xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ed :P

World Of Warcraft

World of Warcraft It's basically a runescape with better graphics, but costs money every month.It's not bad if you dont ussually play a game long so you'll save the $30 - $40 you'de spend on a new game but if you ussually gat addicted to games like this, stick to something free. I've played it once and got bored of it but my friends basically addicted to it. he gives it a 9 / 10 i give it a 6 / 10. just depends on who you want to listen to :P

World of Warcraft
It's basically a runescape with better graphics, but costs money every month.
It's not bad if you dont ussually play a game long so you'll save the $30 - $40 you'de spend on a new game but if you ussually gat addicted to games like this, stick to something free. I've played it once and got bored of it but my friends basically addicted to it. he gives it a 9 / 10 i give it a 6 / 10.

just depends on who you want to listen to :P

Honestly its a 10/10.
Have been playing it for some time now and I really have to say it is almost perfect. Think blizzard though about everything to make people addicted :P

Honestly its a 10/10.Have been playing it for some time now and I really have to say it is almost perfect. Think blizzard though about everything to make people addicted :P

I wouldn't rate that high.
The storyline isn't as good as in other blizzard games, and the graphics are very outdated. On the other hand, it is really huge and lets you develop quite different games as different characters. Though it's too focused on time spending, not really skill as I'd expect in games in general. That's basically why so many people get addicted to it. If you don't play 24/7, you'll fall behind other players in gold, experience, and most important... Items! The game is so item intensive it is sometimes frustrating...
Edited by KDEWolf (see edit history)

The thing I find about WoW that sets it apart from many other MMO's is the shear size of the game world. If you are sick of a loading screen every 2 min then this is the game for you. The only time your going to see a loading screen in WoW is when entering or leaving an Instanced zone or when completly changing continents.

World of Warcraft
It's not bad if you dont ussually play a game long so you'll save the $30 - $40 you'de spend on a new game but if you ussually gat addicted to games like this, stick to something free. I've played it once and got bored of it but my friends basically addicted to it. he gives it a 9 / 10 i give it a 6 / 10.

just depends on who you want to listen to :P

Hmm... I have heard of runescape but never tried warcraft. It seams just like another RPG game's were you pay money to give you "character" items and experiences that you would be better off to do something else with (like going to Hawaii). I say if it says "pay by month" and there is no reason to (like if it doesn't help your business like a website does) than its probably a waist of money. Believe me I got addicted to RuneScape and played it for 3 hours a day for about 4 months (became a member and got all my states up to around 75). Now that I look back at it I waisted 372 hours of my life playing a game with less graphics than some platform games. I spent $20 to waist my life. I will say it again. DON'T WAIST YOUR LIFE TRYING TO PLAY THE ROLL OF A CARTOON!
~Thanks for reading~

Hmm... I have heard of runescape but never tried warcraft. It seams just like another RPG game's were you pay money to give you "character" items and experiences that you would be better off to do something else with (like going to Hawaii). I say if it says "pay by month" and there is no reason to (like if it doesn't help your business like a website does) than its probably a waist of money. Believe me I got addicted to RuneScape and played it for 3 hours a day for about 4 months (became a member and got all my states up to around 75). Now that I look back at it I waisted 372 hours of my life playing a game with less graphics than some platform games. I spent $20 to waist my life. I will say it again. DON'T WAIST YOUR LIFE TRYING TO PLAY THE ROLL OF A CARTOON! ~Thanks for reading~

Yes, I don't like much the monthly fee, not simply because it's monthly, but due to the fact that it's way more expensive than a maintenance tax. Paying for the bandwidth you use for gaming and the salary of Game Masters and technical support is valid, but paying for the "game" itself monthly is ridiculous. Maybe a fee increase when lots of new content arrives, but in the current shape I don't think it's fair. I used to be a big Blizzard Entertainment fan, but their greed is making them to be a little stupid.
I played both and I'm sticking to Guild Wars. You don't have per-month fees and you don't have to play hours and hours, during months, to be good at it.

World of Warcraft

That must be the dumbest thing I've read all week. Posted Image

It truelly is sad when people only rate a game based on its price, deem its way too expensive and can't explain why it is so immensely popular. Because after all, the game is expensive?

I had the best game experience ever while playing it, and you can easily keep yourself occupied with only WoW. I played it for about 2000 hours, with an account I can still sell. I spent around 200€ on it. 4 times the price of a normal game.

Thing is, I don't ever play a normal game for 500 hours. I think my second most game I played was around 350 hours.

