xisto Community
Ed :P

Get Things Done?

hotscripts.comalmost everyhings been done, maybe even better than you could do. they have basically everything because everyone uses it. I got a very nice portal for my website, i submit a few scripts of my own like random php scripts and some rating systems for different things (pictures, site total, with text)check it out

almost everyhings been done, maybe even better than you could do. they have basically everything because everyone uses it.

Then there shoudn't be any need for any more programmers and designers in the whole world....

Enverything that's been done, can be done even better. Maybe you're right in that the scripts you found are better than you could do. And they don't have everything anyone needs. What I need I make it myself. This is just another scripts site.

Just another site to submit what you like, doesn't mean they're better than what anyone can do. I haven't been to that site in ages because when I did, I just looked at the mess these scripts were in and never went back, I'd spend more time cleaning and securing a script than actually testing it out. In the end, it's far better to build the script yourself, though with time constraints, a little help to boost your work as well as getting some inspiration to help you along is good.Cheers,MC

Point in case.A global solution type will never out do a specific solution type, assuming both were written reasonably well.A global solution may try to tackle problems that you don't need to (inneficiency), or not tackle problems that you do need to (not enough features and support).Or it may just plain not to as good a job handling a particular problem on a large scale than you, I or someone else can on a scale of building it for a more dead-on specific purpose.

As mastercomputers pointed out, I also didn't visit that site for ages, but when I was a beginner in PHP, I really liked the resource, but most of the scripts didn't work the way I wanted, when I got quite advanced I wrote all the scripts myself and I really can say that they are better for me, due to I know how they work, I know how to edit them, but without any knowledge I doubt that all the scripts there will work with different php configurations, I don't understand why so many "bad" php scripts exists in that resource site, they would rather have someone really experienced who would test them or something, but of course that actually would be very hard on different versions and different configurations, different operating systems. In addition, hotscripts dot com isn't the best resource anymore, maybe it is one of the popular ones, but a lot much more sites like that appeared which as I remember offered much better scripts, even though there were less of them.. Also I remember I hated when I liked some script there and wanted to download it it pointed me to the maker of the script website, where you can't really always find it and moreover the site might be down..Most of the free PHP scripts are useless in my opinion, very good scripts usually aren't spread by programmers or just parts of them like classes, functions, etc. Even though, those scripts which aren't free on hotscripts also sucks, not all of course. :)

thanx this portal was helpful for me :)
it realy helps
downloaded this scipt:

OM3GA Sentinel - Anti-DoS & DDoS Hits: 870
Once you follow the simple installation procedure, you will be protected. The script will monitor your server load. Once your load hits 20 your site will automatically be disabled from processing php to prevent your server from crashing. At that point it will begin logging IP address that attempt to access the downed page. By using this method, OM3GA SENTINEL will stabalize your server load, regardless of how long you are being attacked. This program also has a very nice admin panel which can be viewed during or after an attack. It will display a neat log of all the IP's that attempted to access the downed page, and the number of times they tried to access it. The attacker's IP(s) are listed at the top of the page, so you can easily report them to thier ISP, and/or block thier IP's from accessing your page.

Commercial Version: 1.6 Platform(s): linux, windows, freebsd, osx, sun Updated: Sun Jun 11 2006

Edited by Aka_Bar (see edit history)

Point in case.
A global solution type will never out do a specific solution type, assuming both were written reasonably well.

A global solution may try to tackle problems that you don't need to (inneficiency), or not tackle problems that you do need to (not enough features and support).

Or it may just plain not to as good a job handling a particular problem on a large scale than you, I or someone else can on a scale of building it for a more dead-on specific purpose.

I agree... and I compare it to the use of JAVA when only one platform needs supported... or .NET when all you need is a dialog box... etc...

Everything can be improved.I know HotScripts is an excellent resource but depending on your needs, you may need to tweak the scripts a little other than your MySQL database names to get it working.I am not very good at PHP+MySQL, although I am learning from the W3Schools. I do grab scripts off of there occasionally.