also had a Vaio and Powerbook in my wishlist, but i couldn't afford them... :)

Well the customized VAIO FS serious are like 650- 1700. Like i got a really good one for 900 which was fully loaded at BEST BUY!!!

Hey ppl! Even i've got a laptop, not new, its an year or so old. I've never gone into details with it. It a compaq nx5000. Could you tell me whether its good for gaming or not? I don't know much about it. thnx

I hear Acer and Gateway are horrible. :mellow:

Hey ppl! Even i've got a laptop, not new, its an year or so old. I've never gone into details with it. It a compaq nx5000. Could you tell me whether its good for gaming or not? I don't know much about it. thnx

What are the specs?
Edited by Amaralin (see edit history)