The extra content they released so far (for free you dipshits, they're not as greedy as some claim here to be) was definitely worth it as well. They keep expanding and adding stuff on top of your monthly subscription. The content added to guild wars makes me laugh. I do own the game but didn't like it as much after playing WoW. I don't consider GW a MMORPG either, everything is instanced with max 8 players and combat too straightforward and very easy. Limited role. Dungeons are by far the same scope as WoW.

When a product grants you something others just can't, price comparisons are out of the question. You're just a bunch of poor teenagers whining if that is the only gripe or fact worth considering of this game. Posted Image

What WoW delivered gentlemen, was role-playing at last. And with that I don't mean pretending you're a Warrior of the Order of the Silverhand and chatting as such; but the dungeons/instances/world. The PvE encounters supress the other games BY FAR. Comparing it to runescape is something that can only be done by ignorant idiots that just state stuff without bearing the slightest knowledge of both games.

I'm not stating all should love WoW. I'm stating you shouldn't make ridiculous comparisons on games just like that.

The storyline isn't as good as in other blizzard games

You must be joking. There isn't a general storyline, its dozens and dozens of great storylines in this game as it is a world. The storylines from warcraft are all there. Moron. Personally I loved the storylines in smaller overlooked dungeons as well, Razorfen Downs, Deadmines, Stratholme ... They are all documentated with various conversations and in-game books etc. Deadmine story is all integrated in the country Westfall. It is unfair to compare Diablo and WoW by storyline as WoW just stumps Diablo as it should, it is a MMORPG.

and the graphics are very outdated.

That is another superficial remark. It looks cartoony, correct.

However, graphics include a lot of other aspects. The world, animation, immersion. For example; guild wars. Agreed, the models of GW definitely look better. Playing in the world however, does not. Each tree in WoW is unique for example, the lands aren't as flat as in other mmorpgs; it feels like different areas. GW maps however is just running down a path of open lands in a spiral. You can't jump somewhere off. Combat is usually done standing. You can't just fly over a land to someplace. I think the world feels a lot better in WoW to chars than the desert path looking Guild Wars. Consider the other stuff than just model polygons.

[...]

Well, pretending that I didn't notice you, Alegis, calling me moron and dipshit, just because I criticized a game you seem to worship and are addicted to, I'd like like to make some comments (just in case you feel like reading):
About the above posts being to you the dumbest thing you've read all week, that's probably because it was the only one you did read this week. I'd suggest you to play a little less WoW and go have other activities. I'm pretty sure that you're yourself a teenager (if not in biological age, at least in mental age) , and I'm glad your parents are rich enough to pay every month for your virtual fun. Once you realize that there are plenty more important things on a person's life, you'll possibly stop with your immature and spoiled attitude. Grow up, dude, and learn how to have a decent healthy discussion.

Nobody here rated the game only based on it's price or periodic fee. I'm not sure if you read all carefully, but each person had their own specific points besides the price tag.
It's quite obvious it's not that expensive in your specific case, for example. People with the whole day free to play PC Games might find spending 8 hours a day on it amusing. But, considering the fact that not everybody can do this, this isn't a fully valid point, at least it doesn't apply to anybody.
In WoW, if one cannot spend more than 8 hours per week playing it two basic things will happen: first, it'll take a long time to reach the fun part of the game, and once you reach it, you'll lose several times just for the lack of equipment and skill training, which is based upon play time. Second, you'll have a much more expensive game comparatively to people who can play the whole day.

I have no doubts you had your best game experience ever, as it can be seen by your post. I'm not sure if I ever played a game for that long, even ones like Starcraft I still play nowadays, or Baldur's Gate. I could also sell any of my games' CD-Keys as well, as I could get a high ladder rank and sell the account without even giving away a key.

You just have contradicted yourself, since you say they release it for free, but then you remember that's because of the monthly fee you pay. So, it's obviously not free.
Also, the extra content released is pretty much like any game expansion. They didn't even add new classes, and now they allow bizarre things like Horde Paladins and Alliance Shamans, things completely against Warcraft world lore. Just for the sake of making gaming balance easier for them. Two new races... new items and places. Nothing I didn't get in Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo II or any other games' expansions.
I'm sorry but that's the big truth...

About GW, I won't dare calling it a MMORPG or not. People seem to call games what they want to. Where in the hell is Diablo II really an RPG? For making linear quests and spending skill points? This is definitely *not* the definition of a RPG game.

About your point about a product granting something others can't, this is *completely subjective*.
For you who have lots of spare time, it might look that way. WoW has more things to do than GW has, so you can waste your entire week in front of the PC.

