xisto Community
96than

The Best Software To Compress Mp3s

What is the best software to compress mp3s in 24/32kbps?I need it so i can play them on my phoneI have tried some few but they give bad result when the mp3 is compressed..thanx in advance

What is the best software to compress mp3s in 24/32kbps?I need it so i can play them on my phone
I have tried some few but they give bad result when the mp3 is compressed..
thanx in advance

I use soundforge for converting my ringtones and most of my other audio editing needs, but Audacity is a freeware program that should be able to do what you need. You can lower the bass levels so you don't blow out the phone speaker, which may also prevent a crackling noise that sometimes happens wjen there is alot of base. Keep in mind that compressing to 24/32kbps is always going to result in a noticeable drop in quality. My phone's speaker isn't extremely clear anyway though so it doesn't really make a huge difference for me. You could try setting it at a higher bitrate if you are that worried about sound quality, but that will just result in a larger file. that may take up valuable space on the phone.

I use soundforge for converting my ringtones and most of my other audio editing needs, but Audacity is a freeware program that should be able to do what you need. You can lower the bass levels so you don't blow out the phone speaker, which may also prevent a crackling noise that sometimes happens wjen there is alot of base. Keep in mind that compressing to 24/32kbps is always going to result in a noticeable drop in quality. My phone's speaker isn't extremely clear anyway though so it doesn't really make a huge difference for me. You could try setting it at a higher bitrate if you are that worried about sound quality, but that will just result in a larger file. that may take up valuable space on the phone.

thanx :P i will try this right now!

Its something like this quality i want, and this one is only 16kbps, and about 600kb..

Always when im compressing with my software it comes an annoying 'whistle' sound in the background, maybe i got wrong settings?

Edited by 96than (see edit history)

thanx :P i will try this right now!

Its something like this quality i want, and this one is only 16kbps, and about 600kb..

Always when im compressing with my software it comes an annoying 'whistle' sound in the background, maybe i got wrong settings?

well I don't know where the whistling would come from unless it has something to do with the specific song that you are using. Also I forgot to tell you that if you use Audacity you will have to install the LAME encoder, available on the Audacity website (downlaods section) in order to export in the MP3 format.

I use EAC. This states for Exact Audio Copy.
And that's reight, the quality is rather correct.
Have a look here : http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

EAC is a new audio grabber for CD-ROM drives. The main differences between most other audio grabbers :
The cost of registration is low (just a postcard and a stamp)

It works with a new technology, reading audio CDs almost perfectly. If there are any errors that can't be corrected, it will tell you on which time position the (possible) distortion occurred, so you could easily control it with e.g. the media player

I wrote this software because I am fed up with other audio grabbers. I always had to listen to every grabbed wave because other audio grabbers only do jitter correction while CD-ROM drives reading scratched CDs often produce distortions. Listening to every wave is a waste of time. So in March I decided to write my own audio grabber, mainly for my friends and my personal use. That said, if you don't like this software - don't use it! I don't want to make any profit from it. I just want to use (and share) the best grabber ever programmed (in my eyes this is the most exact grabber). Most important for me is getting feedback from users, but more about that later.

Why do you need to register with a postcard? I've seen that a lot looking for shells.
Anyway, thanks, I had a similar question.

The EAC software is free : you download the software, and it works.
However, if you want to be a "real" registered user, you additionnally send a postcard with the words "I want to be a registered user". This costs you the money you paid for buying the postcard and the stamp.
However, registering with a postcard is not necessary for downloading and using the software.

I do all my audio editing with Adobe Audition.(1) It allows me to make whatever file format I want.(2) I can edit audio for video and keep them in sync.Another helpful utility the compresses but doesn't do any editing is called "Audio Archive Compressor". But I don't remember where I got it from. I have had it for a while.Have you tried Razor Lame?

Try Audacity. It's no Adobe Audition (which is what I also use) but it is a great tool which I also use sometimes on my system for smaller audio projects. It's completely free and is under constant development.