To me, free time is not as much a "free" good. Then, having a game I can play as much I want a week and still not being slain by better equipment is a must. That's basically why I like much more Guild Wars than your belove WoW.

Actually, what WoW delivered was events like this: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/86370-topic/?findpost=1064320835
I'm not sure about Runescape, but I can tell many much better PvE games. Diablo, Baldurs Gate and Elder Scrolls franchises for instance. Play One of the last two and then you'll know what is nearest to the real roleplaying of a RPG.

I'm pretty sure not everybody doesn't love WoW, and can't talk about the comparisons with Runescape, for example, since I barely know the game.

About the storyline... Well...
If you call making random chain quests that were created based on Warcraft World lore, fixing inaccuracies and conflicts with the old stories, a storyline, then I won't argue with you. If you mean it can't have a main plot since theoretically it couldn't happen many times, and that the point on a MMORPG is acting like yourself, it's not true as well. You simply cannot do whatever you want in the game, or even basic RPG things like killing citizens of your own, or stealing, etc. That's where your definition of roleplay fails badly. The game imposes so many restrictions that it doesn't allow real roleplay.
I'm not saying Blizzard employees didn't had their time documenting everything and making the story at least a little coherent. I'm saying it doesn't offer you a plot, neither the ability to do all the things you should be able to do for roleplaying.

About the graphics, I'm well aware that they're cartoony.
I agree they had an wonderful job making many kinds of somehow detailed scenarios, and they give a nice immersion feeling to the gaming experience. But I was mainly talking about the rendering engine, which is kind of poor compared to other games. It needs too much power processing for no that much eye candy.
I wasn't comparing WoW to GW in every aspect. Indeed GW scenarios lack some "life" let's say.

Also remember that your so belove World of Warcraft was deserted by *key* coders and software engineers, together with some artists. People who founded Blizzard Entertainment, created the very first Warcraft series, as Diablo and Starcraft ones. Even they didn't like the greedy way the company was heading to (search over the net and find it out). Guess where they are right now? Ah yes, developing Guild Wars... quite fun.

After all, the only thing I can say is:
Rich, spoiled, teenager, with lots of free time and patience to do item and skill farming the whole week - Play WoW, is suits your personality and empty schedule perfectly.
Person with not so free much time/no patience/poor - Play Guild Wars or another game, even offline ones, you might feel it's perfect for you.
Person who doesn't care - Go play soccer, it's much nicer...

Nobody here rated the game only based on it's price or periodic fee. I'm not sure if you read all carefully, but each person had their own specific points besides the price tag.

Reread the first post, or sparkx (who did admit never played the game yet made such a statement anyways). Now rethink that statement. Their criteria for their reviews were way too superficial. As well as comparing Azeroth to runescape, it showed ignorance. The only similiar point is that it is an RPG with levels.

About GW, I won't dare calling it a MMORPG or not. People seem to call games what they want to. Where in the hell is Diablo II really an RPG? For making linear quests and spending skill points? This is definitely *not* the definition of a RPG game.

A misinterpretation from your part that shows you did not really read my post. MMOrpg. GW is an RPG. Not an MMO because everything is instanced to little servers like diablo. Diablo is not an MMOrpg either. Notice how I put the emphasis on MMO. Massive multiplayer online. The massive is definitely missing, as well as immersion in the map where movement and skills are very limited.

I'm not sure about Runescape, but I can tell many much better PvE games. Diablo, Baldurs Gate and Elder Scrolls franchises for instance. Play One of the last two and then you'll know what is nearest to the real roleplaying of a RPG.

Now you're comparing the single-player aspects of very good RPGs (which I do know about and played) to an MMORPG. I'm wondering where you are heading; but this shows limited knowledge of MMOs. Of course it is much easier to implement the role you play in a SP and change the world. In MMO it is as co-op (compare to dungeons such as Blackwing Lair. Oh wait, everyone here that rated WoW lvled to 10 or something.

This isn't about me defending WoW; which I wouldn't care to do; but show the superficial arguments used for comparison or at least the lack of mentioning the ignorance of what WoW is. I do not review a game after only playing it 10 seconds.

Notice that the average player of WoW is not a teenager with too much spare time, it can be played by many different people (usually adults which can raid until late in the night). With Burning crusade and such it is made much more casual friendly (25man instead of 40 and such), which is a good thing methinks but I won't be playing it again as I'm too busy with other stuff to indulge myself again in ANY mmo.

Also, the extra content released is pretty much like any game expansion. They didn't even add new classes, and now they allow bizarre things like Horde Paladins and Alliance Shamans, things completely against Warcraft world lore. Just for the sake of making gaming balance easier for them. Two new races... new items and places. Nothing I didn't get in Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo II or any other games' expansions.

I'm sorry but that's the big truth...

Was against it too at first, but makes sense. No use in adding new classes.

See, for Guild Wars you can just add some class for pvp that uses some new skills. In WoW it is extremely delicate because of the dungeons, pve encounters and loot distribution. It is nowhere like Guild Wars where you just spam one of 8 spells while standing on a target that is announced. Mob hitting you? Just run away. Aggro control is too limited to really make it fun. Making the factions equal allowed them to better balance dungeons. Anyways, I liked it more if it were more to the lore. "Stealing the light" or space shamans sounds as ridiculous to me as to you. But how things were heading with the dungeons, it was too tough to keep up. If I were playing i'd preferred a different solution. But the shamans or paladin thing is irrelevant; lore got strengthened in many other ways. This lore ****up is the sole exception.

You just have contradicted yourself, since you say they release it for free, but then you remember that's because of the monthly fee you pay. So, it's obviously not free.

Well, meant not in extra expansions such as Guild Wars. Burning Crusade adds much more than a GW anyways. You are right I was unclear in that aspect. Paying monthly for games means servers and securing game's maintenance. If it weren't for the updates I wouldn't have played for more than 4 months.

yes, soccer and sports are fun. But don't join game discussions and tell people to play soccer :\ Posted Image

Reread the first post, or sparkx (who did admit never played the game yet made such a statement anyways). Now rethink that statement. Their criteria for their reviews were way too superficial. As well as comparing Azeroth to runescape, it showed ignorance. The only similiar point is that it is an RPG with levels.

Yes, that might be true. Still, I don't think their only reason was for the price. But indeed they didn't argument enough to support their opinions.

A misinterpretation from your part that shows you did not really read my post. MMOrpg. GW is an RPG. Not an MMO because everything is instanced to little servers like diablo. Diablo is not an MMOrpg either. Notice how I put the emphasis on MMO. Massive multiplayer online. The massive is definitely missing, as well as immersion in the map where movement and skills are very limited.

Agreed.

Now you're comparing the single-player aspects of very good RPGs (which I do know about and played) to an MMORPG. I'm wondering where you are heading; but this shows limited knowledge of MMOs. Of course it is much easier to implement the role you play in a SP and change the world. In MMO it is as co-op (compare to dungeons such as Blackwing Lair. Oh wait, everyone here that rated WoW lvled to 10 or something.

Well I'm not sure about the others, but I had two lvl 60 characters at the time I played it (Undead Warrior and Gnome Warlock). I just couldn't stand farming years for equipment in overflown stances and training for skills. I didn't have enough time to spend on my further (and final) character development, that's why I dropped playing it.

Yes it's obliviously easier to implement such things in a RPG. Even it's MMO, the RPG part is part of the category name, and should be worked on as well. My point is that games are heading too much to "Massive Massive Online Massive Online Game" and are leaving original RPG elements. It was incredibly fun to many people (including me) making a Necromancer in Diablo II and giving him strength, vitality, and a two-handed sword. WoW lacks in this kind of gameplay/style customization. I don't like to have the same character as 100thousand people throughout the world. That's why I had an Undead Warrior, it was quite unusual.

You have no idea of how fun it is to play Baldur's Gate II online together with some friends. You'd often see yourself in a hard situation because a mad friend of yours killed some wicked magi, or stole gold from thethe waitress. Amazing...

Also since the section is called "Online Multiplayer RPG Games", I thought those games could apply to the comparison to some extent.

This isn't about me defending WoW; which I wouldn't care to do; but show the superficial arguments used for comparison or at least the lack of mentioning the ignorance of what WoW is. I do not review a game after only playing it 10 seconds.

Agreed, as stated above. Maybe they didn't get to the sweetest part of the game before reviewing.

Notice that the average player of WoW is not a teenager with too much spare time, it can be played by many different people (usually adults which can raid until late in the night). With Burning crusade and such it is made much more casual friendly (25man instead of 40 and such), which is a good thing methinks but I won't be playing it again as I'm too busy with other stuff to indulge myself again in ANY mmo.

Was against it too at first, but makes sense. No use in adding new classes.

I'm not that sure. The huge amount of people I did talk to at the time I was a WoW player were mostly teenagers who played for hours and hours per day. I didn't say it's impossible to get a time and develop a character, I mean it's much harder and slower to do it just playing the game sporadically.

See, for Guild Wars you can just add some class for pvp that uses some new skills. In WoW it is extremely delicate because of the dungeons, pve encounters and loot distribution. It is nowhere like Guild Wars where you just spam one of 8 spells while standing on a target that is announced. Mob hitting you? Just run away. Aggro control is too limited to really make it fun. Making the factions equal allowed them to better balance dungeons. Anyways, I liked it more if it were more to the lore. "Stealing the light" or space shamans sounds as ridiculous to me as to you. But how things were heading with the dungeons, it was too tough to keep up. If I were playing i'd preferred a different solution. But the shamans or paladin thing is irrelevant; lore got strengthened in many other ways. This lore ****up is the sole exception.

Yeah you're right on this. But I still think many things Blizzard added had influence on the, let's say, "original" lore. I can't swallow the Paladin/Shaman thing hehe.

Well, meant not in extra expansions such as Guild Wars. Burning Crusade adds much more than a GW anyways. You are right I was unclear in that aspect. Paying monthly for games means servers and securing game's maintenance. If it weren't for the updates I wouldn't have played for more than 4 months.

Sure, that's why I said it was completely fair to raise the fee in times of content update. The work of people has their value, and in the game industry it's each time higher.

yes, soccer and sports are fun. But don't join game discussions and tell people to play soccer :\ Posted Image

Hehehe well soccer is still a game... And it was just an absurd statement to maybe make someone who reads it remember of the real life. Sure you can always play some Winning Eleven... =p

I love World of Warcraft. Hands down it is the best MMORPG ever. I have tried others, such as Final Fantasy XI and Ragnarok Online, but World of Warcraft has been the best.Nice controls. Good graphics. Great People.I LOVE THIS GAME!Unfortunately, although I know it is unavoidable, I don't like the fee. $15 a month is kind of steep. I just can't always pay that. That's why, recently, I started up my own server. That way I don't have any fees, and I am a GM, so I have unlimited power. Summoning all the top instance bosses in Stormwind is really fun.

I love World of Warcraft. Hands down it is the best MMORPG ever. I have tried others, such as Final Fantasy XI and Ragnarok Online, but World of Warcraft has been the best.
Nice controls. Good graphics. Great People.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Unfortunately, although I know it is unavoidable, I don't like the fee. $15 a month is kind of steep. I just can't always pay that. That's why, recently, I started up my own server. That way I don't have any fees, and I am a GM, so I have unlimited power. Summoning all the top instance bosses in Stormwind is really fun.

Which WoW server emulator are you using right now?
Still, all of them need a lot of work... It doesn't compare to original servers.

Here in Spain , th eblizzard company is managing a hard spots transmission about the games warcraft an d Diablo, i dont know if th ecompany wants to increase the sales of the games in the market or if this publicity is for , that the game players stay in expectation for a new game like a beta version or a new update better and more functional.Reggards

I love World of Warcraft. Hands down it is the best MMORPG ever. I have tried others, such as Final Fantasy XI and Ragnarok Online, but World of Warcraft has been the best.

Nice controls. Good graphics. Great People.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Unfortunately, although I know it is unavoidable, I don't like the fee. $15 a month is kind of steep. I just can't always pay that. That's why, recently, I started up my own server. That way I don't have any fees, and I am a GM, so I have unlimited power. Summoning all the top instance bosses in Stormwind is really fun.

Yes, i must agree on this, World Of Warcraft is hands down the best MMORPG ever. The graphics, gameplay, features, and new constant additions added all outline a great online game. However, like most MMORPG's, it is addictive and takes you away from your own life. I have experienced lower grades at high school because of this game and i quit it. I would advise everyone not to play this game unless you really feel you have good self control.

Hmm. Best MMORPG EVER? Now that's a pretty bold statement, right there. True, WoW is very entertaining and it is a very captivating game. I have played it for many, many hours, and have had a very good time with it. I think though, that while it does indeed have many great aspects about it, sometimes the game just feels like it had the potential to be so much more. I wish, for instance, that the character creation capabilities were much more open. Sure, the races aren't too shabby, and the classes aren't all that bad or boring, but it seems like so much more could have been added. For a game that racks in millions of players, it seems that they really could've gone all out with the character creation. I quite enjoy the cartoony aspect of WoW, so I won't diss the graphics. After playing for quite some time though it seems like all of the armor and items look basically the same, excluding the Epic gear of course. After trying out guild wars I wished that WoW had a bit more flare to the armor and gear provided.You guys have already discussed the customization factior quite a bit though, so I guess all I can say is that I think WoW is indeed a great game. Personally I haven't found another that I can spend as much time playing. In the back of my mind though I know it could've been a really fantastic, knock-you-off-your-feet game, had it allowed the gamer to personalize it a bit more.